[SOLVED] 3700x>5900x, Is it worth it?

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
Hello all, Currently i play some cpu heavy games and was wondering what kind of improvement id see on them in terms of stable fps/ more fps? My current 3700x plays games jusst fine but i know its bottlenecking my cpu bound games bec of core latency. Another question I have is, my current 3700x runs about 60 celcius in games. will the 5900x run hotter than that? Thanks for the tips!

Solution
Based on 5900X reviews, it would seem to outpace the 3700X by roughly....30% or so in the most CPU-limited games. BDO isn't a commonly benchmarked game, and without a side-by-side benchmark review of both chips in the same system, it's hard to draw exact conclusions for that particular game. Little differences in system specs can make noticeable differences.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/4

nsYLoGnXJqbXwpToJ2h9G9-970-80.png.webp

The 3700X is no slouch, and it should provide more than acceptable levels of performance in BDO. If your FPS isn't what is expected, that's the first place to start. If you're more concerned about having the absolute BEST...

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
What games?
What resolution?
I currently play in 1440p. and the biggest game i play the most is Black Desert Online. I know the game isnt coded well for optimization, however, i do know my 3700x doessnt work that well on it bec of the latency apparently. so my frame drops are crazy in game and very unstable

EDIT: This is paired with 32gb ddr4 3200mhz, and an evga rtx 3080

I currently play in 1440p. and the biggest game i play the most is Black Desert Online. I know the game isnt coded well for optimization, however, i do know my 3700x doessnt work that well on it bec of the latency apparently. so my frame drops are crazy in game and very unstable
What’s the full pc spec? What do you mean by latency?

I’m running a 3700x with 3080 for 1440p and it’s a great combination and very stable FPS in the games I play. A 5000 series might squeeze out a few more FPS but the performance is so good anyway I don’t see the point in upgrading.

Reactions: GarrettL

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
What’s the full pc spec? What do you mean by latency?

I’m running a 3700x with 3080 for 1440p and it’s a great combination and very stable FPS in the games I play. A 5000 series might squeeze out a few more FPS but the performance is so good anyway I don’t see the point in upgrading.

Idk how to explain this thoroughly, but because of how bad the game is coded its very heavy on cpu performance and idk why but ryzen is jusst really bad for it. from what i heard the 3700x is the worst cpu for the game and ive heard good things about the 5900x so i wanted to see if it was worth upgrading

If you've got the money and are convinced that CPU is the problem, then go ahead. Aside from a potentially rumored XT variant, the 5000 series CPUs will be the last AM4 CPUs, so it's the end of the line on your current mobo.

5900X seems like massive overkill for BDO. I'm assuming you need all them cores for something else?

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
@yaboibaron That explanation sounds odd. Can you point to where you heard this?

You should make sure your CPU isn't downclocking while gaming.
Load up HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) in the background while you game for 30+mins and then go through the logs to see what your CPU is actually doing.
I definitely will do this tonight! Uhm its just a community thing I’ve heard. And from FPS and game steadiness I’ve seen, the 5900x outperforms the 3700x for this game in a big way. I just wish I knew the details of why. I’m not that knowledgeable in depth sadly

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
I agree, this sounds like the OP saw some YouTube video and is now convinced they need to spend $600 on a CPU upgrade for a 7 year old game.... Recommended spec CPU = i5-650 (HAHA)

** Not saying CPU scaling can't continue past a game's release date. Example: GTA5.
Believe me I’m not the kind to do such a thing, I’ve just heard great things and actual numbers from people on my game showing their performance with the chip. It’s why I was curious

Reactions: Bassman999
Based on 5900X reviews, it would seem to outpace the 3700X by roughly....30% or so in the most CPU-limited games. BDO isn't a commonly benchmarked game, and without a side-by-side benchmark review of both chips in the same system, it's hard to draw exact conclusions for that particular game. Little differences in system specs can make noticeable differences.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/4

nsYLoGnXJqbXwpToJ2h9G9-970-80.png.webp

The 3700X is no slouch, and it should provide more than acceptable levels of performance in BDO. If your FPS isn't what is expected, that's the first place to start. If you're more concerned about having the absolute BEST performance available, be prepared to refresh your system every year.

Last edited:
Solution

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hello all, Currently i play some cpu heavy games and was wondering what kind of improvement id see on them in terms of stable fps/ more fps? My current 3700x plays games jusst fine but i know its bottlenecking my cpu bound games bec of core latency. Another question I have is, my current 3700x runs about 60 celcius in games. will the 5900x run hotter than that? Thanks for the tips!

I can't really see it making one bit of difference in games, and if it does, it's likely to be a very small amount which is not worth the upgrade

Reactions: alexbirdie

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Let me help, NO. Save your money. Unless you get pay to game at 240hz, and need that extra .001 FPS, why would you?

You see the most bang for your buck on upgrading doing upgrades every 4-6 years. I know not the most popular answer when people who have money to burn want to upgrade every gen (READ charge it to their credit cards lol)

If you do lifecycle PC management, you will see larger improvements, than upgrading every single year. (ask me know I know, I once did the same nonsense)

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
the 5900x will absolutely give you better fps in almost every game that relies on cpu. but the difference wont be too much, especially if youre in 1440p. the question is, is it worth spending three times the ammount on a cpu to get 15 more fps if youre lucky. probably not. the 5900x is more along the lines of an editing or multipurpose rig use. like if you want to use your rig to stream and game all at once. or edit video and what not. the 5900x will decimate a 3700x in those regards. for gaming you'd probably be lucky to get 15 more fps in games. in my opinion its never worth spending 3 times the ammount on an item just to do one thing like play black desert... once you stop playing the game you'll look at it and think, i could've bought a 3090 with the difference i spent on that cpu if i sold the 3080 too, and you'd see frame gains much higher on every game. it's pretty hard to bottleneck a 3700 and if a game is bottlenecking it, it's the game and not the hardware and maybe is worth waiting for an update instead of spending 3x the ammount on a new cpu to get negligible gains. again this is all my opinion, money doesnt come easy to me and maybe you have a ton of it burning a hole in your pocket and you just want the best of the best. in that case it's completely understandable.

Reactions: alexbirdie