[SOLVED] 3800x on x370 board. Stuck clocks and high voltage?

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I got a great deal on a 3800x Ryzen 7 cpu, and before installing it in my Crosshair VI Hero x370 motherboard I made sure the bios was up to date. Everything is recognized fine and running alright, but I noticed some oddities.

For one, the clock speed doesn't seem to go over 4.3. I'm not OCing, aside from the automated profiles built into the bios. I've read that this was an issue, supposedly addressed with bios updates. I'm thinking this is an issue with using an older x370, and I have a b550 on the way (back ordered). My CPU-Z is also showing that the min and max clocks are the same, but Ryzen Master is showing the clocks fluctuating more reasonable. So that also leads me to believe its just a mobo compatibility quirk.

I'm also noting that the voltage. It's stsying steady at 1.395. I know 3800x use more power and runs hotter (40c with my deep cool 360 aio at idle) but I'd like to confirm if this is in that safe window.

I don't think any of these are problems, but id appreciate a second opinion on these just to be safe.

Thanks!

Solution
I got a great deal on a 3800x Ryzen 7 cpu, and before installing it in my Crosshair VI Hero x370 motherboard I made sure the bios was up to date. Everything is recognized fine and running alright, but I noticed some oddities.

For one, the clock speed doesn't seem to go over 4.3. I'm not OCing, aside from the automated profiles built into the bios. I've read that this was an issue, supposedly addressed with bios updates. I'm thinking this is an issue with using an older x370, and I have a b550 on the way (back ordered). My CPU-Z is also showing that the min and max clocks are the same, but Ryzen Master is showing the clocks fluctuating more reasonable. So that also leads me to believe its just a mobo compatibility quirk.

I'm also...

I'm also noting that the voltage. It's stsying steady at 1.395. I know 3800x use more power and runs hotter (40c with my deep cool 360 aio at idle) but I'd like to confirm if this is in that safe window.

I don't think any of these are problems, but id appreciate a second opinion on these just to be safe.

Thanks!
First...did you also do a CMOS reset after the BIOS update?

Second did you un-install/re-install the Ryzen chipset drivers? Even if you have the latest, it is a conditional install so when it sees a different BIOS and CPU it might set up differently. Run the Ryzen Balanced power plan it installs unchanged.

And lastly: set up BIOS for proper Ryzen 3000 support: enable Cool n Quiet, enable Advanced C States, enable Processor CPPC and enable CPPC Preferred Cores. Also, leave VCore and processor clocks in AUTO.

Ryzen 3000 doesn't exactly run hotter, but it boosts on single cores more frequently and aggressively to higher clocks. It has dozens of sensors all over the chiplets, so at each boost, on a single core, it will briefly spike a temperature in one tiny area and ramp it back down as the boosting moves to another core. It's not really adding a lot to the overall thermal state; look at an average temperature readout like Ryzenmaster shows or HWInfo64 to see the true thermal state.

It should operate normally even on X370 board, boosting to max clocks on light bursty loads a single core at a time. Boosts occurr as often as 100 times per second, so you have to use something like HWInfo64 with a polling interval set to ~500mS (no more often than 200mS) to see it most clearly...look at MAX clocks column or pull a graph line out for each core multiplier. It's really hard if not impossible to follow boost clocks on CPUz. Running a Defender Quick Scan makes it boost single cores frequently and I see it boosting on my system.

BTW: IMO, that CHVI is still a great platform for a 3800X. Enough so, I'd consider it a down-grade to most any B550 unless moving to Ryzen 5000 CPU with a certainty in the future. PCIe gen 4 simply isn't sufficient reason to move as it's shown to not move the bar with GPU's already (both AMD and Nvidia GPU's). Not even NVME's with the way we use them.

Last edited:
Solution

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
First...did you also do a CMOS reset after the BIOS update?

Second did you un-install/re-install the Ryzen chipset drivers? Even if you have the latest, it is a conditional install so when it sees a different BIOS and CPU it might set up differently. Run the Ryzen Balanced power plan it installs unchanged.

And lastly: set up BIOS for proper Ryzen 3000 support: enable Cool n Quiet, enable Advanced C States, enable Processor CPPC and enable CPPC Preferred Cores. Also, leave VCore and processor clocks in AUTO.

