Question 3800x or i7 9700k?

Brotherofwar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Hi everyone!
I have quite a few of doubts about recent benchmarks...
Lately Intel has been hit with all kinds of patches related to security issues and what not..
Therefore it made my decision harder...
For strictly gaming what option would it be better?
3800x OC smt off/on with a 3200mhz cl16 ram from G.skill.
Or a i7 9700k oc on 4.8ghz on same memory stick?
The gpu to pair is a rtx 2080 super Gaming X trio OC to play at 1440p 144hz.
The cust would be the same pretty much.
=
Intel= z390 aorus master + i7 9700k + noctua nh d15 = 800€
AMD= X570 Aorus master + 3800x= 802€
All kinds of help would be appreciated.
Really on the struggle

Last edited:
With a high end gpu and 144hz monitor the CPUs will get to stretch their legs.

I would go for the I7 9700k since you are strictly gaming. Right now the i7 is a fair bit faster in games, especially when overclocked.

In the future the extra threads of the r7 will orove usefull, however the 8 core i7 should still be pretry capable a few years from now aswell.

Reactions: Brotherofwar

Brotherofwar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
With a high end gpu and 144hz monitor the CPUs will get to stretch their legs.

I would go for the I7 9700k since you are strictly gaming. Right now the i7 is a fair bit faster in games, especially when overclocked.

In the future the extra threads of the r7 will orove usefull, however the 8 core i7 should still be pretry capable a few years from now aswell.
Even with the latest security issues?
Alot of "people/internet" are saying that these days the intel part is sub par to when it actually release therefore benchmarks are outdated...
And therefore a oc 3800x to 4.2 will match the i7 stock or surpass by 2% margin.

From a gaming performance point of view, they both will do the job.
I would give the nod to intel for the faster clock when overclocked.
NH-D15 will be a better cooler and quieter.
Using the nh-d15 cooler your odds of 5.0 on all cores are good if you will use the intel performance maximizer app.

If there will be significant multitasking or of the primary games are multiplayer with many participants, then the extra ryzen threads would tip in that direction.

Reactions: Brotherofwar

Brotherofwar

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
From a gaming performance point of view, they both will do the job.
I would give the nod to intel for the faster clock when overclocked.
NH-D15 will be a better cooler and quieter.
Using the nh-d15 cooler your odds of 5.0 on all cores are good if you will use the intel performance maximizer app.

If there will be significant multitasking or of the primary games are multiplayer with many participants, then the extra ryzen threads would tip in that direction.
Multiplayer games I mostly play are arma 3/ Squad / upcoming modern warfare and such.
Where single players I'm more towards old games will be just revisiting them at 1440p to rejoice.
Therefore maybe these such games will have issues with ryzen like crisis trilogy.
Hopefully cyberpunk will not kill the i7 9700k when it launches since it seems it will murder cpu wise.
Thanks for the help being provided!😊
I'll just keep an look and not solve the query till later on go see if someone has a different opinion and if so the reasons!...and then make a final decision!

TRENDING THREADS