Question 3900X getting stuck at 500 Mhz

Loatty

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Hello all,

My precious 3900X has been getting stuck at 500 Mhz, requiring a restart to get to 'normal' 4.2 Ghz boost clocks.
I've been pouring over my BIOS, even going as far as to physically take out the CMOS battery, but I can't seem to identify nor fix the issue...

(I have updated my BIOS to version 1405, which is the latest at the time of writing)

Has anyone here ever heard of something like this? I would love some help, or just tell me if an RMA might be my best option...

Full specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define C
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200 Mhz CL16 (Links to exact model I have)
PSU: Corsair HX750 V2
1st SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
2nd SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 4TB
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

Fans: 4x Noctua NF-S12A PWM, 120mm

Hello all,

My precious 3900X has been getting stuck at 500 Mhz, requiring a restart to get to 'normal' 4.2 Ghz boost clocks.
I've been pouring over my BIOS, even going as far as to physically take out the CMOS battery, but I can't seem to identify nor fix the issue...

(I have updated my BIOS to version 1405, which is the latest at the time of writing)

Has anyone here ever heard of something like this? I would love some help, or just tell me if an RMA might be my best option...

Full specs:

Could it be overheating and going into a thermal protect mode? either the CPU or the VRM?

Loatty

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
At startup? With considerable heatsinks (I was told the CPU heatsink was overkill considering the limited OC headroom for Ryzen 3000) on all those components and good airflow across everything?

I don't want to sound condescending, but I should hope that would be the last concern I could ever have...

At startup? With considerable heatsinks (I was told the CPU heatsink was overkill considering the limited OC headroom for Ryzen 3000) on all those components and good airflow across everything?

I don't want to sound condescending, but I should hope that would be the last concern I could ever have...
You need to check the temperatures. A misalignment with the cooler or defect with the VRM heatsink could cause unexpected problems.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Loatty

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
I'm currently gaming, so I got a few stats from actual use:

CPU overall (as reported by Ryzen master): ~69,34 C

Motherboard chipset: Holding steady at 60 C (HWinfo)

2 highest temps reported (assuming VRM, they're not labeled): 74 & 79 C (HWinfo, reading mobo stats), which is a little higher than expected, but not dangerous, to my knowledge

Hello all,

Full specs:

Use the Ryzen Power Profile and set it to high performance. You can download it from AMD:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

Edit: Your temps are fine.

Loatty

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Use the Ryzen Power Profile and set it to high performance. You can download it from AMD:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

Edit: Your temps are fine.

I don't see a download for a power profile... I just redirects me to chipset drivers? Or is that what you mean?

Never mind, forgot to read release notes...

It's likely the BIOS version with AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B. Updated your BIOS from AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA and now clock speeds don't boost as high and get stuck at low frequencies?

the previous 1404 (I'm running 1405) did indeed include that 1.0.0.4B patch, yes

Issues started shortly after, I believe, yes.... According to the Asus website, I can't downgrade from version 1404 onwards, though...

zx128k

Reputable
I don't see a download for a power profile... I just redirects me to chipset drivers? Or is that what you mean?

Never mind, forgot to read release notes...

the previous 1404 (I'm running 1405) did indeed include that 1.0.0.4B patch, yes

Issues started shortly after, I believe, yes.... According to the Asus website, I can't downgrade from version 1404 onwards, though...

I upgraded to AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B and kept getting two cores stuck at low frequencies and had to turn the PC off and on the get rid of the issue. Going back to AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA resolved the issue for me.

The real kick was the problem was not in the beta bios but was in the release.

If you are not able to downgrade then we need a plan b. Time to try changing the power plan.

Last edited:

Loatty

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
I upgraded to AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B and kept getting two cores stuck at low frequencies and had to turn the PC off and on the get rid of the issue. Going back to AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA resolved the issue for me.

As stated, according to Asus, downgrade isn't an option... which makes me reluctant to try, as a failure might void my warranty, because I didn't follow the guideline :confused_old:

I have installed and enabled the Ryzen High Performance Power Profile, so I'll monitor for a few days... and see if it helps (aside from the BIOS woes, I'd love to hear ideas and possible solutions :sweatsmile:)

zx128k

Reputable
As stated, according to Asus, downgrade isn't an option... which makes me reluctant to try, as a failure might void my warranty, because I didn't follow the guideline :confused_old:

I have installed and enabled the Ryzen High Performance Power Profile, so I'll monitor for a few days... and see if it helps (aside from the BIOS woes, I'd love to hear ideas and possible solutions :sweatsmile:)

I would contact Asus for support while you test. Maybe they can provide information that could help.