Question 3900X availability

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
I have searched every square inch of the internet and I can't find a 3900X anywhere. It's getting ridiculous. Scalpers/Markup sellers/Ebay doesn't count and I dont trust it. Why has AMD not released a statement on this? Why are there no ETAs? Is there like a big conspiracy going on? I'm sittin on $3000 of parts and I dont have a CPU and my last nerve is almost frayed. Does anyone have ANY insight as to when we will see a 3900X in stock? I've been hammering on the refresh button every 5 minutes for the past 3 weeks and haven't got anything? I bet I've hit the refresh button probably a few thousand times by now. Someone has to know something.

Last edited by a moderator:

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
3900/3950 are top of the line processors and demand perfect die production while all other ones are just more or less successful die production. Process is too new to have very high production yeald so there's not many made yet.

Ok. Why no ETA? Why no statement from AMD? Why no statements from the retailers? Why are all the consumers being kept in the dark? Most have died from impatience and ended up settling for a 3800X. Someone has to know something

In the dark about what? Statement saying what exactly?
Do you think AMD is going to release daily statements about how many processors pass QC and are ready to head out? No. First of all thats trade information, and second it would just cause more drama over availability.
Retailers are in the same boat. They cant ensure a steady supply yet, so they have no information to share other than they will get it in stock when they do.

You are talking about top of the line, cutting edge technology. And you expect it to be on the shelf at any given time? Of course not. Peak launch demand never makes up for the average demand for a product, hence why a few months after launch there is always a surplus of products.

Anyone serious about getting the 3900x knows there is going to be waiting involved. Just like any other launch thats happened, AMD or Intel.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
In the dark about what? Statement saying what exactly?
Do you think AMD is going to release daily statements about how many processors pass QC and are ready to head out? No. First of all thats trade information, and second it would just cause more drama over availability.
Retailers are in the same boat. They cant ensure a steady supply yet, so they have no information to share other than they will get it in stock when they do.

You are talking about top of the line, cutting edge technology. And you expect it to be on the shelf at any given time? Of course not. Peak launch demand never makes up for the average demand for a product, hence why a few months after launch there is always a surplus of products.

Anyone serious about getting the 3900x knows there is going to be waiting involved. Just like any other launch thats happened, AMD or Intel.

Ok. But why can't amd give us something work with? I mean.... Keeping quiet sounds nothing.... Even something like "Sorry guys ... We're going as fast as we can" would help. I know it's not professional but I mean... Why not an ETA? I mean they should be in touch with the retailers and have some kind of timeline as to when they will ship out to retailers, or at least be able to tell us when they will be able to order right off their own website. I mean .... It's been 3 weeks. It's getting insane. At this rate, 3950X is going to be on people's radar.

Think about it from AMDs side.
We, as the consumers, know they will provide the product. Thats how the business relationship works.
Now beyond that assumption, lets say AMD says "Okay we have x number of processors ready to go, expect them in 5-10 days!"
Lets say they dont make it on shelves by day 10. Or they arrive early, and sell out. Or retailers delay for one reason or another. And so on. Massive backlash to AMD for not being able to "control their products".

In terms of a statement, I personally like seeing someone working away quietly over someone who constantly reassures me that they "are working on it/It will be ready soon/Just a bit longer". One I know is doing their work, the other is making excuses.

So instead of offering empty promises and generic announcements, they are working away to deliver the product they know consumers are waiting for.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
We, as the consumers, know they will provide the product. Thats how the business relationship works.
Now beyond that assumption, lets say AMD says "Okay we have x number of processors ready to go, expect them in 5-10 days!"
Lets say they dont make it on shelves by day 10. Or they arrive early, and sell out. Or retailers delay for one reason or another. And so on. Massive backlash to AMD for not being able to "control their products".

In terms of a statement, I personally like seeing someone working away quietly over someone who constantly reassures me that they "are working on it/It will be ready soon/Just a bit longer". One I know is doing their work, the other is making excuses.

So instead of offering empty promises and generic announcements, they are working away to deliver the product they know consumers are waiting for.

They don't need to make false promises

"We are working as quickly as we can to produce these chips, and are producing them at a rate of X chips per day. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the expectation is that they should be available at major retailers by X date. This is not guaranteed, is subject to change, and is largely dependant on the logistics of production and shipment, some of which is beyond our control. We appreciate your patience and we are going as fast as we can. Thank you"

This would be a good way to put it, because your at least giving an ETA while saying it's not guaranteed, so there should be no backlash because people were told it's not guaranteed

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So best you can do is either pre-order and wait in line with the rest of the pre-ordere's, they'll be first priority if from where you buy offers pre-orders. If buying randomly, best during early business hours, try every day. Stores could receive stock say 8:30~10am your time then there's workers at whichever store having to finalise stock. If work ethic is any good, could see 3900x in stock between 9:30 ~ 11am ;P

So best you can do is either pre-order and wait in line with the rest of the pre-ordere's, they'll be first priority if from where you buy offers pre-orders. If buying randomly, best during early business hours, try every day. Stores could receive stock say 8:30~10am your time then there's workers at whichever store having to finalise stock. If work ethic is any good, could see 3900x in stock between 9:30 ~ 11am ;P
Or just camp in front of a store ?

