Question 3600 VS 3700x

NathanGwyn

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
I've been gooooogling this <Mod Edit> all day. Which should I get. Noww I had settled for the 3700x and skimping on the motherboard a little.... but now I'm thinking the 4000 series launch is probably close by? Should I save money or just thug it out? Making the purchases soon. I feel if I get the 3600 and a x570 may be smarter than like a 3700x and b550

Last edited by a moderator:

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
X570 is only useful if you plan on doing multiple pcie4.0 NVME in raid or SLI. B550 can do everything the same except it has pcie4.0 NVME in the top M.2 slot and the top GPU slot only.
So, i'd go B550 and 3700X.

You don't have to raid 2 NVME PCIE-4's to get benefit of 2 distinct NVME PCIE-4 drives. I have one with 500gb for my OS, and I'm waiting for prices to come down a bit to get a 2TB one for my other 4.0 slot. More competition will fix the prices a bit as there is a premium at the moment. Also being able to use PCIE-4 for a future graphics card is a big deal. I went with a 3700x but may upgrade to a 4000 series chip when they launch. Although I do like the fact that it's only 65 w and doesn't stress the VRMs as much as a 3800x or higher would and I still get 8cores/16threads.

I'm building this tomorrow and using my old trusty Noctua NH-U14S with 2 fans to bring temps as low as I can* just to enable the automatic boost to get as high as possible as I don't really intend to overclock it unless I must, but from what I hear AMD's "turbo boost" is pretty good on it's own provided a cooler cooling solution. :)

* I mean I'm big on air cooling and using that particular cooler has done well for me in the past, I'm adding a second fan vs my previous setup so "as low as I can" is in reference to the second fan which does improve thermals.

EDIT: To be clear, that's not to say that everyone needs that kind of setup, but it's something to consider if you do or don't. I want it because I want more and faster storage for numerous reasons. But not everyone is going to fall into the same needs as me. But it's not something to ignore either. Just wanted to be clear, and like any PC build, what you "need" is going to be different than what someone else "needs" it's a matter of need vs cost and only the individual can make the final choice for what they're comfortable with and spending. I'm migrating my old PSU and CPU cooler because A. they're both perfectly fine to use and B. it saved me money so I could get the 3700x and a X570 board. Not everyone is in that same position. Anyway, just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited: