[SOLVED] 370W for a 3080, not enough for 1905 Mhz in Metro Exodus ?!?

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is a GPU back braking game. At stock settings, the 3080 Suprim X LHR boosts to only 1815-1845 Mhz, in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, on a 4K 144 Hz monitor. Stock in game power draw: 370-380W. So, far from the advertised 1905 Mhz.

With the power slider maxed out, the card gets to 1905 Mhz, without tapping the clock slider. Power draw is 420-440W, in this case.

In any other game, at stock settings, the card is able to reach 1905-1920 Mhz and hover around that, as advertised.

In all games, the GPU runs at 98-100%. So, why this clock differences? Aren't 370-380W enough for 1905 Mhz?

Current vBios: 94.02.71.40.69. Driver: 472.12.
In game temperature: 68-70 C.
Maximum overclock in Metro Exodus: 1950Mhz. Add 15Mhz more, and it crashes. Worst silicone lottery ever?

Case: Lian Li PC-O11DW Dynamic + 6 * 120 mm intake fans
Corsair RM850X 80 Gold + UPS CyberPower 1500VA 900W
Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula + Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3466 Mhz C16, clocked @3600 Mhz + SSD M2 1TB Corsair Force MP600 PCIE4
Stock 5900X + Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 mm
Stock RTX 3080 Suprim X LHR
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV273KPbmiipprzx 4K / 144 Hz / runs with 2 DP cables.
+Air con., in a ventilated room

Cheers,

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Not all games are designed the same way and not all games will tax the GPU the same way either. That being said, you should mention the titles that you've taxed the system with...apart from Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. It'd also help if you included where you sourced the game installers from. As a side note, what are the specs to your build? Include the make and model of your PSU.

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Not all games are designed the same way and not all games will tax the GPU the same way either. That being said, you should mention the titles that you've taxed the system with...apart from Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. It'd also help if you included where you sourced the game installers from. As a side note, what are the specs to your build? Include the make and model of your PSU.
Off course. But, MSI advertises a 1905 Mhz boost clock and this should be available for all titles prior to the card's release, atleast.

Other games tested: Warzone, Blackops III, Fortnite, Battlefield V, all of which allow the advertised 1905 Mhz clock, on Afterburner default settings. So, Steam, Epic Games and Battle.net.

Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula + Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3466 Mhz C16, clocked @3600 Mhz + SSD M2 1TB Corsair Force MP600 PCIE4

MSI support advised to send the card for servicing, but, I'm not sure if something is wrong with it, as Metro Exodus is definitely hard on hardware, but, it's disappointing that their top 3080 card isn't able to maintain the advertised clock, at stock. I've sold my Amp Holo 3080 FHR to get this one. That also, struggled with Metro, averaging 1695- 1725 Mhz, at stock, instead of 1770 Mhz.

It's also worth mentioning that reviews show this card reaching 2145 Mhz, in Unigine Heaven, but, mine, barely tops 2040 Mhz ( When overclocked. Plus, the power slider doesn't allow the card to maintain 430-440W, like in Metro. It stays within 370-380 W, only spiking towards 400W).

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-SUPRIM-X-10G-LHR/Specification
Oh wow, they really do advertise that. Unfortunately, it's simply not sustainable everywhere due to the Gpu Boost algorithm introduced with the 10 series.
It makes its own adjustments based on the gpu's parameters - even to the point of ignoring custom settings, if need be.
The hotter the core runs, the lower the sustained boost will be.
The more frequently it runs into the board power limit - also worse sustained boost.
Overclocking these cards increases thermals and frequency of running into power limit - just not worth doing.[You might not OC, but the card does have an OC from the factory.]

Thermals appear to be good, but the card likely is constantly smashing against the board power limit in that game.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/234853/msi-rtx3080-10240-201018
Yep, 370w, with a max adjustable of 430w.

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-SUPRIM-X-10G-LHR/Specification
Oh wow, they really do advertise that. Unfortunately, it's simply not sustainable everywhere due to the Gpu Boost algorithm introduced with the 10 series.
It makes its own adjustments based on the gpu's parameters - even to the point of ignoring custom settings, if need be.
The hotter the core runs, the lower the sustained boost will be.
The more frequently it runs into the board power limit - also worse sustained boost.
Overclocking these cards increases thermals and frequency of running into power limit - just not worth doing.[You might not OC, but the card does have an OC from the factory.]

Thermals appear to be good, but the card likely is constantly smashing against the board power limit in that game.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/234853/msi-rtx3080-10240-201018
Yep, 370w, with a max adjustable of 430w.
Interesting fact, regarding the GPU Boost Algorithm. I have another gaming PC, with a 2080 TI Gaming X Trio. No matter what game I'm playing, the clock stays FLAT at 1905 Mhz, with stock settings, at 73C. It's like the clock is pinned. Overclocks stay pinned, as well. Advertised boost clock is 1755 Mhz. In Metro Exodus, I can easily overclock it above 2.40 Ghz(didn't test the max OC on it). I love this card.
So, how is it possible that my 2080 Ti is able to be such a brick wall of a card, when it comes to stable clock speed, and the Suprim X can't even manage to keep it's advertised clock in a demanding title? Not to mention that the Suprim X is MSI's highest tier, above the Gaming X and the Ventus.

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
If a card isn't boosting further, it will report a reason why. You can use GPU-z or HWiNFO to get this reason.
Afterburner's graph shows the power limit being hit all the time. It's the same as with GPU-Z. Still, MSI sells this as being able to hit 1905 Mhz on stock. If I max the power, it can hit 1905 Mhz. Again, I'm referring to Metro Exodus, strictly. But, this means overclocking and the MSI rep. told me that MSI doesn't recommend OC-ing, as it will "affect" the card ( he didn't mention if, in a good, or a bad way ). Moving the power slider is OC-ing? It seems that it does. Ironically, the card was shipped with a leaflet saying "happy overclocking". So, I want to know if my card is underperforming, regarding to stock settings. If I should send it to a servicing facility, or not.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 'effects' that the Msi rep seemed to be so clueless about are the higher temperatures and more frequent power limit triggers I mentioned earlier.

Moving the power slider is not OC'ing. It's telling the gpu it can use more power for higher boost bins as needed, but that can be counteracted by higher operating temperatures.
Even if you didn't raise the power limit slider, it would exceed the default and go beyond anyway, because it's worse with power draw than your old 2080Ti was.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is a GPU back braking game. At stock settings, the 3080 Suprim X LHR boosts to only 1815-1845 Mhz, in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, on a 4K 144 Hz monitor. Stock in game power draw: 370-380W. So, far from the advertised 1905 Mhz.

With the power slider maxed out, the card gets to 1905 Mhz, without tapping the clock slider. Power draw is 420-440W, in this case.

In any other game, at stock settings, the card is able to reach 1905-1920 Mhz and hover around that, as advertised.

In all games, the GPU runs at 98-100%. So, why this clock differences? Aren't 370-380W enough for 1905 Mhz?

Current vBios: 94.02.71.40.69. Driver: 472.12.
In game temperature: 68-70 C.
Maximum overclock in Metro Exodus: 1950Mhz. Add 15Mhz more, and it crashes. Worst silicone lottery ever?

Cheers,

MSI did somehow wrong at advertise that the way they did.

On the other hand boost clocks are dynamic and probably the card/drivers are trying keep things "safe", and with the RTX 3000 series, you want to have all the safety protocols in check.

Those are like 65MHz difference in avg. I do not think your missing a lof performance (in FPS) because of that.

I can understand your point.

They do have this legend at the bottom of the page:

‘Boost Clock Frequency’ is the maximum frequency achievable on the GPU running a bursty workload. Boost clock achievability, frequency, and sustainability will vary based on several factors, including but not limited to: thermal conditions and variation in applications and workloads

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
The 'effects' that the Msi rep seemed to be so clueless about are the higher temperatures and more frequent power limit triggers I mentioned earlier.

Moving the power slider is not OC'ing. It's telling the gpu it can use more power for higher boost bins as needed, but that can be counteracted by higher operating temperatures.
Even if you didn't raise the power limit slider, it would exceed the default and go beyond anyway, because it's worse with power draw than your old 2080Ti was.
Indeed. MSI's rep. Concerns with his knowledge. I was expecting a better prepaired person. But, he confirmed that anything besides stock, is OCing, including power, temps and voltage restraints. Not to mention, clocks and mem. Speeds. I had a similar experience with Zotac. They would not explain why the power slider didn't do anything. So I sold it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, CS support fail. That should've been one of the easier concerns to answer, and they couldn't give a concrete answer.

That card's advertised boost is too aggressive though. When I look up a few other 3080s for example, I find something like this:
Zotac AMP Holo: 1440/1770
Zotac AMP Extreme Holo: 1440/1800
Asus Strix Gaming: 1440/1710
Asus Strix Gaming OC: 1440/1905
Msi Suprim: 1440/1785
Msi Suprim X: 1440/1905
Those cards with higher game clocks are going to be difficult or nigh impossible to sustain in every game. I figure they need too much power to do that; some of them pull upwards of 450w+ at times...

Reactions: TeioDra and RodroX

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Wow, CS support fail. That should've been one of the easier concerns to answer, and they couldn't give a concrete answer.

That card's advertised boost is too aggressive though. When I look up a few other 3080s for example, I find something like this:
Zotac AMP Holo: 1440/1770
Zotac AMP Extreme Holo: 1440/1800
Asus Strix Gaming: 1440/1710
Asus Strix Gaming OC: 1440/1905
Msi Suprim: 1440/1785
Msi Suprim X: 1440/1905
Those cards with higher game clocks are going to be difficult or nigh impossible to sustain in every game. I figure they need too much power to do that; some of them pull upwards of 450w+ at times...
Hoped that 1905 would be possible with MSI, as my 2080 ti g x trio is always on 1905 mhz, at stock. Well over it's advertised 1755 mhz boost clock. Really impressed with MSI on the 2080 ti. Still, in reviews, the suprim x stays at 1995 in Heaven. Mine sits at 1920(stock)-1935(power slider). Something is wrong with my card. I can't see this otherwise. And Metro Exodus is a really good gpu test.

Last edited:
Hoped that 1905 would be possible with MSI, as my 2080 ti g x trio is always on 1905 mhz, at stock. Well over it's advertised 1755 mhz boost clock. Really impressed with MSI on the 2080 ti. Still, in reviews, the suprim x stays at 1995 in Heaven. Mine sits at 1905. Something is wrong with my card. I can't see this otherwise. And Metro Exodus is a really good gpu test.

Care to link some of this reviews where the GPU stay at a fixed 1995MHz during Heaven test/run?, perhaps theres something that we missed.

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
MSI did somehow wrong at advertise that the way they did.

On the other hand boost clocks are dynamic and probably the card/drivers are trying keep things "safe", and with the RTX 3000 series, you want to have all the safety protocols in check.

Those are like 65MHz difference in avg. I do not think your missing a lof performance (in FPS) because of that.

I can understand your point.

They do have this legend at the bottom of the page:

‘Boost Clock Frequency’ is the maximum frequency achievable on the GPU running a bursty workload. Boost clock achievability, frequency, and sustainability will vary based on several factors, including but not limited to: thermal conditions and variation in applications and workloads
Asus and Gigabyte also have 3080's with the same advertised boost, 1905. It might be realistic. I'm curious how the 3080 gaming x trio performs in comparison. If it's 65 mhz below the suprim x, then, it's like my 3080 amp holo. Which would be impossible as the x trio boosts better than the amp holo. So, my suprim x is underperforming. Should check with someone who has one. MSI, for an instance. Asked them if they can check.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x/30.html
I wish they had said what this 'gaming load' was...

Nevermind. I just remembered something. I think that review was before the unstable factory OC shenanigans popped up.
They fixed this in driver updates: the newer drivers toned down the boost tables.
Yeah, that Bitwit video would be out of date too.

Reactions: TeioDra
Solution

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x/30.html
I wish they had said what this 'gaming load' was...

Nevermind. I just remembered something. I think that review was before the unstable factory OC shenanigans popped up.
They fixed this in driver updates: the newer drivers toned down the boost tables.
Yeah, that Bitwit video would be out of date too.
Good point! Forgot about the downclocking in the Nvidia drivers, after the crashes. I think it was round -50 mhz. Bitwit OCed that Suprim X to 2115 Mhz. I can get it to 2040, maybe, 2055, I think, on the default fan curve. So, it makes sense now.
Thank you,

Thank you for the link.

Yes, as Phaaze88 wrote, sadly that video is almost 11 months old. Nvidia turn down the boost clocks on RTX because of drama and gpus getting killed/malfunctioning. Thats probably why yours can't get to 1905/1920 unless you touch the power limits.

In the video, 3~5 FPS at 1080p/1440p where you are probably getting avg of +100 FPS which isn't significative.

Perhaps in your case at 4K it may make a small little difference 1~3 FPS more or less, but then again I don't have any FPS numbers of your particular system/games you play. It would not even be a 5% delta at 60FPS.

I repeat I understand your point and it sucks to not get the advertised speed, believe me I do.

I still remember all the zen 2 drama for 50Hz. I never had this problem with my CPU, it was all a BIOS/AGESA/Chipset drivers maturing thing. Then again Ryzen CPU were not power (wattage) hunger as RTX cards are. The same way as RX 6000 series usually needs lower wattage to deliver the same performance than a RTX counterpart (not considering ray tracing/dlss/fsr of course).

Reactions: TeioDra

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Good point! Forgot about the downclocking in the Nvidia drivers, after the crashes. I think it was round -50 mhz. Bitwit OCed that Suprim X to 2115 Mhz. I can get it to 2040, maybe, 2055, I think, on the default fan curve. So, it makes sense now.
Thank you,
The Suprim X has 4 ceramic caps and two black ones. This should stabilize the card in higher frequencies. Not that the caps were the only issue with the crashes. Still, this card should have been covered against crashes, with these ceramic caps.

TeioDra

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Thank you for the link.

Yes, as Phaaze88 wrote, sadly that video is almost 11 months old. Nvidia turn down the boost clocks on RTX because of drama and gpus getting killed/malfunctioning. Thats probably why yours can't get to 1905/1920 unless you touch the power limits.

In the video, 3~5 FPS at 1080p/1440p where you are probably getting avg of +100 FPS which isn't significative.

Perhaps in your case at 4K it may make a small little difference 1~3 FPS more or less, but then again I don't have any FPS numbers of your particular system/games you play. It would not even be a 5% delta at 60FPS.

I repeat I understand your point and it sucks to not get the advertised speed, believe me I do.

I still remember all the zen 2 drama for 50Hz. I never had this problem with my CPU, it was all a BIOS/AGESA/Chipset drivers maturing thing. Then again Ryzen CPU were not power (wattage) hunger as RTX cards are. The same way as RX 6000 series usually needs lower wattage to deliver the same performance than a RTX counterpart (not considering ray tracing/dlss/fsr of course).
Yeah. It kinda sucks. I sold a 3080 amp holo to get a 3080 suprim x because I hated that the amp holo wasn't able to draw enough power, as advertised. Now, the suprim x isn't boosting as advertised. Atleast, at stock, the suprim x is like the amp holo OCed. Everything is marginal with 3080s, but, still, I prefer the PCB that pulls most out of the GPU.