[SOLVED] 3700x stable but doesnt communicate with the pcie 3.0 (Pls help)

Sep 20, 2021
Components: b450 tomahawk max, 1080 ti asus FE, ballistix 3200mhz c14, 3700x, ssd team group 240gb //// new motherboard: asus prime a520M-K (updated motherboard bios to latest, re installed gpu bios)

I've been having issues with my pc out of nowhere it began restarting over and over, at first it would let me get into the desktop but after 4 times it started looping the restart in logo screen i thought it was the ssd so I reinstalled windows and it started restarting again installed in a hdd and it worked but when i tried installing my nvidia drivers it didnt use my card (wouldnt load nvidia control panel) like it tried to, it did the restart of display as to trying to regognize the card and run the display through the driver, but went back to displaying image without using the driver (tried re installing in 3 different hard drives, usb one, ssd, and hdd and in some of them i would get the blue screen nvidia nvlddmkm.sys after installing the os) I got it to boot in a few of the reinstals so i went to device manager and it said under my gpu (1080 ti fe asus) code 43 which is usually a hardware problem I thought it was my pcie 3.0 port that was damaged,

so i switched to my secondary pcie2 16x (4x lanes) and the gpu worked accepted the driver and showed everything working in gpu-z, when before it didnt show any info on memory so its not the gpu (i hope and guess), obviously i thought it was the pcie 3.0 slot in my motherboard so i bought one and changed everything yesterday but it showed the same code 43 meaning its not my pcie 3.0 of main mother board so motherboard is fine gpu is fine ram sticks are fine cause im using them with my pcie 2,0 4x lanes rn and everything runs flawless storage is not the issue.. its driving me nutts, i dont know what it is and i cant play with a capped gpu lol im hugely capped by the 4x lanes of that 2.0 port which is a supreme L... is it my cpu? or the lanes that the cpu uses to communicate with pcie 3.0 but from the cpu? it must be a cpu problem right? how could i test this for sure? confusing because the cpu works flawlessly in everything else and its stable

Never had any issues with any of the components before, no weird temperatures and everything has been stable for almost a year.

What my gpu shows in the pcie 2.0 4x lanes:

unknown.png
unknown.png

Course of action if its my cpu:

replacing my cpu (3700x) with a next gen 5600x with my old motherboard (b450 tomahawk)
but i dont want to just keep buying components blindly to fix it

Course of action if its my gpu:
cry

Main question:
How can I test if my cpu is the problem without replacing it with another ryzen as I dont have access to another one rn?

Solution
I will do a clean install of windows in the new motherboard, but why would it be the gpu if its working in the pcie 2.0 4x?

I did reset the CMOS but maybe i didnt do it when i needed... can you tell me how i should do the things you suggested in order? I also installed the AMD chipset drivers when i reinstalled in the tomahawk, but i didnt do that again for the new mb.

I also went in the bios and tried any possible combination between gen 1 to 3 of pci e in the 3.0 port and also different combinations of lane structures (8x8, 8x4x4 etc)
I'd reset CMOS first, then re-install the chipset drivers.

I'd also consider removing (uninstalling) the GPU's drivers and cleaning up with DDU...display driver uninstaller. Then try...
Components: b450 tomahawk max, 1080 ti asus FE, ballistix 3200mhz c14, 3700x, ssd team group 240gb //// new motherboard: asus prime a520M-K (updated motherboard bios to latest, re installed gpu bios)

I've been having issues with my pc out of nowhere it began restarting over and over, at first it would let me get into the desktop but after 4 times it started looping the restart in logo screen i thought it was the ssd so I reinstalled windows and it started restarting again installed in a hdd and it worked but when i tried installing my nvidia drivers it didnt use my card (wouldnt load nvidia control panel) like it tried to, it did the restart of display as to trying to regognize the card and run the display through the driver, but went back to displaying image without using the driver (tried re installing in 3 different hard drives, usb one, ssd, and hdd and in some of them i would get the blue screen nvidia nvlddmkm.sys after installing the os) I got it to boot in a few of the reinstals so i went to device manager and it said under my gpu (1080 ti fe asus) code 43 which is usually a hardware problem I thought it was my pcie 3.0 port that was damaged,

so i switched to my secondary pcie2 16x (4x lanes) and the gpu worked accepted the driver and showed everything working in gpu-z, when before it didnt show any info on memory so its not the gpu (i hope and guess), obviously i thought it was the pcie 3.0 slot in my motherboard so i bought one and changed everything yesterday but it showed the same code 43 meaning its not my pcie 3.0 of main mother board so motherboard is fine gpu is fine ram sticks are fine cause im using them with my pcie 2,0 4x lanes rn and everything runs flawless storage is not the issue.. its driving me nutts, i dont know what it is and i cant play with a capped gpu lol im hugely capped by the 4x lanes of that 2.0 port which is a supreme L... is it my cpu? or the lanes that the cpu uses to communicate with pcie 3.0 but from the cpu? it must be a cpu problem right? how could i test this for sure? confusing because the cpu works flawlessly in everything else and its stable

Never had any issues with any of the components before, no weird temperatures and everything has been stable for almost a year.

