Question 3800x + 2080 super stuttering

Jan 12, 2020
I have been on a wild ride so far, and am frustrated beyond reason so I'm hoping someone can help.

SUMMARY: (short version, long version down below)
I am experiencing stuttering while playing games, specifically PUBG. Note: I know PUBG is about as optimized as a potato. I'm aware of this, however several other people I know have no issues with less powerful hardware. Just telling me "that's just how PUB is" is not helpful, please don't.

I get great FPS but it will go from 130-150 down to 30-50 and back up in a split second which causes a major stutter. This happens often - let's approximate roughly 30-35 times in 60 seconds.

I saw this thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-ryzen-7-3800x-is-not-doing-well.3515627/ but the solution isn't really clear to me, and there isn't much further discussion after the solution post (which is just to monitor).

SPECS:
AMD 3800x w/ Corsair H115i
EVGA 2080 super XC
Asus Prime x370 Pro - latest bios
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W (super overkill, I know - had it left over from mining back in the day, figured why not)
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
ASUS MG278Q WQHD, 1ms 27-Inch FreeSync Gaming Monitor (also g-sync compatible, 1440)

DETAILS: (long version)
My specs were 1800x cpu and a XFX Radeon RX580 Black Edition. I was playing 1080 low settings and was unhappy with the performance and wanted more FPS. I upgraded to the Radeon RX 5700 reference and flashed the XT bios onto it. Got better fps and it ran faster, but certainly not better - constant crashing, stuttering, etc. Most research pointed towards immature drivers.

Returned it, bought the 2080 super. Ran better, more fps, but constant stuttering. Reformatted Windows clean, same issue. Using latest Nvidia driver 441.87. At this point I'm thinking well <Mod Edit>, if I can't run it with 2080 super what in the world is going on? Consensus led to thinking perhaps CPU was issue. Upgraded that to 3800x (wanted the 3700x but it wasn't available for a bit, so just figured whatever on the extra power draw, might have been a mistake, runs fairly hot). Runs better but still has stuttering issues.

I have tried every combination of graphics settings vs borderless/fs I can think of to no avail. Running in 1080 eliminates the stutter, but I want to run it in 1440 and don't see why I can't. Oh, also playing in borderless because Removed fullscreen. I ran a windows mem test which provided no errors (not sure how comprehensive this is or not, but figured I didn't have much to lose). I've also tried disabling g-sync which helps a little, but doesn't fix the problem entirely.

I've done more stuff, as this has been going on for a week or two now, but can't seem to think of anything else at the moment. Oh, under 100% load (f@h) my cpu temps get up to 87-89c. Playing pub the load is 33% roughly, with temps around 57-58c according to Ryzen Master. My cooler must think this is a sweet spot (set to balanced) because the fans go up and down dramatically each second until it sways one way or the other to stay low or go high.

Thanks for any/everyone that is willing to offer help.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 12, 2020
Sorry about that, I knew inevitably I'd forget something. Drives are as follows:
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW) - boot and where pub is installed
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)