[SOLVED] 3700X (Zen 2) vs 5600X (Zen 3) for gaming?

Dec 13, 2020
So since I'm building a new PC geared for next gen gaming with Cyberpunk 2077 as the benchmark, I'm kind of confused as to what the actual benefits of Zen 3 provide over Zen 2 and whether those benefits are worth the sacrifice of 2 cores and 4 threads.

The two competing CPUs at the 300 dollar mark are the 3700X and the 5600X, of course one being 8 core 16 thread and the other being 6 core and 12 thread. Since I'm building a system with Cyberpunk 2077 as the benchmark, I'm not sure exactly how these two CPUs compare and whether core/thread count is actually more important than architecture and single core performance. I'm currently on a Kabylake whixh has good single thread performance and while the jump from Kabylake to Zen 3 is a significant jump, in terms of core and thread count it's not that huge.

At least to my layman knowledge I know that the 3700X would probably be better for content creation that relies on CPU usage, but I've also seen videos of the 5600X performing just as well with 2077 even though it is lacking in the extra bells and whistles. What is it about the Zen 3 architecture that makes the 5600X so good, and with that why not just get the 3600X instead of the 3700X?

With all the CPU's on the market things are kind of confusing.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
So since I'm building a new PC geared for next gen gaming with Cyberpunk 2077 as the benchmark, I'm kind of confused as to what the actual benefits of Zen 3 provide over Zen 2 and whether those benefits are worth the sacrifice of 2 cores and 4 threads.

The two competing CPUs at the 300 dollar mark are the 3700X and the 5600X, of course one being 8 core 16 thread and the other being 6 core and 12 thread. Since I'm building a system with Cyberpunk 2077 as the benchmark, I'm not sure exactly how these two CPUs compare and whether core/thread count is actually more important than architecture and single core performance. I'm currently on a Kabylake whixh has good single thread performance and while the jump from Kabylake to Zen 3 is a...

The two competing CPUs at the 300 dollar mark are the 3700X and the 5600X, of course one being 8 core 16 thread and the other being 6 core and 12 thread. Since I'm building a system with Cyberpunk 2077 as the benchmark, I'm not sure exactly how these two CPUs compare and whether core/thread count is actually more important than architecture and single core performance. I'm currently on a Kabylake whixh has good single thread performance and while the jump from Kabylake to Zen 3 is a significant jump, in terms of core and thread count it's not that huge.

At least to my layman knowledge I know that the 3700X would probably be better for content creation that relies on CPU usage, but I've also seen videos of the 5600X performing just as well with 2077 even though it is lacking in the extra bells and whistles. What is it about the Zen 3 architecture that makes the 5600X so good, and with that why not just get the 3600X instead of the 3700X?

With all the CPU's on the market things are kind of confusing.
5600X is better for gaming.

3600X is Zen 2.
3700X also Zen 2. IPC gains and clock rates are higher on Zen 3, hence the better gaming and single core performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Dec 13, 2020
Thanks. From a technical point of view though, what is it about the 5600X that provides that performance? 6/12 is clearly enough and 8/16 is unnecesary, at least when it comes to comparing Zen 2 to Zen 3?

Thanks. From a technical point of view though, what is it about the 5600X that provides that performance? 6/12 is clearly enough and 8/16 is unnecesary, at least when it comes to comparing Zen 2 to Zen 3?
Games don't use all 6 cores or all 8 cores. 5600x has higher IPC and clock rate than 3700x. ie one core of the 5600x> one core of the 3700X. So even in 6core vs 6core comparison, the 5600x should be better theoretically. But since 3700 has 2 extra cores, it performs better in multi core tasks that can utilise those extra cores

Dec 13, 2020
Games don't use all 6 cores or all 8 cores. 5600x has higher IPC and clock rate than 3700x. ie one core of the 5600x> one core of the 3700X. So even in 6core vs 6core comparison, the 5600x should be better theoretically. But since 3700 has 2 extra cores, it performs better in multi core tasks that can utilise those extra cores
I see. The strange thing is that I've seen similar CPU usage in benchmark tests with CP2077 where my i7 7700K and the 5600x both hover around the 70% usage level. Obviously there are numerous factors, one being that mine is an older CPU still with fast single core performance rendering lower quality assets (1660Ti) than the 5600x (RTX 3070) benchmark, as well as the fact that Zen 3 isn't completely optimised in that particular game.

I know it's a dumb comparison, but I was surprised to see a similar average, even though I'm sure the 5600x doesn't spike to 99% usage like the Kabylake does. It's just when you say that games don't use all 6 cores, then why do games seem to be demanding CPUs with higher core count and if so then is there actually benefits to having more than 4 cores other than being newer and superior architecture?

Dumb question again, I know.

I see. The strange thing is that I've seen similar CPU usage in benchmark tests with CP2077 where my i7 7700K and the 5600x both hover around the 70% usage level. Obviously there are numerous factors, one being that mine is an older CPU still with fast single core performance rendering lower quality assets (1660Ti) than the 5600x (RTX 3070) benchmark, as well as the fact that Zen 3 isn't completely optimised in that particular game.

I know it's a dumb comparison, but I was surprised to see a similar average, even though I'm sure the 5600x doesn't spike to 99% usage like the Kabylake does. It's just when you say that games don't use all 6 cores, then why do games seem to be demanding CPUs with higher core count and if so then is there actually benefits to having more than 4 cores other than being newer and superior architecture?

Dumb question again, I know.
I'm not technically qualified to say this. But the usage is same I THINK because cp is using the same amount of physical cores. The 5600x just has more power in each of those cores vs the 7700K. So you get higher fps with same usage.

Yes there is a benefit, especially for productivity and in the long run. But at this very moment, 4c/8t is fine. It won't be a couple years down the line maybe