USAFRet

Titan
They don't need to make false promises

"We are working as quickly as we can to produce these chips, and are producing them at a rate of X chips per day. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the expectation is that they should be available at major retailers by X date. This is not guaranteed, is subject to change, and is largely dependant on the logistics of production and shipment, some of which is beyond our control. We appreciate your patience and we are going as fast as we can. Thank you"

This would be a good way to put it, because your at least giving an ETA while saying it's not guaranteed, so there should be no backlash because people were told it's not guaranteed

"and are producing them at a rate of X chips per day"
Trade secret, not to be disclosed to the public, ever.

They'll arrive when they arrive.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
CountMike, I like your thinking on the 3800x. To me it is the fastest clocker for the single chaplet used. The 3900x uses 2 chiplets with 6 of the 8 potential cores enabled but compensates but slightly lowering the boost clock speed. Too hard to determine what the 3950x will do (any bets Dr. Su already has one?).

When you get above 8 physical cores AMD has determined to start using multiple chiplets.

In my amateur opinion, when you start wanting "more cores" I think I would wait for the newest Threadrippers to appear.

I bet that's when you will see some cores.

The 3800x appears to be the sweet spot for the $$ for an 8 core.

CountMike, I like your thinking on the 3800x. To me it is the fastest clocker for the single chaplet used. The 3900x uses 2 chiplets with 6 of the 8 potential cores enabled but compensates but slightly lowering the boost clock speed. Too hard to determine what the 3950x will do (any bets Dr. Su already has one?).

When you get above 8 physical cores AMD has determined to start using multiple chiplets.

In my amateur opinion, when you start wanting "more cores" I think I would wait for the newest Threadrippers to appear.

I bet that's when you will see some cores.

The 3800x appears to be the sweet spot for the $$ for an 8 core.
Well 3800x is the fastest single chiplet Ryzen but results up to now don't show much improvement over 3700x and although potential is there today's BIOS doesn't seem to support it good enough.
Conventional desktop Ryzen is not same as Threadripper even if with same number of cores, they have different jobs to do.

pghoover

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

I view this from my side.

AMD announced a new product line, they announced a date of availability, they "hyped" their product and they are unable to deliver.

I agree with others and feel AMD should at a minimum acknowledge they either cannot keep up with demand or the fabricator is having quality issues producing a usable product. The latter, if it is the case, is not being said for what should be obvious reasons. If AMD cannot rely on the fabricator to produce a usable product that will undermine the "faith" in the product and may affect sales.

One can make any excuse to defend AMD the bottom line is they announced a product, a date of availability and are unable to fulfill the expectation.

I am ready to purchase next week I have no qualms about staying with Intel the fanboys will rant and rave but I am going to spend my money on payday and I would have gladly given it to AMD.

When Chevrolet or Ford or other exotic mfg roll out a new "muscle" car many go on a waiting list can't AMD do the same thing? I would go on the waiting list at least I would have some idea of when the product would be available in the real world instead of the unrealistic release date.

I view this from my side.

AMD announced a new product line, they announced a date of availability, they "hyped" their product and they are unable to deliver.

I agree with others and feel AMD should at a minimum acknowledge they either cannot keep up with demand or the fabricator is having quality issues producing a usable product. The latter, if it is the case, is not being said for what should be obvious reasons. If AMD cannot rely on the fabricator to produce a usable product that will undermine the "faith" in the product and may affect sales.

One can make any excuse to defend AMD the bottom line is they announced a product, a date of availability and are unable to fulfill the expectation.

I am ready to purchase next week I have no qualms about staying with Intel the fanboys will rant and rave but I am going to spend my money on payday and I would have gladly given it to AMD.

When Chevrolet or Ford or other exotic mfg roll out a new "muscle" car many go on a waiting list can't AMD do the same thing? I would go on the waiting list at least I would have some idea of when the product would be available in the real world instead of the unrealistic release date.
Currently, only 1 Ryzen 3k cpu is out of stock most places. All others are readably available. Much better than Intels shortages that left many chips out of stock.

InvalidError

Titan
Most models are available and with AMD out-selling Intel 3:1 in European e-shops that publish sales data, it seems pretty clear that there are plenty of AMD parts to go around. If you can't buy a product because all shops you are considering buying from are sold-out, just wait longer, there is nothing more that AMD can do about excessive demand for a finite volume part.

If you want to be on a "waiting list", find a retailer who takes orders on back-order parts. AMD does not sell CPUs direct to individual consumers, so making a back-order list for individuals isn't AMD's responsibility. (Ford does not take back-orders either, their dealership franchisees do.)

Wow! You make me look like one of those boring old fogies who is content to wait a year until the market settles-down, and the processors and motherboards actually work together--without a lot of hair pulling and cussing.

Wow! You make me look like one of those boring old fogies who is content to wait a year until the market settles-down, and the processors and motherboards actually work together--without a lot of hair pulling and cussing.
Nah, there is a lot of reason to do that. AMD's launches of recent have been shaky at best. After a while it all gets sorted so it makes sense to wait sometimes.

I can also see reasons not to wait. The main one for me is the performance jump from my 1200 to something like a 3600 or 3700x