Question 3900X and TridentZ 3600 C18 won't run at speed

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Hey guys,

I recently built a rig based on a 3900x and I am having a hell of a time getting my memory stable at anything other than the default of 2133mhz.

Parts:
  • AMD 3900X
  • Asus Strix X570-E
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Neo 3600Mhz C18 (F4-3600C18D-32GTZN)

I had it running for a couple of weeks on XMP (DOCP) profile and it randomly froze and will not boot again now unless I reset to defaults.

So I've been trying to do as much research as possible, and have tried most of the alternate values that the DRAM calculator gives (especially for procODT). I have also tried a SAFE profile for running it at 3200 / 3000 and it fails to post in all scenarios. Originally when installing my CPU / RAM it would fail to post until I loosened the CPU cooler a bit. Do I have shitty memory? Shitty CPU? Motherboard? I am willing to purchase a new set at this point if it is what I must do, but maybe I am missing something... I've updated BIOS, etc.

I am pretty confident that it is Hynix CJR memory based on the taiphoon output - is this correct?

I know this can be hard to troubleshoot online, but maybe there is something obvious that I am missing or can try.

Any help or tips greatly appreciated, thanks

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, it is SK Hynix. G.SKILLF4-3600C18D-32GTZN32GB(16GB*2)DS SK Hynix18-22-22-42 1.35V.

Can you get it to boot into memtest86 on a USB stick to test the memory, sounds like that could be the problem. THIS is the download link for the free version.

I feel for ya, I have a motherboard at ASUS right now, probably not going to be fixed for a while since they are most likely all at home and I just got a Samsung NVMe back from RMA. Also a QNAP switch arrives from RMA tomorrow. 💩

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Yes, it is SK Hynix. G.SKILLF4-3600C18D-32GTZN32GB(16GB*2)DS SK Hynix18-22-22-42 1.35V.

Can you get it to boot into memtest86 on a USB stick to test the memory, sounds like that could be the problem. THIS is the download link for the free version.

I feel for ya, I have a motherboard at ASUS right now, probably not going to be fixed for a while since they are most likely all at home and I just got a Samsung NVMe back from RMA. Also a QNAP switch arrives from RMA tomorrow. 💩

I will give this a try tomorrow and report back, I have a feeling it will come back all good. I've ran all sorts of memtests on it already, but not actually from a stick.

That sucks about your board, I would hate to have to do an RMA right now. I'd rather just order a new part, haha.

Cheers

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Let that run overnight, zero errors, no issues reported at all. What are my next steps? I assume that means it's more likely the MB or CPU. I sure hope not right now with all the things going on, haha. I've attached the report, also the DRAM calculator settings I've been attempting to use. Thanks for the help!

svKLYWh.jpg

Gx8Auap.png

QvZfLKp.png

MNyvmJZ.png

semo

Let that run overnight, zero errors, no issues reported at all. What are my next steps? I assume that means it's more likely the MB or CPU. I sure hope not right now with all the things going on, haha. I've attached the report, also the DRAM calculator settings I've been attempting to use. Thanks for the help!

svKLYWh.jpg

Gx8Auap.png

QvZfLKp.png

MNyvmJZ.png

semo
DRAM never worked for me at anything over safe settings and I have the best RAM, Samsung B-die. It must be your CPU. Are you OCing it?

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Is your RAM in the memory compatibility list for your motherboard? The list is on your motherboard's manufacturer website.

No OC or anything else changed in the BIOS for that matter. Everything is brand new (a few weeks) and the RAM is listed on the ASUS QVL for the X570-E. Could have something to do with the pressure on my CPU from the cooler? I had to loosen it a bit to even POST originally... temps, performance, etc seem normal

No OC or anything else changed in the BIOS for that matter. Everything is brand new (a few weeks) and the RAM is listed on the ASUS QVL for the X570-E. Could have something to do with the pressure on my CPU from the cooler? I had to loosen it a bit to even POST originally... temps, performance, etc seem normal
I had an issue where only half my RAM would be detected. I changed my oem cooler with a custom one and all my RAM got detected. I don't know if it has to do with pressure or bent CPU pins.
Make sure your CPU pins are not bent.

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I had an issue where only half my RAM would be detected. I changed my oem cooler with a custom one and all my RAM got detected. I don't know if it has to do with pressure or bent CPU pins.
Make sure your CPU pins are not bent.

That's pretty much what I did. With the wraith cooler on I couldn't get the RAM to boot, so I swapped it out for a kraken. I checked the pins as well as I could safely do a few weeks back when I was originally trying to troubleshoot that problem - nothing obvious to an untrained eye. I suppose I could try loosening it a bit more...

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Well, I finally got to try the above (loosened the CPU cooler a bit more) and I still am not having any luck, even down to 3000mhz. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, unless my CPU is bad - trying to figure out how to tell. I checked the pins again and didn't notice anything off. Coming to the end of the wire with this one... But notsure if I just buy new RAM or replace the CPU. Truly sucks

Well, I finally got to try the above (loosened the CPU cooler a bit more) and I still am not having any luck, even down to 3000mhz. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, unless my CPU is bad - trying to figure out how to tell. I checked the pins again and didn't notice anything off. Coming to the end of the wire with this one... But notsure if I just buy new RAM or replace the CPU. Truly sucks
You may have to buy an Athlon 200GE, Ryzen 3 1200 or Ryzen 5 1600 AF for $50-85 and try the ram at 2933-3200 or just get different ram to try. The only other option would be to RMA the CPU, MB and ram one at a time.

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
You may have to buy an Athlon 200GE, Ryzen 3 1200 or Ryzen 5 1600 AF for $50-85 and try the ram at 2933-3200 or just get different ram to try. The only other option would be to RMA the CPU, MB and ram one at a time.

That's an interesting idea... although I've opted to just order a set of F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (same ram, different die / timings) and will try to return this set. Still gonna try messing with it a bit more. I got it up to 2400mhz (sigh).

I'll update once I get the new set, thanks for the tips

semo

Got the new RAM in, same issue as before. I can't get it above 2400Mhz, it's like a brick wall at the divider. Unsure what to do
Are you making sure to set the voltage to 1.35 and not going higher than 3200MT/s? Are you only trying to use DOCP/XMP? When manually setting the speed and timings, you may have to give the ram more voltage with a 2x16Gb kit. Possibly up to 1.4v if 1.35-1.37 doesn't work. Also leave timings on auto until you get 2933-3200 to work. The memory controller on that CPU may be a loser in the silicon lottery and could be stuck at 2666-2800MT/s for dual rank configs (2x16GB.)

What bios version did you update to?

semogen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
The voltages I've tried have been in the 1.35-1.41 range none work. I've tried SOC at 1.1 but I'll give 1.2 a go, that's probably the highest though correct? nothing gets me over 2400 so far

I updated to 1407 (from earlier this month)

thanks

update: SOC @ 1.2, DRAM @ 1.4, Auto timings or DOCP doesnt matter, no POST past 2400Mhz - tried increasing trfc to 550 as well

Last edited:
The voltages I've tried have been in the 1.35-1.41 range none work. I've tried SOC at 1.1 but I'll give 1.2 a go, that's probably the highest though correct? nothing gets me over 2400 so far

I updated to 1407 (from earlier this month)

thanks

update: SOC @ 1.2, DRAM @ 1.4, Auto timings or DOCP doesnt matter, no POST past 2400Mhz - tried increasing trfc to 550 as well
Really weird, my only guess is that you got a CPU with a bad memory controller in it.