[SOLVED] 3600 new very hot

kong6j

Reputable
Sep 25, 2019
Hello every one today I just change my old 2600x by 3600 I have prob never see before on my old CPU temperature ryzen 3600 very hot in desktop without using any program is from 66 to 85 and on games and in cinbench rise to 95 am worry now because if I don't succeeded to reduce temperature I will placed my 2600x again am using thermal color master and with spier fan thanks

Solution
When changing from 2600x to 3600, it's important to have the latest bios as that has any recent memory/bug fixes for 3rd gen cpus, that automatically resets the bios. There's many hidden settings in bios, some of which do not get changed by the cpu swap, resetting the bios forces the bios to make all those changes as if it was brand new, detecting and implementing the necessary 3600 settings.

For instance, if one setting of the 2600x required 1.4v for stability, and you drop in the 3600 that requires only 1.2v, bios usually won't change the setting, because the 1.4v is more than necessary, so is still good and stable. Unfortunately this means higher voltage use which means higher temps. Resetting bios means the 1.4v setting is wiped...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you reset the bios (F5 usually) to factory optimized default settings after the cpu swap and run Ryzen Master to allow for PBO changes, or just start gaming after boot up thinking everything would be the same between a 65w cpu and a 95w cpu?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When changing from 2600x to 3600, it's important to have the latest bios as that has any recent memory/bug fixes for 3rd gen cpus, that automatically resets the bios. There's many hidden settings in bios, some of which do not get changed by the cpu swap, resetting the bios forces the bios to make all those changes as if it was brand new, detecting and implementing the necessary 3600 settings.

For instance, if one setting of the 2600x required 1.4v for stability, and you drop in the 3600 that requires only 1.2v, bios usually won't change the setting, because the 1.4v is more than necessary, so is still good and stable. Unfortunately this means higher voltage use which means higher temps. Resetting bios means the 1.4v setting is wiped out and the 3600 sets its own necessary 1.2v.

Reactions: kong6j
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Open bios. Right at the top it should say your motherboard and bios revision number. Write that down.

Goto your motherboard website. Asus, Msi, Gigabyte etc. Look up the Exact model you own, so msi Tomahawk max revision 3.0, is different to Msi Tomahawk max revision 1.0. There you'll see in the download section the bios files.

Find your current bios number. Start reading upwards to new bios releases, you may need additional steps. If no steps, download the latest to your desktop. In there will be explicit directions on how to update your bios. It's different for each vendor. Follow install directions EXACTLY. Do NOT turn off power or reset for any reason, unless explicitly told to do so, it could take a while to complete.

When all is done, last reboot finished, new cpu installed, go back into bios and change your ram speed, XMP or DOCP etc.

Not hard. Just make sure to not deviate from instructions.

Reactions: kong6j

kong6j

Reputable
Sep 25, 2019
Open bios. Right at the top it should say your motherboard and bios revision number. Write that down.

Goto your motherboard website. Asus, Msi, Gigabyte etc. Look up the Exact model you own, so msi Tomahawk max revision 3.0, is different to Msi Tomahawk max revision 1.0. There you'll see in the download section the bios files.

Find your current bios number. Start reading upwards to new bios releases, you may need additional steps. If no steps, download the latest to your desktop. In there will be explicit directions on how to update your bios. It's different for each vendor. Follow install directions EXACTLY. Do NOT turn off power or reset for any reason, unless explicitly told to do so, it could take a while to complete.

When all is done, last reboot finished, new cpu installed, go back into bios and change your ram speed, XMP or DOCP etc.

Not hard. Just make sure to not deviate from instructions.
This I my board https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/