[SOLVED] 3600 Speed RAM runs at 2133

May 8, 2020
I have recently built my system:
Ryzen 1600 AF
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
16gb Gskill Trident Z F4-3600C18D-16GTRX

The Bios is up to date, and I have used Thaiphoon and DRAM Calculator to get the manual settings for the RAM. I have increase the clock speed to 36, I have increased the voltage to 1.40v But it feels like I am locked out of actually achieving the 3600 speeds. If this is a CPU restriction to a certain speed I can understand that, but it's strange to me that its 2133, and not in the 3200mhz range. The two sticks are installed in the D1/D2 slots. Even when I run Gigabyte Easy Tune, the Memory Frequency slider is greyed out and I can't adjust it.

Solution
Ok I did some more trials and ended back up with the memory in the slots recommended by the manual, 1 & 2. Thanks altVortex, I doubled checked to make sure the way I read it and the way the board is laid out that I was putting them in 1 & 2. Reseating and different slots, even 1 stick, did nothing.

I had read a couple of people mentioning that they had this same issue with other boards as well from Gigabyte not just the B450, but the problem doesn't go away until they UNINSTALLED RGB Fusion. It's just a program, so out it went.

I also went back into BIOS and loaded Optimized Defaults, just to start over. Reloaded XMP Profile and BSOD. After a Reset I got into BIOS and the memory was showing 3600, but I couldn’t boot into Windows...
I have recently built my system:
Ryzen 1600 AF
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
16gb Gskill Trident Z F4-3600C18D-16GTRX

The Bios is up to date, and I have used Thaiphoon and DRAM Calculator to get the manual settings for the RAM. I have increase the clock speed to 36, I have increased the voltage to 1.40v But it feels like I am locked out of actually achieving the 3600 speeds. If this is a CPU restriction to a certain speed I can understand that, but it's strange to me that its 2133, and not in the 3200mhz range. The two sticks are installed in the D1/D2 slots. Even when I run Gigabyte Easy Tune, the Memory Frequency slider is greyed out and I can't adjust it.
XMP doesn't work ?

May 9, 2020
There are four slots, the manual says slot 1&2 for two sticks.
From the reading the manual, the slots are distributed as 4 2 3 1
So make sure they are installed as underlined below
like this: 4 2 3 1
OR this: 4 2 3 1

Edit: manual says "For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 sockets."

So option 1 is better

May 8, 2020
Ok I did some more trials and ended back up with the memory in the slots recommended by the manual, 1 & 2. Thanks altVortex, I doubled checked to make sure the way I read it and the way the board is laid out that I was putting them in 1 & 2. Reseating and different slots, even 1 stick, did nothing.

I had read a couple of people mentioning that they had this same issue with other boards as well from Gigabyte not just the B450, but the problem doesn't go away until they UNINSTALLED RGB Fusion. It's just a program, so out it went.

I also went back into BIOS and loaded Optimized Defaults, just to start over. Reloaded XMP Profile and BSOD. After a Reset I got into BIOS and the memory was showing 3600, but I couldn’t boot into Windows. So I lowered the Memory down to 2933 and restarted, right into Windows. Once in I was able to use Gigabyte Easy Tune to get the Mem Speed up to 3466mhz. That wasn't stable but for a few mins, so I backed it back down to 3200mHz and it's been cruising ever since. I can select and change my Memory Frequency from EasyTune now, as before it was grayed out.

Mark this as solved, get rid of RGB Fusion. I don't know if the BIOS settings for Fusion will cause the same issue, but once I uninstalled the Windows Program, my problem got solved. I'm going to change the board color in BIOS and see if the issue comes back.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS