Question 3800x temperature questions

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
My brother got a 3800x and is using the stock cooler it came with and bios temps say 35-40, idle temps in windows are 50-65, and under load while playing COD max temp shows 97c but on average is 85c. This does not seem okay to me, is this normal for ryzen? Bios settings and voltage are all default. I used the stock thermal compound at first but then reapplied artic silver and reseated the cooler and don't see any improvement. Should he get a noctua dh15 or a better cooler in general? Or how normal are these temps with the stock cooler?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler is barely adequate for AMD's 105-watt CPUs. i was getting about the same temps as you with my 3900x. I bought a Corsair 110i RGB Platinum and my idle temps dropped to 35-40 degrees and max temps averaged about 80 degrees with occasional peaks to 90 degrees.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Make sure you are on the latest bios and chipset driver. The bios temps are representative of actual idle temps. Light loads and background tasks in windows will trigger voltage and frequency boosts which make "idle temps" in windows look a bit higher. This is normal. The CPU is likely not actually idle and is using its voltage and temp headroom to ramp up clock speeds to complete light load tasks as quickly as possible. The COD load temps are a bit concerning though.

Load voltages (and as a result temps) have gone down a bit in the newer AGESA versions so hopefully the newest bios (assuming he doesn't already have it up to date) should help in this regard. At least that's been my experience with my motherboards and 3000 CPU's. Otherwise the cooler may be a bit on the edge of adequate. I can't tell you for sure as the 3800x and 3950x are the only 3000 AM4 CPU's i haven't played around with yet. Might be worth replacing anyway as it is kind of loud.

... Should he get a noctua dh15 or a better cooler in general? Or how normal are these temps with the stock cooler?
When gaming your CPU cooler also has to deal with the hot air your GPU is pumping into the case, so if the case isn't well ventilated it won't handle it well. In which case even a Noctua NHD-15 won't help much more since it will also be using hot GPU exhaust air to try and cool off the CPU same as the stock cooler.

What case, how many case fans and what orientation are they? You should have a couple intakes and a couple exhaust fans to bring in cool air to help the CPU cooler. An AIO helps with that because they come with fans. 240mm at least would be best.

Reactions: rigg42

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
So I had my brother get a noctua nh-d15 and used the paste that came with it and the temps seem much better. They idle in the 40s-50s, and in COD it only hit around 68 max. So the new cooler definitely seemed to have fixed the issue. But I did run into one more problem and maybe I should make a new post as it has to do with the case. The cooler is too big I can't put any fans on the top of the case, and I cant even put the side of the case on lol. So I guess I was going to ask for any recommendations for cases that have decent amount of room and ones that can handle the noctua cooler easily

TRENDING THREADS