Status
Not open for further replies.

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Hello everyone!

-Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (even after update to newest bios- no difference, Problem is still there).
-r9 3900x cooled with Noctua NH-D15S

THE PROBLEM: 9 out of 10 times booting fails (I assume it doesn't even reach bios because my monitor doesn't recieve any signal) with the q code ''8d''on the mobo which this forum says it is the infinity fabric on the cpu: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...0-won-t-POST-Q-Code-quot-8d-quot-intermittent
The only solution I have (been using it since day 1) is to long press the power button and restart. Sometimes it gets stuck again with same 8d code but othertimes it shows code 22 which I could not find in the manual but some say it is a memory initialization problem (memory training?) Anyways I keep doing this until I am able to get to the bios which then has loaded the ''safe''setings - like 2133mhz at 1.2v Ram BUT also 1.473v for CPU!! as you can see in the photos on the right side of the bios. The Bios does luckily remember all my settings and applies them and then it boots to windows (most of the times.. But since after aplying settings the bios restarts the pc it does RARELY get stuck again.. like 1 in 10 times..and then I have to to everything again). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snoyels1rzz7flk/AABNyItTWopVxygN797-qVhSa?dl=0
So each time I start the pc I must plan in advance for the extra 5-10 minutes of forcing restarts just to get it to windows ..It sucks.

I would be thankful for any help ..

Last edited:

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Hello everyone!
I have posted this in CPU and RAM since I am not sure where the problem comes from.

THE PC
I have built an entirely new pc about a month ago (end of march) no longer wanting to wait for intel 10.gen or rtx 3000 during this Corona-Break.

-Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (even after update to newest bios- no difference, Problem is still there).
-r9 3900x cooled with Noctua NH-D15S
-kfa2 2080super
-32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39 Dual Kit
-Corsair hx1000 PSU
-Obsidian 750D case (modded for extra fans and rgb)
-only SATA Samsung ssds for boot drive and game library and hdds for storage. I did not want to risk losing PCIE lanes from gpu for 2 sec loading time with m.2.
-Windows 10 Pro (1909)
-Monitor: 3440x1440 100hz 34' AOC via DP 1.2
and 4K Toshiba TV via HDMI

Once booted to windows (but thats very rare and hard to achive as I will explain) the PC is rock stable (it NEVER Bsod'ed or crashed ) and cool (thanks to my 9 fans , yes I cut holes in my side panel for extra cooling) , cpu and gpu both idle at 35° Celsius and during the biggest loads (that are realistical for my use scenarios) meaning Geekbench\Valley\Superposition Benchmarks... etc or during Games like Witcher 3/BF5/ Red Dead Redemption 2 on maxed out ultra with no compromises : CPU max 55° and GPU max 62° thanks. I do not video edit or run VMs or anything hard..just gaming. I know pc is overkill for gaming, don't bother to say..

THE PROBLEM: 9 out of 10 times booting fails (I assume it doesn't even reach bios because my monitor doesn't recieve any signal) with the q code ''8d''on the mobo which this forum says it is the infinity fabric on the cpu: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...0-won-t-POST-Q-Code-quot-8d-quot-intermittent
The only solution I have (been using it since day 1) is to long press the power button and restart. Sometimes it gets stuck again with same 8d code but othertimes it shows code 22 which I could not find in the manual but some say it is a memory initialization problem (memory training?) Anyways I keep doing this until I am able to get to the bios which then has loaded the ''safe''setings - like 2133mhz at 1.2v Ram BUT also 1.473v for CPU!! as you can see in the photos on the right side of the bios. The Bios does luckily remember all my settings and applies them and then it boots to windows (most of the times.. But since after aplying settings the bios restarts the pc it does RARELY get stuck again.. like 1 in 10 times..and then I have to to everything again). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snoyels1rzz7flk/AABNyItTWopVxygN797-qVhSa?dl=0
So each time I start the pc I must plan in advance for the extra 5-10 minutes of forcing restarts just to get it to windows ..It sucks.

