Question 3700x High voltages! Powerplan questions

Jul 22, 2022
I have some questions about my 3700x on auto voltages.
I have Ryzen balanced powerplan, minimum is set to 90% and maximum 100%.
I’m using Hwinfo64
While running cinebench for 10min my voltages where around 1.25v according to SV12 TFN, I never saw it go above 1.3v this is while running multicore at 100% 3.95-4ghz at 70 degrees. Is this normal ? Temps is probably bc of my case porr airflow!

My gaming voltages where around 1.44v and a maximum of 1.489v. Are these okay ?

But my idle voltages spikes up to 1.53v when it’s boosting(while idle) and then going down to sub ~1v. And then boosting again to 1.5v some times just a bit more.
Previously when I ran Ryzen balanced at maximum of 99% it stayed at 0.975v
But now that is at 100% it jumps between ~1v and ~1.5v
.These voltages is what CPU SV12 TFN is showing

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x at auto voltages. Latest chipset drivers
N7 b550 with latest bios update. I have not touched anything except enabled xmp for my ram.
Corsair 16gb with xmp enabled. (3200mhz 1.35v)
3060ti
Corsair 750w gold
Case is Nzxt h510 elite( this is why my system may be running a bit hot)
Windows 10

Are these cinebench and gaming voltage okay ? I’m most worried about that IDLE 1.54v SPIKE

KEEP IN MIND THAT IM ON AUTO VOLTAGES

HOW SHOULD I SET UP MY POWERPLAN ?
Should i stick with amd balanced powerplan ?
What minimum and maximum should i set ?

Is there ANYTHING I should change ?
And ask me anything if you need more info.
Thx

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Why would you set the minimum to 90%? This effectively defeats the entire purpose of having a balanced power plan which is to reduce power consumption when it isn't necessary and therefore also reduce heat and core temperatures by give cores the chance to "rest" which effectively reduces package temperatures. Generally we recommend setting the minimum processor power management setting to somewhere between 5 and 10%. I pretty much always set them to 5% on every system I work on including my own systems.

If you have Precision boost overdrive enabled either in the BIOS or through Ryzen master, then you are likely to see those higher voltages during extreme boosted conditions. If you disable PBO in the BIOS you'll likely see a reduction in core voltage as well as core/package temperatures, but you'll also likely see a somewhat reduced level of performance as well but that is irrelevant if you are running outside of the desired thermal envelope because if you are not staying within thermal spec then the system is probably already throttling the CPU performance anyhow so in some cases you might actually see an INCREASE in performance by disabling PBO if it is causing you to overheat, even to a minor degree. The other obvious option is to look at a better cooler and a case with better airflow options.

If you take the side panel off and the overheating stops or gets better then you likely have a lack of sufficient case and case fan cooling performance, if it doesn't then you likely have a CPU cooler that isn't up to the task and if you are running the stock cooler that's pretty much already a foregone conclusion. I'd really recommend that you disable Precision boost overdrive, which is similar to an automatic overclock behavior built into these systems, until you get a case with better airflow and a better cooler, depending on what cooler you have now.

Reactions: CountMike

ASK THE COMMUNITY