Discussion 3900x boost clocks while gaming.

I recently upgraded to a Gigabyte Aorus Master mobo and 3900x CPU. I did all the proper steps I've always done with such a change. Full reinstall of Windows and all current drivers.

While playing The Division 2 I get 4000mhz core clocks. If I enable PBO I get 4200mhz core clocks. Full water loop and CPU temps. stay under 60°c.

My old system was a ASUS Prime x470-Pro and 3700x. My in game Temps were less than 60°c but boost clocks were 4300mhz+.

I've tried different BIOSs, different power plans, different BIOS settings and can't seem to get over 4200mhz in game.

I've done lots of reading threads on a bunch of forums and even YouTube(I know). And it seems that I should be getting around 4.4ghz while under gaming loads with PBO enabled.

I've also read that the $360 Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard is a dud.

tl;dr what are your 3900x clocks while gaming?

Anybody else have such a configuration they could share their results?
I do not have such a configuration..I have a 3700X on a $110 dollar motherboard, but some suggestions:

First, downclocking your ram won't help with the CPU boosting. Update your motherboard's BIOS if it's not already at the latest (it should include AGESA 1004b) and install the chipset drivers from the AMD support web site. After that, make sure you are running the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Update Windows...it matters. Later Windows versions have a processor topology aware scheduler that better utilizes your Ryzen CPU, but only if you have also installed the AMD chipset drivers and BIOS with AGESA 1004b.

Once those steps are taken, in your BIOS find and enable the following settings: AMD Cool'n'Quiet, Advanced (or Global) C States, Processor CPPC, Processor CPPC Preferred Cores.

When you enable PBO, set PPT to 300, TDC and EDC to 230, PBO Scalar to 5X. Leave CPU Multiplier and Voltage in Auto, LLC at the lowest setting or left in default.

For most systems that frees the processor to boost readily from idle to rated boost clocks on several cores, although one at a time. When it's boosting do not be surprised to see VCore also spike up to as high as 1.5V. It's quite safe and by design, AMD has stated thus many times.

Reactions: drivinfast247
I'll give those numbers a run when I get home tonight. Everything including Windows is up-to-date.
Just remember how Ryzen boosts: it only boosts to full rated clocks for light, bursty processing loads. That usually happens with lightly threaded apps too; Windows Defender running a quick scan is a great way to see it on my system.

Ryzen does it's heavy lifting at the mid-level clocks, which can be fairly high when under load but do not expect it to be sustained at or very close to the rated max boost (4.6Ghz) even on single threads. Also, the better the cooling you have on your CPU the higher the sustained clock can be. If you have inadequate cooling you can expect clocks under an extremely heavy load to go as low as the base clock for the processor, 3.8Ghz for a 3900X. Or even lower if poorly cooled.

I've tried EVERYTHING! THRICE! Even older versions of every possible driver. I came across a thread on overclock.net regarding this motherboard in particular. Looks like it's a dud. I am able to take advantage of the EDC bug and get some very nice(proper) clocks out of the chip.

Edit: though I was able to get proper clocks out of the CPU by taking advantage of the EDC bug it introduced a few issues of it's own. I'm gonna chalk it up to a bad motherboard and try a different brand.

Last edited: