[SOLVED] 3700x bottleneck 2070 super?

afmckay

Reputable
Apr 16, 2019
I have no idea if this website is reliable or not. According to them the 3700x severely bottlenecks 2070 super.

Weak PC components bottleneck the whole system. For example: an AMD Ryzen 3700X bottlenecks an Nvidia 2070 Super. The 3700X costs 40% more money for 11% less performance. The lost performance is similar to downgrading from a 2070S to a 2060S. Publishing EFps data puts UserBenchmark in conflict with the marketing from billion dollar corporations, but it also helps our users to build faster PCs by dodging marketing traps.

is this accurate or not?

Solution
Userbenchmark is only useful for troubleshooting, and nothing more.
That site is also run by Intel shills, so ignore that bottleneck BS.

A 3700X is not going to bottleneck a 2070 Super. In fact, a 9600K is more likely to be a limitation because it only has 6 threads - overclocking won't save it at all in games that can use 6 or more threads.
Plus, the non-hyperthreaded cpus suffer high frame time spikes when all their cores are loaded anyway.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
Well its true 9600k performs better in games compared to 3700x especially when its overclocked. But you buy a CPU depending on your needs and workloads you will be carrying out. You wouldn't buy a 3700x if you are just playing games. If your workload is mostly multi-threaded based than buying 3700x over 9600k makes complete scene as 3700x is about twice as fast in multi-threaded workloads. And if you are doing other things while gaming such as streaming then 3700x will also out preform 9600k.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Userbenchmark is only useful for troubleshooting, and nothing more.
That site is also run by Intel shills, so ignore that bottleneck BS.

A 3700X is not going to bottleneck a 2070 Super. In fact, a 9600K is more likely to be a limitation because it only has 6 threads - overclocking won't save it at all in games that can use 6 or more threads.
Plus, the non-hyperthreaded cpus suffer high frame time spikes when all their cores are loaded anyway.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Their "EFPS" testing methodology seems rather questionable, as they are only focused on a handful of older and/or otherwise less demanding games, running at 1080p resolution. This testing won't show the limitations of a 9600K's 6-threads, nor will it show how in graphically demanding games, especially at resolutions above 1080p, the graphics hardware will be what's limiting performance more often than not. In these less-demanding games, even the 9600K is technically "bottlenecking" the 2070 SUPER's performance, just to a bit lesser extent. If one is only interesting in playing these games at this resolution, they probably won't see much benefit from a $500+ graphics card over one costing significantly less.

If they really wanted to provide an accurate comparison of hardware performance, they would be testing more than just a handful of esports titles at a lower resolution and calling it a day. Instead, they should also be benchmarking recent releases at a variety of resolutions to provide a better picture of how the hardware will perform in current and upcoming games.

There's also a lot of sensationalist writing on that page, and in some ways they are being downright manipulative. They open by claiming that a 3700X gets less gaming performance than a 9600K while costing more, but fail to to mention that both processors are overclocked in their test, and that the 9600K requires decent aftermarket cooling to get that performance, whereas the 3700X gets practically its full performance without overclocking on its included stock cooler. In fact, there was no need to even make it an AMD vs Intel comparison, as an overclocked 9600K should perform practically the same as an overclocked 9700K or 9900K in that limited set of lightly-threaded benchmarks they ran, apparently making those processors redundant as well.

I do visit UserBenchmark a fair amount, but that "EFPS" testing seems like complete garbage in its current form, about on par with other useless "bottlenecking" sites that only base their results on a very limited set of data that probably won't apply to most users.

I have a 3700x and 2080 Super and gaming at 1440p. There is no cpu bottleneck in my games, I am entirely gpu limited. Also while the 9600k can achieve higher average FPS when running a high end gpu at low resolutions it can also suffer lower minimum 1.0 & 0.1% which arguably impacts gaming more than average FPS. I personally would not buy an i5 given it’s already showing it limitations of only have 6 threads when you can buy a 3600 for less with 12 threads. That userbenchmark information is complete misleading garbage.

TRENDING THREADS