[SOLVED] 3600mhz ram on a board that supports 3533 max

Apr 26, 2020
Hey,
I just bought gskill 3600mhz ram and an asrock b450m steel legend motherboard for my ryzen 5 3600,
I just realized the board says it supports up to 3533mhz (oc) ram, and bought the 3600mhz kit without thinking, as I thought the higher the frequency the better with ryzen.
Will my ram automatically underclock itself to 3533, or will I need to do some tuning in the bios?

Thank you.

Solution
Blah. QVL is meaningless.

QVL is qualified Vendor list, not qualified Ram list. There's only a handful of actual Ram OEMs and they manufacture ram for every vendor. Samsung for instance makes the 3200MHz ic's found in G-skill Trident-Z. The exact same ic's that go into Patriot Elites and several other vendors. The SkHynix found in Corsair LPX is the same as found in dozens of vendors. Take off the heatshield and they are all the same.

QVL is just a sampling of several more popular vendors, models, speeds and kits, with a few prototypes and gifts added in. Chances are better than good that even if your particular model isn't listed, it's listed somewhere else under a different vendor.

The only thing a QVL is useful for is seeing if...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Blah. QVL is meaningless.

QVL is qualified Vendor list, not qualified Ram list. There's only a handful of actual Ram OEMs and they manufacture ram for every vendor. Samsung for instance makes the 3200MHz ic's found in G-skill Trident-Z. The exact same ic's that go into Patriot Elites and several other vendors. The SkHynix found in Corsair LPX is the same as found in dozens of vendors. Take off the heatshield and they are all the same.

QVL is just a sampling of several more popular vendors, models, speeds and kits, with a few prototypes and gifts added in. Chances are better than good that even if your particular model isn't listed, it's listed somewhere else under a different vendor.

The only thing a QVL is useful for is seeing if the board can actually attain certain speeds.

You have a 3rd gen cpu. It's good for 4000 MHz or better. Regardless of which motherboard it's on. The only thing needed is a current bios to set the jedec tables and ram recognition. Got nothing to do with the mobo itself.

Reactions: Abde19234
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's all cpu dependent. Some mobo's like the Asus ROG B450i can list 2ndGen upto 3600(OC) while others will max out 2ndGen at 3200(OC). But thats only a initial listing for when 2ndGen was released. Subsequent bios upgrades and new releases of 3rdGen cpus change that, except most don't bother updating websites as that'll be upto the seller to update, not the original vendor.

Reactions: Abde19234
Apr 26, 2020
It's all cpu dependent. Some mobo's like the Asus ROG B450i can list 2ndGen upto 3600(OC) while others will max out 2ndGen at 3200(OC). But thats only a initial listing for when 2ndGen was released. Subsequent bios upgrades and new releases of 3rdGen cpus change that, except most don't bother updating websites as that'll be upto the seller to update, not the original vendor.
I see, thank you very much for your help!