[SOLVED] 3700X Idle Temperature Fluctuations

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
My Ryzen 3700x idle temperatures fluctuate between 45-55 degrees C very rapidly on idle. The graph on MSI afterburner shows that the CPU temperature looks like something of a sawtooth graph even though I am not currently doing anything, is this normal?

Also , are my idle temperatures supposed to be this high?

Solution
Cooler Master ML360 with the thermal paste that came with it. My fans are plugged into the CPU_OPT and my pump is plugged into CPU_FAN. Should I max out the RPM for the pump in the BIOS? Does that even change anything since its just a pump and not the fan?
When it comes to monitoring temps etc on Ryzen use Ryzen master and hwinfo64 to get the most accurate readings. My ryzen 5 3600 idles/light load temps/voltages are: 41c-55c on avrg 1,381v and on high load Cinebench 20 80c - 88c on avrg 1,300v and prime95 75c stable ish 1,300 - 1,400 volts on 1280kb min/max custom test.

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Cooler Master ML360 with the thermal paste that came with it. My fans are plugged into the CPU_OPT and my pump is plugged into CPU_FAN. Should I max out the RPM for the pump in the BIOS? Does that even change anything since its just a pump and not the fan?

Apr 5, 2020
When it comes to monitoring temps etc on Ryzen use Ryzen master and hwinfo64 to get the most accurate readings. My ryzen 5 3600 idles/light load temps/voltages are: 41c-55c on avrg 1,381v and on high load Cinebench 20 80c - 88c on avrg 1,300v and prime95 75c stable ish 1,300 - 1,400 volts on 1280kb min/max custom test.

Solution

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016

I am using HWinfo and the readings are similar to msi afterburner. Do ryzen chips run hotter than intel chips since my light load temps are almost the same as yours? The RPM reading on both my CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN do change with temperatures, but im quite confused why a pump has an RPM reading and a fan curve

Apr 5, 2020
I am using HWinfo and the readings are similar to msi afterburner. Do ryzen chips run hotter than intel chips since my light load temps are almost the same as yours? The RPM reading on both my CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN do change with temperatures, but im quite confused why a pump has an RPM reading and a fan curve
Yes they do because at stock the chips autoclock themselves and adjust the voltage accordingly.
I recommend getting ryzen master and potentially updating your chipset drivers.

Jing__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Yes they do because at stock the chips autoclock themselves and adjust the voltage accordingly.
I recommend getting ryzen master and potentially updating your chipset drivers.

Should i reduce the voltage or something then? Or is it safe for it to idle at such high temps?

Folk's definition of 'idle' may not truly be a true idle, where nothing is happening, as file indexing, updates, scans, file storage sync, etc., can occur in the background causing one of more cores to upclock(boost) with commensurate core voltage and temperature spike for the duration of the tasks.

Reactions: JerT