3870 fans are not throttling correctly. Help Please!!!

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Ok, so yesterday I downloaded new drivers for my 3870s (9.12), installation went fine, did all the stuff beforehand such as uninstall old drivers, run driver cleaner pro, ect..

Well, I decided to launch up L4D2. about 10 minuites into the game, it CTD. So i'm like, what the hell?! I checked my temps and they were at a whopping 100C!!!

I launched L4D2 when things cooled down a bit, and while I was playing I notice there was a lack of noise coming from my computer... MY GPU FANS ARENT THROTTLING!!!

I reverted to my old drivers and the same thing is happening... Before I installed the dang cataylist 9.12, everything was fine, but now I have to force my fans to run at 100% with rivatuner..

any suggestions how to get auto fan control working again?? =/

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Riva tuner can auto control your fan speeds aswel, so try that.

If that doesnt work, you can either do the manual but preset to max speed you want it at, or uninstal and try the card in another pcie slot or another computer.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

Thank you for the reply! How do you set rivatuner to auto control? I was not aware of this feature.. I think i'll give the pci-e swap a trick and keep you up to date on my progress.

Thanks again,

-Rambo

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
ok, so I got the rivatuner auto control going, all was going well for about 30 minuites ingame!! and then, I heard my GPU's fan struggling to keep throttled.. oddly enough, when i alt+tabbed to my desktop, the fan went full speed but whenever i went back to my game, it throttled down... : (

sigh, well, i guess ill try swapping the cards around =/