[SOLVED] 3700X stock cooler good enough

Solution
Even a basic custom loop will cost you hundreds of dollars. Most GOOD radiators will run 50 to 120 bucks alone. And fittings, pumps and additional fans, are not cheap either.
My recommendation would be that you get something better than the stock cooler. It's not very capable, despite some opinions to the contrary, and we've seen a lot of people run into boost limitations using the stock cooler due to exceeding thermal boundaries. Even something basic but capable like the Gammaxx 400 and anything beyond that should be fine unless you are planning to overclock in which case I'd recommend getting a good 140mm air cooler or at least a 240mm AIO of some flavor.

Not to mention that a more capable cooler will also likely be considerably quieter.

Reactions: MeanMachine41

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
My recommendation would be that you get something better than the stock cooler. It's not very capable, despite some opinions to the contrary, and we've seen a lot of people run into boost limitations using the stock cooler due to exceeding thermal boundaries. Even something basic but capable like the Gammaxx 400 and anything beyond that should be fine unless you are planning to overclock in which case I'd recommend getting a good 140mm air cooler or at least a 240mm AIO of some flavor.

Not to mention that a more capable cooler will also likely be considerably quieter.
I don't plan on overclocking with the stock cooler and funny that you say to get a GAMMAXX 400 cuz I have one beside me cooling my FX-8350. I also don't plan on using the boost feature with the stock cooler. My mom says I should get a corsair AIO cuz it would look nice but I think that im gonna get a beefy noctua cooler will this one do the job and allow for some overclocking down the line? https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16835608040?Description=cooler&cm_re=cooler-_-35-608-040-_-Product

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
FWIW, I was in the same position. I only used the packaged overclocking utilities on the MB, and what was recommended was the following:

Scythe Mugen 5
Thermalright Macho
Scythe FUMA 2

Just check to make sure your case can accommodate the cooler height.
GL

Reactions: DMAN999

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
For aesthetics you might want to get a Chromax kit for that Noctua cooler:
https://noctua.at/en/noctua-introduces-chromax-line-fans-cables-and-heatsink-covers
Sorry if i made it unclear but it was more my mom who cared how it looked i dont give a frick to be honest as long as I can play GTA V with no stupid FPS drops at 1080p im a happy camper. And if my calculations are right It will clear the case by a few mm and im gonna go to canada computers today with my mom so ill see what I can pick up there

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Gotcha.
That Noctua will work very well on a 3700x.
I have a 4 pipe Arctic 33 eSports (Dual Fan) cooler on my 3700x and it idles around 32 to 34c and maxes out at 61-62c after hours of gaming.
That Noctua is a better cooler than mine so it definitely a good choice.

And I would recommend this G.Skill RAM kit:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc

For whatever reason the Corsair Vengeance RAM doesn't seem to run at it's rated speeds as reliably as G.Skill kits on Ryzen based PCs.
I have seen quite a few posts here where the Corsair Vengeance kits wouldn't run at their rated speed so had to be run at much lower speeds.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Gotcha.
That Noctua will work very well on a 3700x.
I have a 4 pipe Arctic 33 eSports (Dual Fan) cooler on my 3700x and it idles around 32 to 34c and maxes out at 61-62c after hours of gaming.
That Noctua is a better cooler than mine so it definitely a good choice.

And I would recommend this G.Skill RAM kit:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc

For whatever reason the Corsair Vengeance RAM doesn't seem to run at it's rated speeds as reliably as G.Skill kits on Ryzen based PCs.
I have seen quite a few posts here where the Corsair Vengeance kits wouldn't run at their rated speed so had to be run at much lower speeds.
Funny how you suggest that ram because that parts list is kinda old and in my newegg cart i have that set of ram because i noticed it had better cas latency