Question 3700x started to black screen/sound freeze crash constantly.

xyawux

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
Hello, i have started to have problem with my CPU recently, it only started happening this month.
At first it was rare, but now it happens very often.
e5a508075d09ac110be4b23df8620ecc.png

It's always the same error in event vwr, i was running on undervolt, i ran stock again, ran defaults, bios updated, windows 1909, ryzen power plans, low current mode/typical, disabling amd cool n quiet.
It still keeps happening.

My system
3700x
B450 MAX tomahawk
Amd R9 fury
Ripjaws V 2x8 3200 cl16
Adata sx8200 nvme and 1tb WD blue from 2013
This is frankenstein pc with some parts from my old PC, but when i bought the previous one i made sure that my PSU is good enough for the fury
It's XFX TS 650 W Gold, i'm pretty sure its sufficient enough, i've re checked the reviews and it had very good efficiency.

Is my ryzen just faulty <Mod Edit>? I don't know how this coulda started happening so often recently out of the blue

I also ran furmark+p95, i'm pretty sure thats the biggest load i could possible get on my system... didn't crash. The crashes happen 90% in BF v and even when i play on like locked 100 fps, so i'm pretty sure my psu is barely used

Last edited by a moderator:

xyawux

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
it was bought in 2016, they recommended even like 700w, bit its always inflated. i calculated power draw and i just tested furmark plus p95 at the same time to rule out the psu since this is the xlosest to 100% component usage i could get no game out there yet that could use 100% of my ryzen and fury... Also this is power eff test of my psu https://www.eteknix.com/xfx-ts650-650w-non-modular-power-supply-review/5/?amp=1 seems pretty good

Jul 13, 2020
I experienced some similar things with my B450 Tomahawk (not the MAX one) and Ryzen 2700X, sometimes it would get stuck at boot, but the problem was not the CPU itself, but was happening when I connected a USB Hard Drive into the USB3.2 Gen 2 Port. The way I fixed the issue was to roll back to the very first BIOS release. If you have any drives connected to this port it could be causing you issues?

My other question is, why do you think it is the CPU and not the GPU or other components? Do you have a previous generation Ryzen to rule that out?

xyawux

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
no i only have nvme disk and hdd on sata, this is my first ryzen and i sold my previous cpu i5 6600k, im ruling the gpu out because of the same windows event error on every crash, ive unfortunaly had a lot of bad experiences with the gpus and i know its usually startinv to get display driver error instead of kernel processor power, im not getting any display tdrs or anything of that nature