Now, this problem has been there from FIRST DAY \FIRST BOOT. The GPU and CPU are currently overclocked and undervolted but it is not the reason for the problem since I returned to stock multiple times and the problem didn't dissapear and the OC \UV didn't make it worse so if you are just going to tell me to return everything to stock : I already tried that.

GPU: +85mhz core, +500mhz memory (no artefacts or crashing in games)
CPU: SMT disabled (since no game needs 24threads and this tweak brought idle and load temps 8-10° down)
4300mhz all core oc -fixed frequency at all times.
1.19375v manual voltage in bios, cpu id and hw iNFO report 1.192v so within tolerance (yes, I lost ca. 80 points in geekbench but gained another 5° lower and while gaming it is still equally stable).
RAM: not overclocked or undervolted since it already consumes less then the DDR3 1.5v in my last pc and 3600mhz is plenty fast even for ryzen (also : I manually cap all my games at 100fps since monitor can only do 100hz.. faster ram would help only above 144hz).
I did however try to tighten the timings a bit (since I miss my 1333mhz cl9 ram and I have heard gskill uses samsung chips which oc nicely ) but the performance improvements I saw in benchmarks (and 0 improvements I saw in the games I already run at stable 100fps\hz) were not worth the peace of mind of shortening this beautiful RAM's life so I returned everything to stock 16-19-19-39. Strangely (look at bios photo) the lantencies that load when booting to bios are a lot lower! how to change that????
Originally all settings in bios were on Auto .. Obviously I had to change the above mentioned from auto and after a week or two I got the idea from someone that the RAM was't geting enough voltage so I manually set it to 1.36000v. This should't fry it but it should be more than enough to be able to boot, but this did not resolve the situation.
I did not ever touch the FCLK setting..Thats what the motherboard chose. Is it too high? It should be half the Ram speed, no?
Except for msi afterburner for gpu , all settings were changed in Asus's lovely bios..I do not use Ryzen master or anything else.

Thank you for reading this and I would be thankful for any help ..

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sure someone else will have a better idea than me...

I think you should try a different motherboard. Some manufacturers 'launch their motherboards broken'. What do I mean by this?
Ok, have you ever checked out motherboard reviews or comparisons and some boards yield higher cpu performance than others?
Yeah, that's them being sneaky, altering the default settings and essentially running the system out of spec, to edge out the other vendors in performance. Msi was notorious for doing this with some of their Z390 motherboards.
Problem is, some cpus may not agree with those changes.
Some users end up doing all sorts of troubleshooting, only to inevitably fail and give up on it, because they can't figure out for the life of them what the problem is, when the cause may not even be on their end...

Did you run that overclock from day one as well?

Reactions: emailadress2018

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018

I think you should try a different motherboard. Some manufacturers 'launch their motherboards broken'. What do I mean by this?
Ok, have you ever checked out motherboard reviews or comparisons and some boards yield higher cpu performance than others?
Yeah, that's them being sneaky, altering the default settings and essentially running the system out of spec, to edge out the other vendors in performance. Msi was notorious for doing this with some of their Z390 motherboards.
Some users end up doing all sorts of troubleshooting, only to inevitably fail and give up on it, because they can't figure out for the life of them what the problem is, when the cause may not even be on their end...

no, i oc'ed the cpu later and in increments.. first 4.1ghz all core then 4.2 then 4.3 and let days pass between going higher

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
thank you for your help.
I have solved it. I have only had intel ROG Maximus motherboards until now which were ..a lot less complex. In this crosshair bios there isnt only the normal menu (which I know from intel boards) in which you can literally change EVERY little voltage and setting (100+ settings) but there is also a relatively hidden (hard to get to) menu called ''AMD overclocking'' At someone's sugestion I changed the SOC voltage setting from 'auto' to the desired voltage (in mV) in this ''new'' menu and now the pc is booting every time corectly! ..It turnes out the cpu\system briefly uses these ''amd overclocking'' settings at startup before the settings on the usual EXTREME TWEAKER bios page are getting applied..(the same SOC voltage I now entered into ''amd overclocking''I have been using in the Extreme Tweaker page for weeks and the problem was still there).
It's a bit sad that it is so complicated to get this cpu\mobo combo working..and I am not sure who is to blame: AMD or ASUS?.. I mean one should not have to be an expert to get this system to boot out of the box. Auto settings should work.

Normally, it shouldn't cause problems. If you are not sure you can go straight to RMA.

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018

thank you for your help.
I have solved it. I have only had intel ROG Maximus motherboards until now which were ..a lot less complex. In this crosshair bios there isnt only the normal menu (which I know from intel boards) in which you can literally change EVERY little voltage and setting (100+ settings) but there is also a relatively hidden (hard to get to) menu called ''AMD overclocking'' At someone's sugestion I changed the SOC voltage setting from 'auto' to the desired voltage (in mV) in this ''new'' menu and now the pc is booting every time corectly! ..It turnes out the cpu\system briefly uses these ''amd overclocking'' settings at startup before the settings on the usual EXTREME TWEAKER bios page are getting applied..(the same SOC voltage I now entered into ''amd overclocking''I have been using in the Extreme Tweaker page for weeks and the problem was still there).
It's a bit sad that it is so complicated to get this cpu\mobo combo working..and I am not sure who is to blame: AMD or ASUS?.. I mean one should not have to be an expert to get this system to boot out of the box. Auto settings should work.

Reactions: SamirD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
.and I am not sure who is to blame
Oh, I know who to blame here...

At someone's sugestion
You should first blame this someone - what was the purpose of changing the SOC voltage?
2nd, you blame yourself. The SOC voltage change was an important little detail you omitted that would've made this easier. You mention overclocking the frequency, restoring the frequency, and that it didn't fix the boot failure.

Hopefully, you don't end up quickly degrading and destroying that cpu over a few months with your overclock...
The problem with the overclock is not so much the voltage, but the higher CURRENT now running through the cpu at all times.
For lighter loads, this isn't really an issue. It's the heavier ones where it can become a problem, because the cpu normally draws less current on it's own - but with the frequency OC, you've told it to disregard that.

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Oh, I know who to blame here...

You should first blame this someone - what was the purpose of changing the SOC voltage?
2nd, you blame yourself. The SOC voltage change was an important little detail you omitted that would've made this easier. You mention overclocking the frequency, restoring the frequency, and that it didn't fix the boot failure.

Hopefully, you don't end up quickly degrading and destroying that cpu over a few months with your overclock...
The problem with the overclock is not so much the voltage, but the higher CURRENT now running through the cpu at all times.
For lighter loads, this isn't really an issue. It's the heavier ones where it can become a problem, because the cpu normally draws less current on it's own - but with the frequency OC, you've told it to disregard that.
'' what was the purpose of changing the SOC voltage?''
what are you even talking about ?? are you high or something?
Learn to read next time: the soc voltage in ''amd overclocking'' was the entire time on auto (until I discovered this setting yesterday) and pc didn't boot properly this whole time. The other soc voltage on the main bios page was also on auto in the beginning and also didn't work, and changing it to manual higher or lower voltages also didn't make a difference. That ''someone'' just saved me when you couldn't . Yes , I should blame myself for asking for help on a forum with such passiv-aggressive members.
''Hopefully, you don't end up quickly degrading and destroying that cpu over a few months with your overclock...''
What can I say.. I could spend precious time describing to you that I ALWAYS use LOWER values than what other people suggest (in other words I am always undervolting everything: cores, socket, uncore\cache) and by always looking at the temps (35 idle and max 58C at max load) that others only achive with Custom loops , I am pretty sure I won't distroy it since on this pc I only play games that use only 25%-30% of this cpu at most..But all this is irrelevant...Since I am rich and plan to buy the 4900x or 4950x anyway it will be enough for me if this 3900x survives till winter.

Don't bother to write back\insult me again since I won't be returning to this page and have disabled all notification for this account (which is a throw-away account anyway..so I won't be using it in the future).

Status
Not open for further replies.