paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
what is the better cpu to get i know that the 805 d is a dual core and the 3700+ is single but what is the better cpu to get.
i dont over clock so that is not important to me.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
if you are gaming mostly, then get the 3700+ otherwise i'm not sure which is better but i'm sure the only thing the intel will be better for is multitasking because it's dual core and has hyper threading

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
if you are gaming mostly, then get the 3700+ otherwise i'm not sure which is better but i'm sure the only thing the intel will be better for is multitasking because it's dual core and has hyper threading
Pentium D 805 is dualcore, but has no hyper threading.
There are almost no apps compiled for multicore processing, so 3700+ is the right choice anyway.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
thanks i purchased the cpu already and was just second guessing if i got the better one. because i was debating between the two. btw it was the 3700 that i got.

There are almost no apps compiled for multicore processing, so 3700+ is the right choice anyway.

Windows is multithreaded so multitasking works great so dont BS how things arnt for dualcore (keeps things like AV buisy while gaming etc).

The 3700+ is faster single core and good enough for general usage, the dualcore would have been good for future poofing.

You are aware you need the appropriate board and system for each chip BTW?

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Windows is multithreaded so multitasking works great so dont BS how things arnt for dualcore (keeps things like AV buisy while gaming etc).

The 3700+ is faster single core and good enough for general usage, the dualcore would have been good for future poofing.

yeah both cpu's were to include a board that was based on the same chipset the intel was a asus board and the amd was a ecs board. the main thing i seen was that the amd setup was 220 and the intel setup was 200. since im not planing on staying with this board i went with the and since it was the bigger savings. but till i get a better board im stuck with this one.
one thing i noticed is that the sound level went down and it is almost like there is no fans but they are running

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The only reason to get an 805 is if ur a total cheap ass.. or if ur an overclocker

:roll: . o O (I know, I'm a cheapo)

I guess its the same for AMD buyers..

Getting the Opty 175 to OC to FX60 instead of buying the FX 60.

:oops: <--sreams down the hallways.. "the AMD Cheapos are coming, the AMD Cheapos are coming!!"

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i was looking at the id # on the box and it is the clawhammer the part # is ada3700cfbox.
what is the difference between the sd and the clawhammer other than the stepping #?

also is 53C normal temp for nothing running but windows. i know that some will say check the seating of the fan but i dont know how you can set it in wrong as it sits in teh space and clips down then twists the little lock into place.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
See.. now we have to explain the difference of SD and Clawhammer.. He should have got the 805..

J/K!!!

edit: :oops: . o O (I though this was the Intel Pentium 4 640 vs 641 Question thread for a few mins)

Clawhammer, if I remeber right, will run hotter.

SD should OC better...

Errr, tats all I remember. :cry:

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
thanks for the update i never payed attn to what the cpus were doing till i decided to upgrade from my 2500+ that has been very good to me for the last 2 years. and maybe that fact that the clawhammer runs a little hotter might be why it runs in the low to mid 50's at idle.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Perhaps getting a Zalman 7700 or 9500 Copper HSF may help keep that beast cool, that is if your using the stock HSF. Might be worth the cost, unless you send it back for a Sandy.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i just ran a cpu burn in for like 20 min and it never got above 62c and what i used to check the temp was teh amd cool and quiet dashboard when i shut the burn in off it instantly dropped to 57c. i think the stock fan will do i was just concerned but it looks as if everything is ok

endyen

Splendid
Your temps do seem wrong. Chances are really good that it's just the ECS board reading things wrong.
Not to insult you, but did you take the clear plastic layer off the bottom of the hsf?

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Your temps do seem wrong. Chances are really good that it's just the ECS board reading things wrong.
Not to insult you, but did you take the clear plastic layer off the bottom of the hsf?

lol that was not a insult because i could imagin someone making that mistake. but yes i removed it.

i was thinking that it might be the board also and im using onboard gpu at the moment it is a radeon express 200. i found a 6200 for 45 bucks so i ordered that to hold me over till i get more funds to upgrade the board then a new gpu.

will the onboard gpu increase the temp since it is demanding cpu power?

yeah both cpu's were to include a board that was based on the same chipset the intel was a asus board and the amd was a ecs board. the main thing i seen was that the amd setup was 220 and the intel setup was 200. since im not planing on staying with this board i went with the and since it was the bigger savings. but till i get a better board im stuck with this one.
one thing i noticed is that the sound level went down and it is almost like there is no fans but they are running

by god DONT TOUCH THE ECS CRAP BOARDS - NEVER GO SKIMPY ON THE MOTHERBOARD and also dont touch s754.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

by god DONT TOUCH THE ECS CRAP BOARDS - NEVER GO SKIMPY ON THE MOTHERBOARD and also dont touch s754.

lol i dont like ecs either and it is not a s754 it is 939. the board and cpu was a combo deal for 220$ and i could not pass that up since the cpu is around that price anywhere you look if not higher. it will just hold me over till i can get a better board i have a lanparty for my xp2500+ and would like to get a lanparty board that is 939 for this cpu but till i can save the money up to get the board this one will have to do.

btw here is my cpu info can you verify that it is a claw http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=80651

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I suggest the 3700. DO NOT use Intel. They suck. If you want a dual core AMD for a good price, go for the 4200+. I'm getting the 4800+.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
lol that was not a insult because i could imagin someone making that mistake.

right here... :oops: and I got a ECS mobo, too. So smart of me.

what cpu are you running on that ecs board and what model board do you have? also what is your temps.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
btw here is my cpu info can you verify that it is a claw http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=80651

SSE3 = San Diago, and your cpu is WAY too hot. My Venice at 2.9ghz was under 60c, and I slowed it down to stay under 50c (2.75ghz.)