[SOLVED] 3600x question

imomarlittle

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Hi all,

First off - if this is in the wrong forum, please let me know!

So I have just got a new CPU, but for the life of me I cant get it working. I am installing a 3700X into a b450 ds3h. It says it supports 3 series chips on the box. My old chip was a 2600X.

I have tried the new CPU and just cant get it working, I have put my old cpu back in and it boots up just fine.

With my new CPU in, i can start the PC with the power button on the front of the case, but i cannot turn it back off by holding that button. I read that,that may be something to do with the CPU and motherboard not talking?

I have reset Bios

I dont quite understand this, but the Bios seems to "reset" to the latest available online, despite me buying the board before this date. (the latest Bios is 2020 and I brought my system 2019). I cleared the BIOS by both shorting the pins and taking the battery out. When I go back into the BIOS, I get a "bios has been reset" notice, but my BIOS edition is still the very latest available, which confuses me.

My system

1 x AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU (Swapping this for a 3700x)
2 x Adata XPG Gammix D10 (Tray Bulk) 8GB (1x 8GB) RAM
1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics Card
1 x TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps PCI Express WiFi
1 x Xigmatek Scorpio Gaming Case - Black
650w PSU- Seasonic
1 x Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard

This is the second item I couldnt get working, as i tried to install a 2080 that i got 2nd hand and for some reason I couldnt get that working either. I returned that card and it was fine.

I also weirdly have a spare USB header cable that was plugged into something and i cannot find out what it was supposed to be plugged into.

Any and all help is hugely appreciated!

Thank you

Solution
I dont quite understand this, but the Bios seems to "reset" to the latest available online, despite me buying the board ...
I wonder if your motherboard has dual BIOS (part of the ultra-durable thing) and is reverting to the backup BIOS for some reason.

Also make sure you're getting the BIOS for your board's rev level.

Lutfij

Titan
What is the BIOS version that you're currently working on? You might also want to see if the jumper for clearing CMOS hasn't been placed back to it's default position. The other thing to do is replace the CMOS battery with a fresh cell.

I dont quite understand this, but the Bios seems to "reset" to the latest available online, despite me buying the board ...
I wonder if your motherboard has dual BIOS (part of the ultra-durable thing) and is reverting to the backup BIOS for some reason.

Also make sure you're getting the BIOS for your board's rev level.

Solution