What my gpu shows in the pcie 2.0 4x lanes:

unknown.png
unknown.png

Course of action if its my cpu:

replacing my cpu (3700x) with a next gen 5600x with my old motherboard (b450 tomahawk)
but i dont want to just keep buying components blindly to fix it

Course of action if its my gpu:
cry

Main question:
How can I test if my cpu is the problem without replacing it with another ryzen as I dont have access to another one rn?
Reset CMOS...important after BIOS update and especially important if you've never done it. Run with bios settings in defaults to troubleshoot the problem.

When you moved the system drive from old motherboard to new motherboard did you re-install the OS? If not, do a clean install of OS.

Be sure to install AMD chipset drivers from the AMD web site. Install only the LAN drivers and audio drivers from the motherboard mfr, nothing else.

How are you so certain it's not the GPU?

If your motherboard has the setting force PCIe to Gen 3, or even Gen 2.

Sep 20, 2021
Reset CMOS...important after BIOS update and especially important if you've never done it. Run with bios settings in defaults to troubleshoot the problem.

When you moved the system drive from old motherboard to new motherboard did you re-install the OS? If not, do a clean install of OS.

Be sure to install AMD chipset drivers from the AMD web site. Install only the LAN drivers and audio drivers from the motherboard mfr, nothing else.

How are you so certain it's not the GPU?

If your motherboard has the setting force PCIe to Gen 3, or even Gen 2.
I will do a clean install of windows in the new motherboard, but why would it be the gpu if its working in the pcie 2.0 4x?

I did reset the CMOS but maybe i didnt do it when i needed... can you tell me how i should do the things you suggested in order? I also installed the AMD chipset drivers when i reinstalled in the tomahawk, but i didnt do that again for the new mb.

I also went in the bios and tried any possible combination between gen 1 to 3 of pci e in the 3.0 port and also different combinations of lane structures (8x8, 8x4x4 etc)

I'd also consider removing (uninstalling) the GPU's drivers and cleaning up with DDU...display driver uninstaller. Then try just using it with the default Windows drivers for a while before re-installing the Nvidia drivers. Not nearly optimized probably won't do everything but just to see if it's stable.

The GPU might not function properly with all x16 lanes, it's good to eliminate it as a potential problem if you can.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 20, 2021

I'd also consider removing (uninstalling) the GPU's drivers and cleaning up with DDU...display driver uninstaller. Then try just using it with the default Windows drivers for a while before re-installing the Nvidia drivers.

The GPU might not function with all x16 lanes, it's good to eliminate it as a potential problem if you can.

So in tomahawk:
  1. Uninstall GPU drivers with DDU and chipset drivers
  2. reset CMOS
  3. Re install chipset drivers on default bios
  4. see if its recognized by the windows driver through the pcie 3.0
  5. install nvidia drivers and see if it works

if not then on new motherboard:

1.reset CMOS
2.reinstall windows with default bios
3.install chipset drivers
4.install nvidia drivers

Another question, how can I rule out my gpu and make sure it works in all 16 lanes?

Another question, how can I rule out my gpu and make sure it works in all 16 lanes?
That's the process...

Eliminating the GPU is kind of tough if you don't have another one to put in and test out. But GPU's have far higher mortality rates than CPU's, so on principal I'd suspect it first. I'd also have suspected the motherboard too but it's doing the same thing in two different ones if I understand right.

Hopefully, though, getting on latest BIOS, reset CMOS and cleaned up GPU drivers will fix it.

Sep 20, 2021
That's the process...

Eliminating the GPU is kind of tough if you don't have another one to put in and test out. But GPU's have far higher mortality rates than CPU's, so on principal I'd suspect it first. I'd also have suspected the motherboard too but it's doing the same thing in two different ones if I understand right.

Hopefully, though, getting on latest BIOS, reset CMOS and cleaned up GPU drivers will fix it.

