[SOLVED] 3600 mhz Ripjaw ram not working at rated speeds and not working at "normal" oc speeds

GlockonDock

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Hi!

Hardware on this setup: B450-F (Asus), 2700x, 32gb(2x16) Ripjaws Red RAM
I bought some ram a week ago rated at 3600 mhz 19 - 20 - 20 - 20 and thought hey why not get higher speed ram and clock down the latency a little to compensate for the high latency.

But I have been having SUCH headaches with this ram that I am pulling my hair already..

First problem being, the PC won't boot on any circumstance over 3200 mhz, put even 3266 and PC won't post, already that highly disturbs me. I can't use the damn thing at its normal speeds!
Secondly I thought hey, if I can't use this ram at 3600 - I'll just clock it to 3200 and lower the latency, but since I don't know the right latency numbers for this ram it crashes on heavy load.
It gives me no warning or error PC just shuts off under load. I tried 16 - 17 - 17- 17 and tried raising voltage raising latencies bit by bit but it always crashes under load.

The DOCP profile just sets the latency to 19 - 20 - 20 - 20 and doesn't make anything run well.

So the main problem is the ram speed, what's going on why can't I use the cursed thing at its rated speeds? I mean I am not even trying to overclock that much I just want to use what I paid for at its full potential.

I mean I don't want to use this ram at like 3000 mhz with MAJOR latency, when I paid for something fast, that's just not fair. I have the latest bios and have tried DRAM calculator setups (they don't boot).

Thanks to anyone who cares to read and has any ideas. Does anyone have a RAM map for this thing by any chance?
GlockOnDock

Solution
Another thing I can't figure out is why the PC won't boot when I use more than 3200mhz..
Max official RAM speed for your CPU is 2999 MHz, max official speed for two dual-rank DIMMs (what you have) is only 2400 MHz. So you're trying to overclock, and overclocking results are never guaranteed. As said above, 3600 is hard to get working on 2nd gen Ryzen, and you usually want Samsung B die for best results, and probably single rank. 3200 MHz is sort of a soft limit for 1st/2nd gen, and it gets you nearly the same performance as 3600 anyway.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, and have installed the RAM in slots A2 and B2.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I was in a similar situation with an AsRock B450m, 2600x and 2X8 G.Skill RipJaws V 3600 c16-19-19-39. My setup wouldn't run at the 3600 either. On this forum I was directed to 2 programs. First is thaiphoon burner. That program is used to identify the actually memory chips used in your Ram. The second program is DRam Calculator. That uses the information obtained from Thaiphoon burner and calculates all the bios setting you need to run your ram at various frequencies. My ram need a very odd timgings setup for 3200 -3400 with C14-18-19-28 and whole bunch of other timings and voltage changes. It was a bit of a process but I'm now running smoothly at 3400 CL14-18-19-28. There are tutorial videos on youtube using these programs.

Bob

GlockonDock

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for a reply,
I tried using DRAM Calc and Thaipoon burner but the results that the dram calc gives me won't boot for me sadly..

It is a C die ram but it should no where near be slow as 3200 and crash..

How did you find out what to increase and decrease? I am running cl16-17-17-17 and have no idea what to change.. I can game yes, but I tried extracting a large scale file and PC went off with a shutdown..

Another thing I can't figure out is why the PC won't boot when I use more than 3200mhz..

I know our RAM sticks aren't exactly the same but maybe I can get a screenshot of your settings? Maybe I can fine tune something out that WILL work.

Thanks!
GlockOnDock

GlockonDock

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
So I tried out Bob's settings and tried out various other configs presented by dram calculator but the situation seems hopeless.
I have no idea what to try next..

I am quite frustrated because I returned my quad DIMM setup to get 32gb ram at high speed, so now I have 2 sticks of 3000mhz ram laying around and 2 sticks of 3600 mhz in my pc running at 3200..

Now to the ram OC part.. It is stupid - I tried using 3200 DOCP and did 101 BCLK clock to hit a little bit over 3200 (3224) or something, already that caused the PC not to post.

