[SOLVED] 3700x temp on an AIO

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
To be exact, I am using a Deepcool Castle 240 AIO for my Ryzen 3700x.
(in a NZXT H510 case, along with a GeForce 1060)

I'd be so grateful if anyone knowledgeable could tell me whether the temps are okay for such a system.
Below are images of both idle and under load.
Please excuse the image size, as I wanted to fit all the data in one screenshot.
You can zoom in on the image to see the numbers better.

idle:
zayhL8n.jpg

under load (CINEBENCH test)
Sq1RrAA.jpg

Oh, and does the fan speed normally fluctuate up and down at all times for ryzen cpus?
Even when I'm not doing anything on the computer it seems to do this... it doesn't go crazy or anything but, it is noticeable that the fan speed keeps ramping up and down gently.

Solution
What is a PBO? Like the average?
In a previous test I did get 4775...
I think it's because I didn't have the RGB Fusion, Ryzen Master, and Gigabyte System Information Viewer loaded at that time. I also wasn't taking screenshots. In which case everything is fine? :giggle: Thank you so much for you input. Now I can say with confidence that my pc build was a success! yay~
PBO Precision Boost Overdrive https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
It doesn't get enabled by default in BIOS. Kind of automatic OC.
To be exact, I am using a Deepcool Castle 240 AIO for my Ryzen 3700x.
(in a NZXT H510 case, along with a GeForce 1060)

I'd be so grateful if anyone knowledgeable could tell me whether the temps are okay for such a system.
Below are images of both idle and under load.
Please excuse the image size, as I wanted to fit all the data in one screenshot.
You can zoom in on the image to see the numbers better.

idle:
zayhL8n.jpg

under load (CINEBENCH test)
Sq1RrAA.jpg

Oh, and does the fan speed normally fluctuate up and down at all times for ryzen cpus?
Even when I'm not doing anything on the computer it seems to do this... it doesn't go crazy or anything but, it is noticeable that the fan speed keeps ramping up and down gently.
Temps look great but judging by CB r20 scores you didn't set PBO, should have at least 200 points more.
Fan speed reacts to temperature which changes with load so variations are normal

Reactions: RodroX

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Temps look great but judging by CB r20 scores you didn't set PBO, should have at least 200 points more.
Fan speed reacts to temperature which changes with load so variations are normal

I think it's because I didn't have the RGB Fusion, Ryzen Master, and Gigabyte System Information Viewer loaded at that time. I also wasn't taking screenshots. In which case everything is fine? :giggle: Thank you so much for you input. Now I can say with confidence that my pc build was a success! yay~

PBO Precision Boost Overdrive https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Solution

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Oh, i see! Well, I really like having cpus without even the slightest OC, especially within the warranty period. I just hope my CB score wasn't 200 points lower even when taking the PBO out of the equation.

Anyway, thanks so much for your reply. Ever since you gave the temps a thumbs up, I've been happily working on my new pc without worrying about temps.

Oh, i see! Well, I really like having cpus without even the slightest OC, especially within the warranty period. I just hope my CB score wasn't 200 points lower even when taking the PBO out of the equation.

Anyway, thanks so much for your reply. Ever since you gave the temps a thumbs up, I've been happily working on my new pc without worrying about temps.
That "OC" is already calculated in CPU and MB components and is not a classic OC on all cores when you go over factory set values.
You are not obliged to use it if performance is up to our satisfaction.

Last edited:
Yes, unloading apps can help the CB bench mark a lot. But with PBO fully optimized you should be able to get scores around 5000-5010 (even better with some careful tweaking).

By default AMD's boost settings for processor performance assume the motherboard has extremely weak VRM's that can't deliver decent power to the processor. Most motherboard VRM's are actually way over designed for any 3000 processor short of 12 core 3900X's or even 16 core 3950X's so you have a lot of margin to operate within.

PBO basically just opens up the margins for power delivery to let the processor stretch it's legs, so to speak. The real beauty of PBO is the CPU still has full management authority to keep it's temperature and voltage within it's defined safe limits, which is something conventional overclocking ignores.

And lastly: yes, temperature fluctuates but you can set a custom profile for fans that keep them from also ramping up and down as they do. The best one I've found is to set a flat, level speed up to about 65 or 70C. Pick a speed for that which is high but not noticeable, then ramp up from there. Don't let it get annoyingly loud until 85-90C, and no screaming loud before 95C.

The limit really is surface area to draw heat from the tiny CPU cores, not the cooling capacity of that 240mm radiator. So, in a practical sense, you can probably leave the AIO fans at a fixed single speed setting that's just barely below what you can hear, for all processor temps. It just can't cool any faster than it that unless you go sub-ambient.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
First off, I'd like to thank all of you for such detailed replies.

It sure has got me interested in optimizing PBO.
However, I do have one more question. Does PBO void warranty?

I think technically it would. But practically it won't matter. Done correctly, PBO leaves your processor's boost mechanisms working to let it lower clocks and voltages to protect it against dangerous high temperatures that degrade it over time.

The only time I've ever heard of AMD not honoring warranty is when returned with bent or broken I/O pins, something that is quite objectively proveable. It would be extremely expensive to prove, at warranty return, that a processor was overclocked in any manner and that it was the cause of failure.

First off, I'd like to thank all of you for such detailed replies.

It sure has got me interested in optimizing PBO.
PBO is part of official AMD specs and tounted by AMD as important Ryzen feature, no way that could void warranty. It's actually very useful feature that replaces classic OC. It's "Turbo speed" that all modern CPUs have.