Can I rule out my gpu by installing it in a Pcie 2.0 16x port of a low end pc i can have access to?

Also if i can use my gpu to play in the x4 pcie 2 port would that mean that is a fixable issue in the gpu if its the gpu at all? because its stable and i can play at arounc 30 to 40% of the performance i used to get in the 3.0 16x and it works flawless

Can I rule out my gpu by installing it in a Pcie 2.0 16x port of a low end pc i can have access to?
That would go a long way but it would be better still if you get similar failures using another GPU in the GPU slot of these boards with the CPU you have.

ALSO...what's your PSU and how confident in it are you? With a high-bandwidth connection the GPU's going to work harder and will draw more power so if the PSU or it's connections are weak it will be unreliable.

Sep 20, 2021
That would go a long way but it would be better still if you get similar failures using another GPU in the GPU slot of these boards with the CPU you have.

ALSO...what's your PSU and how confident in it are you? With a high-bandwidth connection the GPU's going to work harder and will draw more power so if the PSU or it's connections are weak it will be unreliable.

Cooler master v3 elite 600w it was new and I started using it the 1st of jan 2021.

Would a very low end gpu work for testing the 3.0 16x on my cpu?

I'm thinking test my 1080 ti on the low end pc, and test my cpu with a low end gpu before doing the uninstalling and installing that we talked about previously, would you recommend?

Sep 20, 2021
So long as it uses all 16 lanes.

You said you had the problems even when forcing PCIe to gen2 on your current system definitely test it on that.

unknown.png

This is my 1080ti in my sisters pc, as you can see it runs and its detected without any problems, no error code...

When I tried to use a 730gt in the 3.0 port on my tomahawk it started restarting the same way and it would give me the blue error screen

nvlddmkm.jpg

So,

• It's not my mobo cause it does the same thing in both the tomahawk and the asus new one.
  • It's not ram cause I've been using it through out all this time and they run perfectly.
  • It's not my gpu cause it runs without errors in my sisters pcie 2.0 16x port.
  • It's not my storage as I'm using it rn with my 1080 ti in the x4 pcie 2 slot.
  • It all points to the cpu which is running flawlessly other than not being able to deal with the load of the pcie 3.0 with my 1080ti.
  • It's not my PSU as the 730gt does not use any power from the PSU directly.
In fact the restarts and crashes were caused by the gpu itself because the CPU and GPU werent able to communicate and the system was trying to force the os to run through the nvidia driver...

Is there any way to fix this without replacing the cpu? are there motherboards with chipsets powerful enough to handle a pcie 2.0 8x? which would be more than enough to get all the juice out of the 1080 ti?...

I'm thinking about changing to a 5600x... does the fact these ryzens dont come with integrated graphics could possibly influence in any way this situation or avoid this issue from happening in the future?

I really dont understand how can all of my components work and run great but not together??

Also what exactly is wrong with my cpu if it doesnt overheat or crashes and its stable even if I overclock it to 4.2 but can't display graphics...

unknown.png

This is my 1080ti in my sisters pc, as you can see it runs and its detected without any problems, no error code...

When I tried to use a 730gt in the 3.0 port on my tomahawk it started restarting the same way and it would give me the blue error screen

nvlddmkm.jpg

So,

• It's not my mobo cause it does the same thing in both the tomahawk and the asus new one.
  • It's not ram cause I've been using it through out all this time and they run perfectly.
  • It's not my gpu cause it runs without errors in my sisters pcie 2.0 16x port.
  • It's not my storage as I'm using it rn with my 1080 ti in the x4 pcie 2 slot.
  • It all points to the cpu which is running flawlessly other than not being able to deal with the load of the pcie 3.0 with my 1080ti.
  • It's not my PSU as the 730gt does not use any power from the PSU directly.
In fact the restarts and crashes were caused by the gpu itself because the CPU and GPU werent able to communicate and the system was trying to force the os to run through the nvidia driver...

Is there any way to fix this without replacing the cpu? are there motherboards with chipsets powerful enough to handle a pcie 2.0 8x? which would be more than enough to get all the juice out of the 1080 ti?...

I'm thinking about changing to a 5600x... does the fact these ryzens dont come with integrated graphics could possibly influence in any way this situation or avoid this issue from happening in the future?

I really dont understand how can all of my components work and run great but not together??

Also what exactly is wrong with my cpu if it doesnt overheat or crashes and its stable even if I overclock it to 4.2 but can't display graphics...
OK..

Have you completely uninstalled the graphics drivers and reinstalled them? Do it with DDU...Display Driver Uninstaller.