It seems like either the processor or motherboard has some hard coded limitation not to work 3200 mhz which seems absurd but the PC wouldn't even boot at 3201 mhz.
3200 mhz setup in dram calculator doesn't boot either I have to run DOCP and just put the clocks lower myself.

If anyone has any other ideas to try out I would be really happy to get some ideas, so far I've tried using only 1 stick of RAM, tried changing SOC and ram voltages, tried using dram calculator setups, nothing worked well so far. I really wanted to like this AMD setup and I really like AMD but I never had such problems with intel processors.

RTX 20 series - 2700X - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz Ripjaws RED - 650W Gold PSU - ASUS B450-F

Thanks!
GlockOnDock

Last edited:
So I tried out Bob's settings and tried out various other configs presented by dram calculator but the situation seems hopeless.
I have no idea what to try next..

I am quite frustrated because I returned my quad DIMM setup to get 32gb ram at high speed, so now I have 2 sticks of 3000mhz ram laying around and 2 sticks of 3600 mhz in my pc running at 3200..

Now to the ram OC part.. It is stupid - I tried using 3200 DOCP and did 101 BCLK clock to hit a little bit over 3200 (3224) or something, already that caused the PC not to post.

It seems like either the processor or motherboard has some hard coded limitation not to work 3200 mhz which seems absurd but the PC wouldn't even boot at 3201 mhz.
3200 mhz setup in dram calculator doesn't boot either I have to run DOCP and just put the clocks lower myself.

If anyone has any other ideas to try out I would be really happy to get some ideas, so far I've tried using only 1 stick of RAM, tried changing SOC and ram voltages, tried using dram calculator setups, nothing worked well so far. I really wanted to like this AMD setup and I really like AMD but I never had such problems with intel processors.

RTX 20 series - 2700X - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz Ripjaws RED - 650W Gold PSU - ASUS B450-F

Thanks!
GlockOnDock
What's you CPU and motherboard? RAM speed depends on these. 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen don't support 3600Mhz. Rarely 2nd gen can run 3600 with proper tweaks.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Max official RAM speed for your CPU is 2999 MHz, max official speed for two dual-rank DIMMs (what you have) is only 2400 MHz. So you're trying to overclock, and overclocking results are never guaranteed. As said above, 3600 is hard to get working on 2nd gen Ryzen, and you usually want Samsung B die for best results, and probably single rank. 3200 MHz is sort of a soft limit for 1st/2nd gen, and it gets you nearly the same performance as 3600 anyway.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, and have installed the RAM in slots A2 and B2.

Last edited:
Solution

GlockonDock

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for the answers!

I didn't really want to OC the ram itself much, hence I did not care if it is single rank or dual rank since I just wanted to get it running at its rated 3600. Although in the end I did not know what effect it would have on the processor.

So if the answer really is 2700x saying no because it is limited to 3000 then it is perfectly understandable to not boot higher than 3200.

I do have the latest bios and A2 B2 ram slots ( I think that's what helped me get 3200).

Since speeds above 2999 mhz are "OC" for the processor I think 3200 mhz is a pretty good result for 2700x?
I have it running at 16 CAS and touching some voltages a little bit made it stable.

Thanks for the answers!

I didn't really want to OC the ram itself much, hence I did not care if it is single rank or dual rank since I just wanted to get it running at its rated 3600. Although in the end I did not know what effect it would have on the processor.

So if the answer really is 2700x saying no because it is limited to 3000 then it is perfectly understandable to not boot higher than 3200.

I do have the latest bios and A2 B2 ram slots ( I think that's what helped me get 3200).

Since speeds above 2999 mhz are "OC" for the processor I think 3200 mhz is a pretty good result for 2700x?
I have it running at 16 CAS and touching some voltages a little bit made it stable.
That's good unless you have Samsung B-die.
I run my 3600 at 3200 C14. Its B-die.

Reactions: TJ Hooker