Question 3700x vs 3600xt

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Im building my new pc on a b550 msi gaming and air it with a gtx 1660 I picked up from offer up for 160 (gpu is going to hold me over until the 3080 is in stock) my question is, is the 3700x worth it over the 3600xt i want something that will handle the 3080 well and it last me like 5 years or something close to that. Also I plan to stream and edit on this compter.

ben001

Distinguished
Im building my new pc on a b550 msi gaming and air it with a gtx 1660 I picked up from offer up for 160 (gpu is going to hold me over until the 3080 is in stock) my question is, is the 3700x worth it over the 3600xt i want something that will handle the 3080 well and it last me like 5 years or something close to that. Also, I plan to stream and edit on this computer.
Any 6 core (physical cores) processor will have the ability to perform fine with RTX 3080, though few extra cores might be helpful for editing. If you're looking for a 5-years of a plan, I would suggest going with the newer generation models, as this time AMD has improved their single-core performance which surprisingly excels Intel chips.

what resolution you're planning to run?.

Last edited:

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Any 6 core (physical cores) processor will have the ability to perform fine with RTX 3080, though few extra cores might be helpful for editing. If you're looking for a 5-years of a plan, I would suggest going with the newer generation models, as this time AMD has improved their single-core performance which surprisingly excels Intel chips.

what resolution you're planning to run?.
1080p for now and when I get a 3080 sometime next year 1440p

ben001

Distinguished
I would not pick any of the 6 core 6 thread i5’s.
Apparently, manufacturers have stopped supplying 6 core 6 thread processors i5's as they are getting outdated. If you visit retails stores, 6 core (physical cores) 12 thread (logical cores) what they will offer (at present scenario) something I forgot to mention above.

Clearly, Ryzen 5000 series would be a sensible choice which is why I suggested going with the lastest generation models above. However, 10th Intel has dropped their prices which seems a reasonable alternative as well. :)

Apparently, manufacturers have stopped supplying 6 core 6 thread processors i5's as they are getting outdated. If you visit retails stores, 6 core (physical cores) 12 thread (logical cores) what they will offer (at present scenario) something I forgot to mention above.

Clearly, Ryzen 5000 series would be a sensible choice which is why I suggested going with the lastest generation models above. However, 10th Intel has dropped their prices which seems a reasonable alternative as well. :)
I would not be surprised if they have stopped producing them. I have seen them going on sale at what may look attractive prices. I just wanted to point out best to ignore them.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I would not be surprised if they have stopped producing them. I have seen them going on sale at what may look attractive prices. I just wanted to point out best to ignore them.
Im just worried about getting the 3600xt and missing out out the newer date and cores and increased speed and longevity of the 3700x

ben001

Distinguished
To your question of this thread, 3700x is arguably a better choice among both. Like it has been said, anything more than 6-core is beneficial for all of your mentioned tasks.

Now value-wise, the newer the model the more re-sell value you will be offered in future. :)

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
To your question of this thread, 3700x is arguably a better choice among both. Like it has been said, anything more than 6-core is beneficial for all of your mentioned tasks.

Now value-wise, the newer the model the more re-sell value you will be offered in future. :)
i thought about that but the only problem is getting a chip its like the 3080 hands off until sometime next year. and I need it now