Question 3700X cooling

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Quick question: On my Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus MB I have enabled both DOCP and performance mode in BIOS. Will the stock Wraith cooler be sufficient to not throttle the CPU in a FD Define R6 case? If there is a chance my plan would be to pick up a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B Cooler for $50.

Thanks.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That 6 pipe Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B should work well on a 3700x.
I have a 4 pipe Artcic 33 eSports (Dual Fan) cooler and my 3700x idles between 32 and 34c and maxes out around 60 to 62c after gaming for hours.
I have a Mesh front case with 3 120 mm intake fans and 2 exhaust fans and it has excellent airflow.

That Define R6 has a solid front panel though, so I would make sure you install as many case fans as it will allow just to ensure you get the best airflow you can for that case.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There aren't any programs like FanXpert other than what comes with motherboard software. The only other program that works for monitoring/controlling fan speeds is SpeedFan, which is far from graphical, but if you can actually figure it out, works well.

Don't be put off by the seemingly diminutive size of the Mugen. It's a 200w cpu cooler and extremely good at its job, regardless of its lower price. More expensive doesn't = better.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You can use FanXpert without installing AiSuite, it has a seperate exe. At least my version of FanXpert (the 1st version) does. Not sure about II or III.
Yeah, I tried that.
But even just using FanXpert 4 without AISuite 3, I was getting random results.
Sometimes it worked perfectly then for no reason that I could discovery my fans would reset to silent or standard profile settings.
It was less headache for me to just spend $10 for an app that reliable controls my fans.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I tried AI Suite III with Fan Xpert 4 and my system was not happy...weird booting issues...uninstalled. Too bad as the one I had from 7 years ago worked well...

Tried Argus and it is really almost too much....all I want is to see what temps are and fan speeds.....it seems that most of the utilities are for tweaking.

Still looking.....

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I tried AI Suite III with Fan Xpert 4 and my system was not happy...weird booting issues...uninstalled. Too bad as the one I had from 7 years ago worked well...

Tried Argus and it is really almost too much....all I want is to see what temps are and fan speeds.....it seems that most of the utilities are for tweaking.

Still looking.....
You could just set manual fan profiles in your BIOS.
Then use HWinfo or Ryzen Master to monitor your temperatures.
HWinfo should show your fan speeds as well.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, kind of figured I'd get there....as there doesn't seem to be anything available anymore......I did look at both of the apps you noted and it seemed that while Ryzen Master looked better, HWinfo is certainly lighter on the system.

As I am changing out my OE cooler for the Mugen noted above, I'll have an interesting difference to look at.