Question 3600mhz Memory Only Shows as 2133mhz in BIOS

Dec 28, 2019
Successfully completed a Ryzen 3960X build today (my first ever end-to-end PC build) with an ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme motherboard after successfully troubleshooting RAM causing BOOT failure.

Do have Windows 10 Pro installed now, however, I currently have an issue with the RAM only producing 2133mhz frequency as opposed to 3600 which my memory:

F4-3600C18Q-32GTZN (have two of these installed equalling 64GB)
Timings: CL18-22-22-42

is capable of.

I know its got something to do with BIOS and AI Tuner, but I for the life of me can't find the setting(s) I need to tweak.

Is XMP even available for AMD chipsets BIOS? Or are other settings required?

Also, does an old version of BIOS still have the required settings? Or will a BIOS update be needed?

The motherboard in my build has a BIOS Flashback button, but not currently sure how to safely update using the button as previous ASUS documentation online now returns a 404 error. So I haven't attempted that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model.
Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed."
That's taken from Asus' memory Qualified Vendor List.

Getting both kits to run 3600mhz may lead to more problems.

Dec 28, 2019
Yes it is, but it's called DOCP. And you need to enable that to get the advertised RAM settings for your sticks. DDR4 defaults to 2133mhz.

I'm thinking now manual adjustments might be better using DRAM Calculator for Ryzen.

"Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model.
Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed."
That's taken from Asus' memory Qualified Vendor List.

Getting both kits to run 3600mhz may lead to more problems.

Interestingly, but unintentionally (due to lack of experience with PC building until the last week), I consulted the QVL, but didn't read its full fine print nor did I get a kit on the QVL. I got a kit that shared similarities to the kit I got except the capacity and the timings were different.

Two of the same kit (in my case to go from 32 to 64gb) is a no-no according to Asus, but it seems to have worked ok for me. Admittedly, I did have boot problems initially, but after troubleshooting each individual RAM stick one-by-one, it ended up being that I didn't install the sticks properly on both sides given that Zenith II Extreme has one clip only DIMM slots. The sharp thin metal heatinks on the G.Skill RAM, made them difficult to install correctly alongisde the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 heatsink.

I have read at least one reported case online in the last week of unstable RAM for the same Motherboard I have beyond 2133mhz, so i'll see how it goes. Worse case, i'll reset the BIOS to factory settings as they currently are.

Last edited: