3770k memory 16gb, 32gb? g.skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Quick question I think. I tried to figure it out from research and FAQ but my head is spinning.

I'm building this for video editing:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Mwave)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.99 @ CompUSA)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.99 @ CompUSA)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($136.99 @ eCost)
Total: $2216.85
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-20 11:24 EDT-0400)

Most of it has been ordered but now I'm questioning the RAM. I was considering adding another 16 GB of RAM.

I could cancel the order if I didn't select the ideal 16 GB earlier or could just add another 16 GB if what I chose is ok.

Could you tell me what flavor/speed of RAM to get? My understanding is to go with something like the G.SKILL Ripjaws and just get the finest/cheapest like you are ordering a beer. :heink:

I don't think the 32 GB would be wasted for video editing.

Thanks.

Solution
The first thing you want is
documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is...

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Found this in a Newegg review of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL :

[Manufacturer Response:
Dear Customer

We are sorry to hear you are having issues. This is a 16GB kit, so it is only guaranteed to operate as a 16GB kit by itself in a single computer. For 32GB, you should purchase the 32GB kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231490&Tpk=F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL

This kit is pre-matched, tested, and guaranteed to operate in a single computer. When purchasing performance DRAM memory, always purchase a single kit of the capacity you need. If mix matching kits, it can cause problems such as what you are experiencing. For any further questions or issues, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: ustech@gskillusa.com
RMA Dept Email: rma@gskillusa.com
G.Skill Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/]

That's suprising for me. I thought you could add more as long as it is the same as what you are already running?

modena1230

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hey not' I have a similar build and amusing the same mobo. I've been doing lots of checking around and was hoping you dont mind if i expand on your question regarding ram?

First off I have always thought that you could always add more sticks of ram at a later time assuming you have the dimm slots for it. Second, based on what i know on ram you might want to get a bit faster ram being that our mobo can handle it. You have DDR3-1333, i have been shopping for DDR3-1600,being that is what our boards can handle.

My question, our mobo say this (below) in regards to ram,should i/we buy 1600 ram for the fastest possible ram or something faster?
DDR3 2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333

The first thing you want is
documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

Ram speed is less important than you might think.
The current Intel cpu's have an excellent integrated ram controller. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram.
The difference in real application performance or FPS between the fastest and slowest ram is on the order of 1-3%.

Synthetic benchmark differences will be impressive, but are largely irrelevant in the real world.

Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing too. In fact they can hurt by impacting the cpu cooler.
Look for a low profile heat spreader, ore even none at all.

Only if you are seeking record level overclocks should you consider faster ram or better latencies.
Read this Anandtech article on memory scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/1

Large amounts of ram with 64 bit enabled apps, like video editing can speed up the process by keeping more data in ram and avoiding hard drive I/O.
Whatever you do, but a kit of the size you want up front. In this case, the max is 32gb in a 4 x 8gb kit.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

Here is one kit to get you started in your research. 1600 is ok too, but a bit more expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231557

Solution

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for all of the information. You beat me to that Anadtech article. I eventually stumbled across that article and based on their conclusion went with the 1600.

They seemed to think there was a significant benefit going from 1333 to 1600 but diminishing quickly after that. They also felt that the frequency was more important than the latency.

I didn't know that about the heatspreaders. I went with what seemed to be rated/like by the most people on Newegg. I ended up getting this:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231490

modena1230, like you, I know I've read that you can always add RAM later you just have to do it the right way. That's why I was surprised to see that G.SKILL's rep. that I quoted above state that only a matched kit is guaranteed.

I figured I would just go ahead and get 32GB now and return the 16GB Newegg just shipped. Sweet. I'm not sure if I'll get a restocking fee if it's not opened.

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
oh yeah, two more things.

Re. the documented compatibility of RAM with the motherboard, I tried to find it on both the G.SKILL website and the ASUS website and couldn't find it. I suppose it's not documented.

Couldn't find it on the QVL list either although I'm not sure I could find it if it was there:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/P8Z77-V-PRO-memory-QVL.pdf

There are no 32GB kits listed but I suppose you could just look for the same 8GB stick in a 16GB kit. I can't bring myself to stare at that list any longer or shuffle through the 50 tabs I have open on my browser.

I'd be interested to see what you are building modena1230 if you don't mind posting it.

Thanks for the help geofelt.

modena1230

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Nottheratboy,

If your going to use 32gb ram you need to buy Win 7 ultimate,home and pro only support up to 16gb!

My build I'm coming from only laptops so i needed everything. I wanted a good gaming rig as well as multi-tasker. If i can convince the wife I'll go 5760x1080. I have some cad software that i'm getting into thus the inquiry into ram,as well as video editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ microcenter)
CPU Cooler: trying to justify this cooler"XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 Universal CPU / Triple Radiator Water Cooling Kit w/ Free Kill Coil!" for 149.99
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Haven't decided but I think i'm going to go with 16gb in 2 sticks, either corsair or G.skill 1600
SDD: OCZ agility 3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: WD caviar green 3TB 3.5" Iternal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ newegg)
Hard Drive: Hitachi deskstar 7K300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ newegg)
Video Card: Havent purchased yet but i want to but the ASUS 670 DCII,i think it'ssuppose to sell for 419.99
Case: NZXT switch 810(white) ($135.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG BD/ DVD burner (burns just dvd's($51.95 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) ($161.99 @ newegg)
Mouse: Roccat Kone (+)
Keyboard: Looking for a mechanical one in around 100.00
Monitor: asus VS247, lcd LED 2ms gtg, has the connections i wanted (159.99 @ newegg)

If my math is right it will come out to be about 2500.
Let me know what you think

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
yeesh, made me nervous for a second! :sweat:

I appreciate you looking out for me but I think I'm ok with 32GB memory and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. From Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

There is a table on there which I can't paste here without screwing up the columns that states physical memory limit for Win 7 Pro 64 bit is 192 GB. The motherboard limits it to 32GB. Isn't that right?

Maybe you need Windows Ultimate for other reasons but I don't think you need it to support 32GB memory.?

I need to spend a little more time looking over your build, not that I'm qualified to comment.

That's a serious CPU cooler. I changed my from the Noctua to a coolermaster EVO or something because someone thought it was overkill unless I was going for "extreme overclocking". Kind of second guessing myself but it was only $34.

What is the cad software for?

modena1230

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hmm, i thought i saw that exact chat before and pro was the same as home in terms of memory spec. Either way i have already purchased ultimate and i got it on sale so i'm with the purchase plus it has Bit locker which is something that I wanted.

I Live in S.A. and it's hot here for about 10 months of the year (in house ambient is often in the high 20 low 30, I also like it hot) so i want something that will keep my cpu cool. When we move back to the states i hope to stay in a warm climate and dont want to purchase 2 coolers. If i dont go water cooling I'll most likely go with the CM 212 Evo. It's a great price and does a good job.

I'm a mechanic by trade and have some ideas for a new engine and have cad software just to see what i can do. Materials and sealling is where development becomes a problem for my idea.

My build is based on gaming and media streaming. With our mobo and other DLNA devices I can use my 3tb HDD as a media library and stream to other TV's in the house, while also playing games or doing other stuff on the comp.

Oh I need speakers!!! you have any ideas i would like to stay under 50.00, I have a good set of headphones. Wife may want to use something other then headphones.

Modena

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
This computer is mainly for my wife as her everyday computer and for video and photo editing. On her last computer (a Dell business computer from a few years ago) I tried to get her to upgrade her speakers and she was not interested. :heink: I finally convinced her to at least get some Dell soundbar thing to attach to the bottom of her monitor. It was better than nothing but generally sucks.

She's always in there listening to itunes or some streaming thing on that one sucky speaker so this time I didn't ask and decided to get her a decent 2.1 system. I bought this:

Logitech Speaker System Z623

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAHYTG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It's significantly over your budget though. I'm no audiophile but my experience with very inexpensive speakers is not good. I bought an older logitech 2.1 system years ago for my computer and I'm happy with it.

Here is a review but I think it is more than you were looking to spend:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-speaker-2.1-channel-subwoofer,2835.html

I bet Tom's or Anandtech will have other options closer to $50.

That cpu cooler sounds like it makes sense in your climate.

Daughter :bounce: is grabbing me so better go.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.