[SOLVED] 3700x showing unusual idle readings

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
Hello, I've posted a thread about this a few days ago but more problems have arose since. I put together my new build recently and I noticed my idle temps and frequencies were way too high for idle. With chrome and discord open, hwinfo64 shows temps from 45-60c and frequencies of 3.4-4.2Ghz. CPU-Z and task manager also show the same frequencies. On Ryzen master, however this is not the case; all temps, frequencies, and voltages are completely normal. These problems go away once I disable CPB in BIOS although someone said you don't want to do that so now I'm here. I have no clue what to do and who I should believe because constantly staying at 50+ degrees is clearly not good. I'm using the stock cooler with room temps of 22c. Also, I am using the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. Please help.

Solution
So why does having a few programs open need 4GHz of speed on an 8 core processor? I didn't think chrome and discord were hard applications to run:(
And, why doesn't Ryzen Master show the same frequencies if it does indeed take 4GHz to run chrome?
Check Task Manager to see how much and which resources are used. Ryzen Master CPU-Z etc show only one, highest core, Look in advanced view in RM to see which cores are loaded most. It's possible that only one of cores is used and others may be even in sleep mode. Just because you see let's say 4GHz that doesn't mean that whole CPU is at that frequency, this is the age of multicore processors.
When the clock speeds are at bouncing around from 3.4-4.2 GHz, those fluctuating temps would be normal...

To see a true 'idle' temp, you'd need to close Chrome, Discord, all cloud storage syncs, your AV, etc., where under no load, the clock speed would be reduced enough to allow temps to be low. But, the instant any load-inducing task appears, the clock speed and temps will ramp back up for the duration.

You can check temps during a moderately heavy load such as induced during CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU ; this should task all cores for near max clock speed, and show you your near-100% load temp. (Prime95/small FFTs/no AVX/AVX2 will induced a true max load if you want to see some genuine worrisome temp spikes!

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
When the clock speeds are at bouncing around from 3.4-4.2 GHz, those fluctuating temps would be normal...

To see a true 'idle' temp, you'd need to close Chrome, Discord, all cloud storage syncs, your AV, etc., where under no load, the clock speed would be reduced enough to allow temps to be low. But, the instant any load-inducing task appears, the clock speed and temps will ramp back up for the duration.

You can check temps during a moderately heavy load such as induced during CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU ; this should task all cores for near max clock speed, and show you your near-100% load temp. (Prime95/small FFTs/no AVX/AVX2 will induced a true max load if you want to see some genuine worrisome temp spikes!
So why does having a few programs open need 4GHz of speed on an 8 core processor? I didn't think chrome and discord were hard applications to run:(
And, why doesn't Ryzen Master show the same frequencies if it does indeed take 4GHz to run chrome?

Check Task Manager to see how much and which resources are used. Ryzen Master CPU-Z etc show only one, highest core, Look in advanced view in RM to see which cores are loaded most. It's possible that only one of cores is used and others may be even in sleep mode. Just because you see let's say 4GHz that doesn't mean that whole CPU is at that frequency, this is the age of multicore processors.

Solution

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
Thanks. Thats good to know.

So why does having a few programs open need 4GHz of speed on an 8 core processor? ..

Just 'cause it's boosting to a high clock doesn't mean it's a hard process to chug through. Ryzen uses a boost approach called a 'rush to idle', that means it gives every process that comes along the absolute maximum amount of processing power it can (within the thermal headroom of the processor, and power headroom of the VRM) to get it finished quickly and then put as many cores as it can back to deep sleep.

Also, in light work all you're seeing is the clock of one core...the highest...in many utilities. In reality, my 3700X is rarely using more than 2 cores (4 threads) at any one slice in time (unless doing something that needs it). The rest are in a deep C6 sleep state and using no power at all.