[SOLVED] 360mm Gigabyte Aorus on 3950x Always 20-25C Above Ambient

Sep 16, 2020
I have a 3950x (stock clock, 1800 IF), Thermal Grizzly and Gigabyte Aorus 360mm. It is (Tctl/Tdie) at 50C, which is 20-25 above room ambient, at IDLE.

ksQRkOi.png

This seems a bit high to me. I have tried maxing out the pump and fan in Aorus Engine, which has made no difference.
  • Exhaust:
    • Top: The AIO in question (exhausted air is warm)
    • Back: 120mm System Fan (exhausted air is cool)
  • Intake:
    • Rear: 3x 120mm
    • Bottom: 3x 120mm
  • GPU:
    • Stock cooler on old 1070 (waiting for Ampere/Big Navi to play out)
    • Higher-than-stock fan curves
  • Pressure: Extremely positive, airflow can be felt near the unused PCIE slots.
Is this just the 3950x, is the Aorus just a bad cooler, or is something wrong with my setup?

Solution
So 61°C is WELL below recommended maximum specs, there is no problem. With that maximum temperature, the fact that you have a high idle temperature is irrelevant. There is no benefit for you to have a lower idle temperature. You don't "gain" anything by it. Lower idle temps don't extend the life of hardware, or make things work better, or do anything, at all, and are utterly unimportant so long as there are no problems at the other end of the thermal envelope.

So long as you remain below 80°C under any sustained steady state full load conditions, there is nothing to be concerned about thermally.
Your fan configuration seems wrong, but I think there might be some confusion to your naming of locations as well. WHERE, EXACTLY, are the "intake" fans you have named as "rear"?

What case do you have?

Why do you not have any front fans listed?

I suspect the case model is the clue here, but for MOST systems it would be top and rear fans are exhaust, always, and front, side and bottom fans are intake, always. There are a few exceptions, but VERY few.

Reactions: zamalek
I figured, but, I've seen standard towers with some of the most ass backward configurations you could imagine, so I always have to ask if I'm not sure or I don't know the specs.

Moving on.

"Idle" is a highly subjective state. What idle means on one system is probably not the same as what idle means on another system.

What is meant by "stock" clocks? Because on most Ryzen systems, PBO or PBO2 are enabled by default in the motherboard BIOS and those are definitely not stock clocks. XFR2/precision boost IS stock clocks, but PBO isn't. Do you have Precision boost overdrive enabled in the BIOS?

Is your pump set to 100% full time operation?

What are your MAXIMUM core temps under full load? Because "idle" temps really are meaningless unless you are exceeding the maximum core temperatures under a full steady state load such as running Prime95 Small FFT for 15 minutes.

Reactions: zamalek
So 61°C is WELL below recommended maximum specs, there is no problem. With that maximum temperature, the fact that you have a high idle temperature is irrelevant. There is no benefit for you to have a lower idle temperature. You don't "gain" anything by it. Lower idle temps don't extend the life of hardware, or make things work better, or do anything, at all, and are utterly unimportant so long as there are no problems at the other end of the thermal envelope.

So long as you remain below 80°C under any sustained steady state full load conditions, there is nothing to be concerned about thermally.

Solution