[SOLVED] 3900x idle voltage problem

abhishek2696hhh

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
Hello,

I am running my 3900x at an all core OC of 4.150Ghz at 1.2 volts.I did the overclock in the ryzen master software and checked it in cinebench r20 for stability.My temps are always around 50-60C at idle.I have the latest chipset drivers and ryzen balanced plan enabled.

There are some things that I want to know from this -

1.) When I have everything closed and only CPU-Z running, the idle voltage is always 1.2 v and never dips below that. Is this normal ?

2.) Is this overclock even worth it?

3.) When I boot up my pc the processor is set at 3.8Ghz max frequency at 1.288 volts. Is this normal?

4.) Setting it to default in creator mode leads the voltages to sometimes fluctuate upto 1.592 volts in CPU-Z and the max core multiplier i've seen is upto 45.0x. Is this normal?

Sorry, fairly new to all this. The only thing i've learned so far is how to do a basic all core OC in ryzen master utility.

Solution
Ryzen Master is an overclocking test software, it doesn't actually save those settings to the PC. It's mainly meant for trying out different settings and seeing how your PC reacts to them. Once you find a settings that's stable, you'll have to set them manually in the BIOS (some programs also work for this but I like to eliminate any possibilities of issues between programs/BIOS and programs/other programs).

To answer your specific questions:

1. It depends if you have the voltage hardlocked to 1.2 or Auto. Normally 1.45 is where voltage starts to be a problem causer, as running this voltage over long periods can degrade the CPU faster than normal. 1.2 is totally safe.

2. Depends on if any applications you use see benefits from...
Ryzen Master is an overclocking test software, it doesn't actually save those settings to the PC. It's mainly meant for trying out different settings and seeing how your PC reacts to them. Once you find a settings that's stable, you'll have to set them manually in the BIOS (some programs also work for this but I like to eliminate any possibilities of issues between programs/BIOS and programs/other programs).

1. It depends if you have the voltage hardlocked to 1.2 or Auto. Normally 1.45 is where voltage starts to be a problem causer, as running this voltage over long periods can degrade the CPU faster than normal. 1.2 is totally safe.

2. Depends on if any applications you use see benefits from bumping that 3.8 up to a 4.15. If your max temps under max load at 4.15 are good, then I'd recommend putting it there. Otherwise, 3.8 is still pretty good, especially for a 12-core.

3. As mentioned in my first paragraph, Ryzen Master doesn't save the settings to your pc. The 3.8 / 1.288 settings are most likely what's currently saved in your BIOS. Double check that.

4. Most Ryzen CPU's come with a feature called Precision Boost Overdrive. This is basically a feature that automatically overclocks your CPU when needed. the 3900X is rated for a max of 4.6GHz, so that 45x multiplier indicates that you're reaching around 4.5 GHz average with the default PBO enabled. That voltage is pretty high, which is why I would recommend disabling PBO (and any other Game Boost setting) in your BIOS and manually setting your preferred clock speed and voltage. If the 4.15GHz / 1.2V setting you tried out in Ryzen Master was stable and gave you performance that you were satisfied with, use those settings.

You mentioned that with the overclock, you saw idle temps around 50-60C. What about under max load during CineBench / any other stress test? Ryzen Master does come with a built in stress tester (located on the upper right of the app window) and you can set how long the test is in the settings page.

Solution

abhishek2696hhh

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018

2. Depends on if any applications you use see benefits from bumping that 3.8 up to a 4.15. If your max temps under max load at 4.15 are good, then I'd recommend putting it there. Otherwise, 3.8 is still pretty good, especially for a 12-core.

3. As mentioned in my first paragraph, Ryzen Master doesn't save the settings to your pc. The 3.8 / 1.288 settings are most likely what's currently saved in your BIOS. Double check that.

4. Most Ryzen CPU's come with a feature called Precision Boost Overdrive. This is basically a feature that automatically overclocks your CPU when needed. the 3900X is rated for a max of 4.6GHz, so that 45x multiplier indicates that you're reaching around 4.5 GHz average with the default PBO enabled. That voltage is pretty high, which is why I would recommend disabling PBO (and any other Game Boost setting) in your BIOS and manually setting your preferred clock speed and voltage. If the 4.15GHz / 1.2V setting you tried out in Ryzen Master was stable and gave you performance that you were satisfied with, use those settings.

You mentioned that with the overclock, you saw idle temps around 50-60C. What about under max load during CineBench / any other stress test? Ryzen Master does come with a built in stress tester (located on the upper right of the app window) and you can set how long the test is in the settings page.

Hey, thanks for helping out!

I did a few things from yesterday.

I went into the motherboard(ROG STRIX X570 E-GAMING) bios settings, reset everything to default and set the Vcore voltage override to 1.3v and enabled DOCP/XMP. I have a 3200mhz ram so i matched with 1600 FLCK

I let the CPU run on its base settings but there is one confusing thing. Ryzen master shows the voltages jump all over from 1-1.4 volts. CPU-Z still shows the voltage stuck at 1.288v and hwmonitor shows it jumping from 1.1-1.487 volts.

As for the max temps during a stress test, I did a cinebench r20 multicore stress test for 300 seconds with max temps going up to 86C.

Sidenote- I have a noctua NH-D15s cooling the system

The system still does not go below 1v during idle with temps above 50C on idle (ambient temps here are 27-32C)

I then proceeded to go into the BIOS again and settings the Vcore voltage to Auto
This led to CPU-Z showing the fluctuating voltages anywhere from 1.104v - 1.4v
Does this suggest that me previously capping the Vcore voltage override to1.3 actually worked and CPU-Z is the only software correctly showing it?
PLEASE HELP !!

Last edited:
Is Precision Boost Overdrive still enabled in the BIOS? It comes enabled by default, so if you didn't disable it, it's probably still on. That's what's most likely gonna be causing fluctuations. Voltages are jumping to cover jumps in clock speed. My mobo also showed a Game Boost option, enabled by default, so look around your settings to see if that one or something similar is there, and make sure it's off if so.

I've heard hwmonitor isn't very reliable, but Ryzen Master would be the most accurate out of the three. I personally had issues with CPU-Z too. I'd recommend hwinfo64 for the most in depth and accurate readings.

Apr 5, 2020
I just updated my bios disabled pbo enabled amd cool n quiet and set a pretty agressive chasis and cpu cooler fan curves and my voltages on idle now are 1,1v - 1,4v depending on background tasks of windows ofc and i now see dips all the way to 0,8v pretty regularly i highly recommend a bios update if yours isnt up to date Also my load temps on cinebench dropped from 88c to 84c on avrg but idle temps as 42c-50c pretty much same as they were.