Ryzen 3000 doesn't exactly run hotter, but it boosts more frequently and aggressively to higher clocks. It has dozens of sensors all over the chiplets, so at each boost, on a single core, it will briefly spike a temperature in one tiny area and ramp it back down as the boosting moves to another core. It's not really adding a lot to the overall thermal state; look at an average temperature readout like Ryzenmaster shows or HWInfo64 to see the true thermal state.

It should operate normally even on X370 board, boosting to max clocks on light bursty loads a single core at a time. Boosts occurr as often as 100 times per second, so you have to use something like HWInfo64 with a polling interval set to ~500mS (no more often than 200mS) to see it most clearly...look at MAX clocks column or pull a graph line out for each core multiplier. It's really hard if not impossible to follow boost clocks on CPUz. Running a Defender Quick Scan makes it boost single cores frequently and I see it boosting on my system.

BTW: IMO, that CHVI is still a great platform for a 3800X. Enough so, I'd consider it a down-grade to most any B550 unless moving to Ryzen 5000 CPU with a certainty in the future. PCIe gen 4 simply isn't sufficient reason to move as it's shown to not move the bar with GPU's already (both AMD and Nvidia GPU's). Not even NVME's with the way we use them.

I thought I reset the CMOS, but now that I think about it I can't recall actually going through the process. Strong possibility for user error on that one.

I haven't reinstalled the chipset drivers either, it's on my troubleshooting list though.

And the Ryzen bios settings: I've seen all those settings mentioned separately in different articles and how to's. I'll have to double check to make sure they're all set correctly.

Good to know about the boosting too. I've never looked at the frequency of the boosts before, so that's a nice tid bit too be aware of.
I am having a hard time getting rid of the CHVI, it's works so well. If I can hang onto it for a little longer I just may cancel the 550. With the history of Ryzen being "iffy" at times I just assumed it was a tech generation thing.

Man, tons of great info and help! Have to wait till after work to try it, but it all makes sense when broken down.
Thank you!

I am having a hard time getting rid of the CHVI, it's works so well. If I can hang onto it for a little longer I just may cancel the 550.
I remember someone...I think it was Buildzoid in one of his rambling vid's but i might be wrong...took the heatsink off a CHVI VRM and ran an 8 core (maybe 1800X) processor with a P95 workload. The FET's still weren't overheating. He was just amazed at the overkill of the thing. You should also be able to get nice high memory clocks...3600Mtps is not out of the question. Experiments with over 3600 too, but be careful about de-syncing the IF as it can kill latency.

So do try the settings. But also keep in mind that, while they're nice to see, Ryzen 3000's performance doesn't come from those max-boost clocks but from sustaining mid-range clocks. Run Cinebench 20 BM's to see it's real performance, both multicore and single core. Also, it responds really well to 'better than stock' cooling. So hopefully you have it under a nice big AIO at least, maybe even a closed loop. That really helps a 3800X get nice, sustained clocks under heavy loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I remember someone...I think it was Buildzoid in one of his rambling vid's but i might be wrong...took the heatsink off a CHVI VRM and ran an 8 core (maybe 1800X) processor with a P95 workload. The FET's still weren't overheating. He was just amazed at the overkill of the thing. You should also be able to get nice high memory clocks...3600Mtps is not out of the question. Experiments with over 3600 too, but be careful about de-syncing the IF as it can kill latency.

So do try the settings. But also keep in mind that, while they're nice to see, Ryzen 3000's performance doesn't come from those max-boost clocks but from sustaining mid-range clocks. Run Cinebench 20 BM's to see it's real performance, both multicore and single core. Also, it responds really well to 'better than stock' cooling. So hopefully you have it under a nice big AIO at least, maybe even a closed loop. That really helps a 3800X get nice, sustained clocks under heavy loads.
Happy to report that clearing the CMOS and installing the chipset drivers again fixed everything! When I tried to use the bios "EZ tuner" to boost, that's when it caused CPU-Z to show only 4.3 clocks. Every other tool showed normal fluctuating.
Thanks for the HWinfo64 recommendation, sure did help me visualize and understand things a bit more.

I already cancelled my b550 mobo order now that this CH6 is open for business. Saved me a decent penny on that one!

Thanks again, really appreciate it!