38" ultrawide monitors?

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
I'm on the lookout for a new monitor and a size/format that's caught my eye is 38" ultrawide. Going from the 32" screen I have now to a 34 or 35 inch monitor just sacrifices way too much vertical screen area, so I think 38" is the perfect size for me since they have practically the same height.

BUT... I can only find four 38" monitors on the market right now. All are heavily overpriced and all have particularly unimpressive refresh rates (£800-£1500 and all 60-75hz).

Are we going to start seeing more monitors of this size format any time soon (and with higher refresh rates), or is this too niche to see greater production?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It will take some time, but I do expect there will be more options in the bigger screen department for ultrawides in the near future.

As for right now, the largest you can get is as follows.

up to 34" with IPS and up to 35" without IPS. Seeing as how 1" isn't much of a sacrifice for IPS I will only link you IPS panels.
You can get up to 34" with IPS but no lower than 5ms response times (which is perfectly fine in my opinion) if you go for 1440p.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#W=3400,5500&sort=price&a=21009&p=1&r=344001440

If you want lower than 5ms response times at that size of screen in ultrawide with IPS then you need to go down to 1080p ultrawide for 1ms response with this LG monitor.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LwGj4D/lg-34um69g-b-340-2560x1080-75hz-monitor-34um69g-b

If you want that sizes with IPS, higher resolution and a refresh rate of more than 75hz this is your only option under 1000 pounds.
It's 34" ultrawide 3440 x 1440 IPS with 5ms response times and runs at 100Hz.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vhkwrH/asus-monitor-rogswiftpg348q

to get any better refresh rates and response times with IPS you need to go down in size otherwise, you need to go for non IPS panel or go with a standar 16:9 aspect ratio.

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Yeah, though like I said I just can't justify the loss of so much vertical screen area going from 32 inches to 34/35.

Ideally I want a 40" or 38" Ultrawide 4k screen with 120hz refresh rate. But I imagine I'll be waiting a few more years for that...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Well to put it simply, you're not losing anything vertically image wise, just physical size of the screen, it's not like the image gets cropped or anything unless you increase the scaling. But the purpose of an ultrawide is to increase your horizontal real estate. Especially if you are going up from a lower resolution to a higher one and use smaller scaling. It'll make text, icons and the like smaller but this maximize your ability to view more stuff on screen.

It's up to you whether or not you wanna wait until there are more 38" options so that it gets cheaper, settle for a smaller height and get a more affordable option now, or bite the bullet and invest into the current 38" options.