[SOLVED] 3600 mhz RAM stuck at 3200 mhz with DOCP on.

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
I rebuilt my system a few months back and noticed that my ram was running at 2133 mhz. I looked it up and found the articles on how to fix it however i could not achieve the advertised 3600 mhz. I was only able to get 3000, anymore and the system would try to boot 3 times then give up and revert back. While writing this post i went back in and slowly increased it from 3000 and i was finally able to get 3200 mhz. Ive also read several forum posts talking about enabling D.O.C.P and then manually setting the ram speed to 3600 mhz which didn't work. I also saw some posts saying that the Ryzen 7 3700x doesnt support 3600 memory but other people have said it does and shown it working. The chips are in slots B1 and A1 and I have also confirmed that the ram is on the motherboard's memory support list.

I have a decent understanding of the workings of a computer however this is beyond my current knowledge. If anyone is able to help and guild me on how to fix it, id be very thankful. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and ill try to answer quickly.

System specs:

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wifi)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Cooler Masters Hyper 212 Black edition
G.Skill TridentZ RB Series 16GB DDR4 3600mhz (exact spec F4-3600C16D-16GTZR)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC, Overclocked to 2.1 GHz.
Corsair CX 500w 80+ Bronze PSU.

WD Blue 250gb SSD
Seagate 1tb HDD (x2)

Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Hey there,

I'd suggest testing the ram outside of Windows, with memtest86+. Determine if the DIMMS are working as they should without errors in memtest.

Manually setting the ram is the default backup if DOCP isn't working. So it's kind of unusual.

I'd start with updating your bios. This will ensure maximum compatibility in terms of ram. Then test the DIMMS with memtest. If all is okay, then try set timings both by DOCP/manually (after bios update). Let us know how that goes.

Also, on a sidenote. If you are OC both CPU/GPU, I'd go right ahead and get rid of that CX500w PSU, and get something decent. You will be thankful for it. Whilst the PSU is 'okay', I wouldn't want it powering that system.
Hey there,

I'd suggest testing the ram outside of Windows, with memtest86+. Determine if the DIMMS are working as they should without errors in memtest.

Manually setting the ram is the default backup if DOCP isn't working. So it's kind of unusual.

I'd start with updating your bios. This will ensure maximum compatibility in terms of ram. Then test the DIMMS with memtest. If all is okay, then try set timings both by DOCP/manually (after bios update). Let us know how that goes.

Also, on a sidenote. If you are OC both CPU/GPU, I'd go right ahead and get rid of that CX500w PSU, and get something decent. You will be thankful for it. Whilst the PSU is 'okay', I wouldn't want it powering that system.

Solution

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
Hey there,

Ok so, after doing a BIOS update which was only 2 versions out of date. When set to 3600 mhz it still does the power on then off thing 3 times before saying instability was detected and it reverts to a safe point. I also ran Memtest86 and no errors were detected.

Ill add that the only way i was able to get it to 3200 mhz earlier, was to step it up one setting at a time. After getting it to 3200 and restarting it, thats where the power cycle thing started again.

My next purchase is going to be a hard drive as my game drive died a few months ago but after that yea i plan on getting a 650-700w PSU. Also i just have the CPU on base clock speeds, it boosts when under load. The GPU is the only thing i overclocked.

Ok so, after doing a BIOS update which was only 2 versions out of date. When set to 3600 mhz it still does the power on then off thing 3 times before saying instability was detected and it reverts to a safe point. I also ran Memtest86 and no errors were detected.

Ill add that the only way i was able to get it to 3200 mhz earlier, was to step it up one setting at a time. After getting it to 3200 and restarting it, thats where the power cycle thing started again.

My next purchase is going to be a hard drive as my game drive died a few months ago but after that yea i plan on getting a 650-700w PSU.

I'd get the PSU first. It could very well be the issue. Don't be hung up on wattage of a PSU. Whilst 650-700 seems like plenty, if it's a poor quality PSU, it will fail earlier, and potentially take out some hardware too. Heck, you could power your system just fine with a 550w quality gold PSU. Getting better quality is preferred to more power.

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
I'd get the PSU first. It could very well be the issue. Don't be hung up on wattage of a PSU. Whilst 650-700 seems like plenty, if it's a poor quality PSU, it will fail earlier, and potentially take out some hardware too. Heck, you could power your system just fine with a 550w quality gold PSU. Getting better quality is preferred to more power.
Ok, do you have any recommendations? Id like to get one that has a 8 pin and a 4 pin CPU connector if its possible, as my board has both. 4 pin incase the CPU needs extra power.

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Ah ok. I shall move them tomorrow and try again. Is there a reason for it or is that just what the board prefers? Common sense says start with b1/a1 but yea after finding my boards manual it says b2/a2.

I can only guess. That is so deep into the trenches. Only some skilled electrical engineer who's worked with motherboards could tell you, I assume.
Guesses: Signal integrity, termination, syncing issues, timing issues.

Reactions: GUnit_Gaming

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Typically, it's because it's closer to the CPU.

View: https://youtu.be/LxQpLtm1ofY?t=1756
Watch a minute or two

That's daisy chain. I bet theres more issues too. Just look at the traces from CPU to RAM. How the electronics function on a T-topology RAM config, I don't know or just forgotten.
Old info but what caused the DRAM to have ODT to begin with: https://www.techarp.com/bios-guide/dram-termination/

Logic would tell me that since the first slot is closest to the CPU, that would make it faster. Signal has to travel less length. Everything on a motherboard is pretty much centered around the CPU, devices which has to perform. DRAM, GPU, VRMs, NVME SSD.
Then why slot 2 and 4 for RAM? Why not slot 1 and 3? Doesn't make logical sense. But it makes sense to engineers.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead