[SOLVED] 3800x Idle temps jumpy

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi,

I installed a 3800x and in windows, the idle temps are around 45-55 Celsius. Sometimes they randomly jump to like 60-69 degrees even though nothing is happening. Windows power plan is on balanced.

In bios, the temperature is around 45-55 but again sometimes randomly jumps to like 60-65 then goes down again.

Is this normal or is something wrong? I am using the stock wraith prism cooler and all settings are stock. There's that high-low button on the cooler itself but I haven't touched it. Currently have this installed in a MSI b550m bazooka.

Thanks

Solution
So with this I wanted to ask one last thing. Is this good for longevity of the CPU?
Temperature is indeed the number one killer of any semiconductor but the CPU's designed to operate like this so I'd say it's adequate for an acceptable service life. By that I mean an operating life that's not only well beyond it's usefulness to you but maybe 20 years or more.

Keep in mind the CPU's rated with a Tjmax of 95c, the maximum operating temp AMD recommends in it's publicly published specifications and the temp where throttles itself hard. But above that there's also a 'thermal trip limit' of 115c and HTC (High Temp Cutout) limit of 115.5C which is a temp where it immediately shuts down to protect itself so there's plenty of...
In bios, the temperature is around 45-55 but again sometimes randomly jumps to like 60-65 then goes down again.
That's perfectly normal for Ryzen. You're seeing temp spikes as the CPU boosts individual cores which is how Ryzen works. Ryzen also reports 'hot spot' temps so what you see is the hottest spot of the moment and there are dozens of sensors on the CPU die to pick from.

Also, Windows is always active in the background so it may seem like nothing's happening but it is. If you sit still, no mouse movement, it will kick of any number of things...like indexing, backup, background file transfers (both from the net, and to other computers on your local network) for updates.

Be sure to install the latest AMD chipset drivers, from AMD's support web site. That will install a Ryzen Balanced power plan for Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
That's perfectly normal for Ryzen. You're seeing temp spikes as the CPU boosts individual cores which is how Ryzen works. Ryzen also reports 'hot spot' temps so what you see is the hottest spot of the moment and there are dozens of sensors on the CPU die to pick from.

Also, Windows is always active in the background so it may seem like nothing's happening but it is. If you sit still, no mouse movement, it will kick of any number of things...like indexing, backup, background file transfers (both from the net, and to other computers on your local network) for updates.

Be sure to install the latest AMD chipset drivers, from AMD's support web site. That will install a Ryzen Balanced power plan for Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.

I just installed the chipset drivers and changed the power plan to Ryzen balanced.

Looking at my temps, if the CPU is like 1% or lower in usage, CPU temps are around 35-50. More on the lower side.

If I am doing something like watching a live stream (or windows is doing something) the temperature usually sits around 50-55 and randomly can jump to like 65-71. These are the kind of spikes you're talking about right? This is all normal?

If I am doing something like watching a live stream (or windows is doing something) the temperature usually sits around 50-55 and randomly can jump to like 65-71. These are the kind of spikes you're talking about right? This is all normal?
Yes...perfectly normal. It may run in to the 80's in sustained workloads if your cooler is stock or otherwise fairly weak, but ideally even under heavy all-core processing loads temps in the mid-upper 70's would be normal with better cooling and desireable to keep it boosting eagerly.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Yes...perfectly normal. It may run in to the 80's in sustained workloads if your cooler is stock or otherwise fairly weak, but ideally even under heavy all-core processing loads temps in the mid-upper 70's would be normal with better cooling and desireable to keep it boosting eagerly.

I've been running some games to try and mimick normal use and see temps under load.

Since I have CPB enabled by default, the CPU jumps up and down like you stated earlier and runs at higher clock speeds (usually it's always running at 4-4.2). So temps in idle or light browsing range from 40-55. I could always switch the power plan to say power saver if I want the temperature to be lower.

Under load (gaming) it seems like the temperate mostly hovers around high 60s to low 70s. I've seen 72-74 at best.

So with this I wanted to ask one last thing. Is this good for longevity of the CPU? Load temps don't seem too bad and if I really wanted to I could change the power plan when not gaming and have lower temps.

So with this I wanted to ask one last thing. Is this good for longevity of the CPU?
Temperature is indeed the number one killer of any semiconductor but the CPU's designed to operate like this so I'd say it's adequate for an acceptable service life. By that I mean an operating life that's not only well beyond it's usefulness to you but maybe 20 years or more.

Keep in mind the CPU's rated with a Tjmax of 95c, the maximum operating temp AMD recommends in it's publicly published specifications and the temp where throttles itself hard. But above that there's also a 'thermal trip limit' of 115c and HTC (High Temp Cutout) limit of 115.5C which is a temp where it immediately shuts down to protect itself so there's plenty of margin above even 95C.

I'd imagine, though, that operating at a sustained temp in the 90-95C range will impact it's service life. That means running 24 hours a day doing nothing but trans-coding videos, or something of the sort, with inadequate cooling. Anyone doing something like that's also interested in performance and that makes it increasingly less useful as faster processors come to market. So even if it's life is reduced to 5 years it will probably have served it's purpose and be ready for retirement anyway.

Last edited:
Solution

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017

Keep in mind the CPU's rated with a Tjmax of 95c, the maximum operating temp AMD recommends in it's publicly published specifications and the temp where throttles itself hard. But above that there's also a 'thermal trip limit' of 115c and HTC (High Temp Cutout) limit of 115.5C which is a temp where it immediately shuts down to protect itself so there's plenty of margin above even 95C.

I'd imagine, though, that operating at a sustained temp in the 90-95C range will impact it's service life. That means running 24 hours a day doing nothing but trans-coding videos, or something of the sort, with inadequate cooling. Anyone doing something like that's also interested in performance and that makes it increasingly less useful as faster processors come to market. So even if it's life is reduced to 5 years it will probably have served it's purpose and be ready for retirement anyway.

Thank you so much for the help.