[SOLVED] 3700x vs 9700k for rtx 2070super

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaueV

Honorable
Jul 12, 2014
Hello good people,

I'm building a new computer, and with the new ryzen launch, choosing a cpu is being a nightmare.
I've seen dozens of benchmarks, but since all of them use a 2080ti, it's hard to tell how they will behave paired up with a 2070 super.
All these benchmarks show the i7 performing with much higher fps (with a few exceptions), but ryzen still have room to improve with driver updates, and if games ever decide to take advantage of multiple threads, than the performance would also increase.
I don't see a reason to consider PCIe 4.0 as an advantage unless future GPUs take advantage of it.

Again, the i7 appears to be the winner (with 2080ti benchmarks ate least), but I fear I could be settling for an outdated CPU, and in the near future the 3700x start to outperform the 9700k

Things to consider:
There is a sale going on right now and buying an i7-9700k + ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA will go for roughly the same as an r7-3700x + Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE.
The only taxing activity I'll do on it will be gaming. I don't do any video or photo editing, streaming or 3d modeling/rendering.
I don't plan on overclocking. At least not right now. Maybe in the future, if I decide to put some time into learning how to do it.
Will be using a 1440p 144Hz monitor

Other components:

GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB AORUS
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 (or the NEO variant, if I go with Ryzen)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB (bought)
PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold
Case: NZXT - H500 (bought)
Monitor: LG - 32GK650F-B (bought)
Cooling: Wraith Prism for AMD | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 for Intel

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Thanks for the reply, that was my line of thought until I saw today's sale.

Just to give a little more context, the CPU+Mobo combo for AMD would go for CAD$724+taxes, and on intel it would be CAD$678+ taxes
If I take cooling in consideration, then intel would be a little more expensive, but assuming the neo memory kits will be more expensive than the non-neo, amd could be more expensive.

My point is, the pricing is really close. Would you still go with AMD even if it cost a bit more, or the same as intel?
If you plan on only for gaming, intel has some edge but for overall performance i would go for ryzen here.

CaueV

Honorable
Jul 12, 2014
At 1440p with a 2070 super you will see no difference between ryzen and intel.

Save money and buy amd.

Just to give a little more context, the CPU+Mobo combo for AMD would go for CAD$724+taxes, and on intel it would be CAD$678+ taxes
If I take cooling in consideration, then intel would be a little more expensive, but assuming the neo memory kits will be more expensive than the non-neo, amd could be more expensive.

My point is, the pricing is really close. Would you still go with AMD even if it cost a bit more, or the same as intel?

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017

If you plan on only for gaming, intel has some edge but for overall performance i would go for ryzen here.

Reactions: CaueV
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.