[SOLVED] 3600x throttling

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
My 3600x's third core is stable at 4.3 ghz while all the other cores are showing 3.8 ghz... how do you fix it so all the cores are running at the same speed because it's making every stutter once in a while even when watching a video and it increases my temperatures. Please help, thanks in advance.

Solution
My 3600x's third core is stable at 4.3 ghz while all the other cores are showing 3.8 ghz... how do you fix it so all the cores are running at the same speed because it's making every stutter once in a while even when watching a video and it increases my temperatures. Please help, thanks in advance.
That's pretty much normal operation for Ryzen with Window10 and Linux now. The scheduler loads certain 'preferred' cores more, and the processor responds by boosting the preferred cores more than others until enough threads need processing. But by then, processing is getting so intense it's getting warm so it's pulling clocks back a little.

You can improve things a lot by enabling PBO and setting EDC/TDC/PPT to about 230, but there...
My general rule of thumb for liquid cooling AIO or custom loop is to have 120+ of radiator for each cooled component. IE a single component loop should have a 140 or 240 cooler at a minimum. Solo 120 rads are therefore insufficient IMO for most applications, particularly when compared to a similarly priced air coolers when it comes to CPU applications. The 280rad should be more than sufficient for your application.

Not all cores will be capable of the same max clock speed, of course...; so a differential among the assorted core clock speeds is likely not the root cause of any stutter watching a simple Youtube video... (RAM speed/timing issues can certainly cause such issues, however)

That's pretty much normal operation for Ryzen with Window10 and Linux now. The scheduler loads certain 'preferred' cores more, and the processor responds by boosting the preferred cores more than others until enough threads need processing. But by then, processing is getting so intense it's getting warm so it's pulling clocks back a little.

You can improve things a lot by enabling PBO and setting EDC/TDC/PPT to about 230, but there will always be some preferred cores getting more boost action under light/bursty process loads. Also better cooling on the CPU to improve how soon the CPU has to start pulling back clocks as it heats up. And do avoid manual overclocking with Ryzen 3000. That's the best way to hurt CPU performance more than help it.

Reactions: jitteRs
Solution

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019

You can improve things a lot by enabling PBO and setting EDC/TDC/PPT to about 230, but there will always be some preferred cores getting more boost action under light/bursty process loads. Also better cooling on the CPU to improve how soon the CPU has to start pulling back clocks as it heats up. And do avoid manual overclocking with Ryzen 3000. That's the best way to hurt CPU performance more than help it.
Thanks man, I'll change the bios settings and get a better cooler.

TRENDING THREADS