Question 3600X 65W?

Sep 24, 2020
Is this an issue or normal behaviour?
I have an AMD 3600X on a Asus B450E (latest BIOS) motherboard and using AMD Ryzen Master to monitor the CPU. My question is; no matter what Ryzen Master shows CPU power no more than 67.01W but I thought the CPU was a 95W part? It never really gets above 4.2Ghz (unless I manually OC, but power consumption is the same). I have tried both AMD power plans, AMD Balanced and High Performance. But for some weird reason, I get better performance on balanced. I have tried manually setting everything on the CPU and also tried disabling PBO, but the wattage remains the same. One other thing that I noticed, is the voltage, if I leave everything on auto in the BIOS, running CBR15 the voltage hits 1.45 to 1.5 and this doesn't drop below that the entire time CB is running. I have set this manually now, because that scared me.
For cooling, I'm using an open loop and my temps never exceed 69C after running CB multiple times. Will hit 72C when stress testing.
I have added screenshots of Ryzen Master under load and CBr15 results
Ryzen Master
Cinebench

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea if I have done something wrong, this is normal behaviour, or the hradware is possibly faulty.

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah, I have done all that, I've even reinstalled Windows. The results are the same no matter what I do. Also, had to have a sanity check, and made sure that was what I had purchased, and it indeed was. It performs "fine" but have seen 3600 results higher than mine.
Would this be an issue with the motherboard or CPU. I have googled like crazy prior to posting anywhere. But with not joy, it just gives me results for a 3600.

I'm going to check all chipset drivers again, just to be on the safe side, but that's one thing I do automatically every time I install Windows.

EDIT: I have redownloaded and installed chipset drivers again, same results.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020
Overclockers.co.uk - I have asked on their forums and got a reply telling me it's a 65W part. Their product page and AMD' product page tells me a different story. I knew what TDP it was prior to purchasing it, so that was just a silly answer, lol.
It was only when I started overclocking I noticed an issue.

Sep 24, 2020
I was just using Ryzen Master to view power usage. I assumed as it was a 95W part, that is what I should see under full load?
CPU-Z shows Max TDP @ 95W

To be honest,mine behaves similar to yours. Unless I overclock,(which I dont with the Ryzen anyway,) all cores hit about 4120mhz,(unless I overclock they run stable at 4200mhz) but then you lose the 1-2 core boost to 4400mhz.And from what I gather, Ryzen's hitting 1.4-1.5v is normal as it only lasts a split second and is how they behave.

Reactions: MrBeee
Sep 24, 2020
Right, but on CB 15 I get 70W CPU on stock settings, but my score is 1400's (over 250 less on a manual OC) it never goes over 4.1GHz and puts in 1.5v dropping to 1.45v to do that. I have scoured many forums and reddit posts and that is low for stock, even for a non-x CPU. Now I know the silicon lottery is a thing, but I shouldn't be getting lower than a 3600? Or have I just lucked out and got a poo CPU?

Sep 24, 2020
That is indeed what mine does, seems the norm then, and I guess a little lucked out in the silicon quality I guess. I just kinda thought as PBO was temperature driven, I would see 4.4, I just don't.

Sep 24, 2020
I just ran CB 15 and got a score of 1592. Ive never used CB 15 so have no idea to base the score on?

Yeah, mine can get up to that sometimes. I have seen quite a few posts of people of 3600's getting 1700 on air. But most are around 1650 and I guess people only post to show off, so you don't get to see the low results as much. I just though having an open loop would help, but nope, on air, the results are not much worse. But thank you to all that helped and thank you kurdtnz, you have helped me with scores and I know where I am now.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Yeah, mine can get up to that sometimes. I have seen quite a few posts of people of 3600's getting 1700 on air. But most are around 1650 and I guess people only post to show off, so you don't get to see the low results as much. I just though having an open loop would help, but nope, on air, the results are not much worse. But thank you to all that helped and thank you kurdtnz, you have helped me with scores and I know where I am now.
To be truthful, i wouldnt pay much attention to what people say they score on most forums, as many women would tell you, with most guys it's just wishful thinking ;)

Reactions: MrBeee and COLGeek