[SOLVED] 3600x on low end b350

Seems like a majority of b350 and even A320 boards are getting bios updates for ryzen 3000 cpu's.

Unfortunately for me there hasn't been any word on an Asrock ab350m motherboard that may fall into my lap soon. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#Overview

Any chances of a BIOS update still to come yall think?

edit: While I understand there could be definite power issues with a 3900x, seems like there is no realistic reason why it would be impossible to run a 35w or 65w cpu other than cause screw the consumer.

Last edited:
Solution
3600x is a 95w part, and reviews have shown it doing 105w. But aside from poor BIOS support due to being a low end model, you're probably right about it being a sales related stunt, however, some of these low end boards have shown problems with the VRMs on first and second gen parts, so it's not that surprising that they don't want to deal with another AM3+ low end chipset with 8 core FX type situation here.
3600x is a 95w part, and reviews have shown it doing 105w. But aside from poor BIOS support due to being a low end model, you're probably right about it being a sales related stunt, however, some of these low end boards have shown problems with the VRMs on first and second gen parts, so it's not that surprising that they don't want to deal with another AM3+ low end chipset with 8 core FX type situation here.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At 65w TDP I don't see why any AM4 mobo couldn't float a 3600. AMD did promise support, but didn't promise to enforce that on its AIB partners. So you'll probably see bios accepting the 3600, maybe the 3600x, but I doubt bios will recognise the larger cpus, especially on the A-series mobo's. Like darkbreeze said concerning the FX fiasco, it'd be like bios update accepting the 8 series 125w cpus on a 95w 760G chipset.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
AIB partners have been miss leading tbh.Even with my board after bios released they changed cpu support to Ryzen 9.There's no chance in hell this board handle a ryzen 9.A 3600x or maybe just maybe a ryzen 7 but i doubt the latter.Just wait and see if AIB partners pull there fingers out of there a..... and do some bios updates.

Appropriate BIOS is only thing that may stop you from using 3600, if it can work properly with 2700x, 3600 (even x) is not a problem power wise.
Eh, there's a 40w difference between these parts. I assure you, the 30w difference between a 95w FX CPU and a 125w FX CPU caused MAJOR problems on lower end chipsets. I have no reservations saying this generation of hardware gets no reprieve from the laws of electronics in this regard. If it was enough, at 30w, to cause problems on past platforms, it's clearly enough at 35-45w to cause problems on current platforms.

Keep in mind, plenty of people were running FX-8350s on boards like the M5A78L-M/USB3 which wasn't a bad board really, and much worse options from the lower chipsets, and they'd run, but they also had never ending problems with VRM throttling and overheating, or failures from simply not being built to handle the demands of higher tiered hardware.

You can sail across the lake in a boat that's been repaired with flex seal too. Doesn't make it a good idea and I'm sure as heck not getting in it.

Eh, there's a 40w difference between these parts. I assure you, the 30w difference between a 95w FX CPU and a 125w FX CPU caused MAJOR problems on lower end chipsets. I have no reservations saying this generation of hardware gets no reprieve from the laws of electronics in this regard. If it was enough, at 30w, to cause problems on past platforms, it's clearly enough at 35-45w to cause problems on current platforms.

Keep in mind, plenty of people were running FX-8350s on boards like the M5A78L-M/USB3 which wasn't a bad board really, and much worse options from the lower chipsets, and they'd run, but they also had never ending problems with VRM throttling and overheating, or failures from simply not being built to handle the demands of higher tiered hardware.

You can sail across the lake in a boat that's been repaired with flex seal too. Doesn't make it a good idea and I'm sure as heck not getting in it.
Been there, done that but for normal use most decent b450 MBs have enough power in them for 2700x with 3000 being even better optimized. Modern boards have much better VRM than those old ones and FX 8350 is a power eater, 125w was really optimistic and that's only TDP on pure idle but electrical power could push well over 200w when OC-ed and under load. Only top end MBs could feed it enough.

TDP != Power Consumption though.

The 3600 can and will consume as much as the 3600X if PBO allows it to OC to the same levels.

Other than that, and to answer the OP's question directly: it will depend on the Motherboard manufacturer. Even if AMD hands the microcode they need for the B350 boards, it's up to them if they want to keep giving them support for the Ry3K generation, unfortunately. As you mentioned, it's a low end board as well, so I'm not really sure it would be in the priority list of the manufacturer to give them the upgrade for the time being, considering all the shenanigans still going around with the high end BIOS'es.

So, in short, keep an eye out on the page of your manufacturer and the updates page. Unless they officially announce they will, you can't count on it even if AMD wants them to.

Cheers!