[SOLVED] 3700X vs 10600k for 3D Modeling

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,
I saw that intel's 10600k has a higher clock speed than the 3700x. I had also heard that a higher clock speed means that a CPU is better at 3D modeling.
Does this mean that the 10600k is better at 3D modeling than the 3700x?
Also, which one of them would be better for rendering videos, if the editing software I use doesn't support hardware acceleration?
Thanks

Solution
The CPU is important, but you have to consider Motherboard, CPU cooling, RAM and fast Storage.

Perhaps another way to see it is how much do I need to build a decent AMD system vs a decent Intel system.

Heres what the system requirements looks like today: https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/

Keep in mind it will also depend on how complex your models are, is imposible for people here to quantify that.

If you ask me, Im guessing any of those 3 CPUs will be fine, i5 10600K, i7 10700K, R7 3700X.

From the requirement page it will seem (I may be wrong) that higher core counts and probably big L3 cache are more important than pure fast clocks.

Makaveli

Splendid
Hello,
I saw that intel's 10600k has a higher clock speed than the 3700x. I had also heard that a higher clock speed means that a CPU is better at 3D modeling.
Does this mean that the 10600k is better at 3D modeling than the 3700x?
Also, which one of them would be better for rendering videos, if the editing software I use doesn't support hardware acceleration?
Thanks

What 3d Modeling software are you using?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's all in the software. For Blender, the 3700x is a good deal faster, Blender scales well with cores. But unless that's the only software you use, I'd not throw out Intel just yet. As you say, clock speeds count, and some software like Maya is very single thread heavy, Intel dominates there.

So it's not so much which is the better cpu, it's a lot more of which cpu the software can make better use of.

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
I know that the 3700x is better at rendering, but I will using a GPU to render. So will the 3700x will perform better than the 10600k for 3D modelling or creating scenes instead of rendering them as well?
How much does clock speed affect the speed you can model? I am not a very fast 3D modeler, so will there be a big difference in how fast the computer can process the changes? I mean, will using a 3700x instead of a 10600k to do 3d modelling comparatively make the computer take a long time to process the changes I make to the model?

Last edited:

Makaveli

Splendid
I know that the 3700x is better at rendering, but I will using a GPU to render. So will the 3700x will perform better than the 10600k for 3D modelling or creating scenes instead of rendering them as well?
How much does clock speed affect the speed you can model? I am not a very fast 3D modeler, so will there be a big difference in how fast the computer can process the changes? I mean, will using a 3700x instead of a 10600k to do 3d modelling comparatively make the computer take a long time to process the changes I make to the model?

If the 3d Modeling and scene creation are CPU bound then the 3700X will be faster as it has more cores. But for your specific workload you won't know until it tested.

You may have to email the vendor of the software you are using and give them your use case to see what they say.

The CPU is important, but you have to consider Motherboard, CPU cooling, RAM and fast Storage.

Perhaps another way to see it is how much do I need to build a decent AMD system vs a decent Intel system.

Heres what the system requirements looks like today: https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/

Keep in mind it will also depend on how complex your models are, is imposible for people here to quantify that.

If you ask me, Im guessing any of those 3 CPUs will be fine, i5 10600K, i7 10700K, R7 3700X.

From the requirement page it will seem (I may be wrong) that higher core counts and probably big L3 cache are more important than pure fast clocks.

Solution