[SOLVED] 3700x or 5600x or 3800x

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I need to buy a new cpu and want to pay around $300. It will be used for office work and compiling code. The 3800x would be a little more money than the other 2, is it worth it? How do the 3700x and the 5600x compare, are they pretty similiar?

also a member of this forum told me that since the 5600x is so new there might be compatibility issues with the mobos currently available and it might take 6 months to get it stable with patches, bios updates and such. I also read that no new mobos are being released for this new cpu.

what would be the best cpu to get for the price mentioned above?

thanks for your help.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
I need to buy a new cpu and want to pay around $300. It will be used for office work and compiling code. The 3800x would be a little more money than the other 2, is it worth it? How do the 3700x and the 5600x compare, are they pretty similiar?

also a member of this forum told me that since the 5600x is so new there might be compatibility issues with the mobos currently available and it might take 6 months to get it stable with patches, bios updates and such. I also read that no new mobos are being released for this new cpu.

thanks for your help.
I'm not sure about 6 months to get stable and optimized BIOS'...but if past launches are a guide certainly two or...

thanks for your help.
I'm not sure about 6 months to get stable and optimized BIOS'...but if past launches are a guide certainly two or three outside. But for Ryzen 5000 it's mostly getting memory to work right with high overclocks and supposedly AMD's working on AGESA to help with that.

The REAL problem is scalpers sitting on most of the world's stock right now (or so it seems) and charging sky high prices for them so there just aren't a whole lot of people reporting their experiences yet. Come to think on it... maybe 6 months is needed to get a stable and affordable supply so that scalpers aren't cornering the market and a whole lot of average users can tell us what it's like.

But I totally agree with 5600X...if you're doing things that rely on extreme light threaded performance (like gaming) it's pretty much unanimously declared the king of processors right now.

Only consider a 3700X if you absolutely have to have the extra threads (and a 5800X or 5900X is just out of reach). But even a properly set up 3800X isn't compelling enough, with very little performance margin over a 3700X that's also properly set up. I see it a good choice only if you're interested in extreme overclocking as it's a safe bet to get higher fixed clocks at a lower fixed voltage. Even for all the effort, though, it will have marginal actual performance gains over a 3700X; but it will be the higher clocks if that's important.

Last edited:
Solution

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
@drea.drechsler - thanks for the info. Yeah, the 3800x is out. I am not sure how many of the programs I use benefit from multiple core as opposed to a real high performance but fewer cores. This is for a workstation build not really any gaming but casual. I think It is sounding like the 5600x would be best for me, but I am not willing to pay crazy scalper prices. Something around $300 is acceptable. Also looks like it might take a while to achieve stability. I cant afford to wait 3 to 6 months. I need this build for work and the sooner the better, but I am willing to wait a little bit if I have to. What do you think of a wait time based on the factors you stated, affordability and stability? Is 6 months about right or is it less?

... What do you think of a wait time based on the factors you stated, affordability and stability? Is 6 months about right or is it less?
I don't think anybody has a crystal ball on this. The pandemic is just part of the problem as it's proving very difficult to move goods around the globe and clear them through the various quarantines different jurisdictions and organizations impose along with the understaffed conditions that prevail. Add on top of that the pent up demand for a truly novel CPU architecture that's matured...it is kind of unreal.

It's not just CPU's and GPU's that are being impacted: bicycles went out of stock and are hard to get, even GFI/AFI circuit breakers are hard to get. Nvidia is saying they won't have their product in the market in any quantity until the end of year or early next year. I think we have to consider that may be a reasonable expectation for AMD's products too.

Last edited: