[SOLVED] 3900x NEVER boosts over 4.000

Stooovie

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
3900x on Asus X570-p, stock cooler (I know, new one is coming), Ryzen Balanced Power Mode, Win 10 latest. Chipset drivers and BIOS (1407) are all fully updated.

My cores literally never boost over 4.000, not even a 0.001, even with temps around 60-65C. It seems it doesn't really matter what I set in BIOS like PBO, Performance enhancer, it just won't go over 4, even in single core tasks like Cinebench 20. Measured with Ryzen Master. I could really use some extra single core juice in things like emulation. I'm not into massive overclocking but right now the CPU doesn't do what I paid for.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Solution
3900x on Asus X570-p, stock cooler (I know, new one is coming), Ryzen Balanced Power Mode, Win 10 latest. Chipset drivers and BIOS (1407) are all fully updated.

My cores literally never boost over 4.000, not even a 0.001, even with temps around 60-65C. It seems it doesn't really matter what I set in BIOS like PBO, Performance enhancer, it just won't go over 4, even in single core tasks like Cinebench 20. Measured with Ryzen Master. I could really use some extra single core juice in things like emulation. I'm not into massive overclocking but right now the CPU doesn't do what I paid for.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Some things to check, some may be done some you may have done...

BIOS updated to latest w/AGESA 1004b
Installed latest...

Any ideas? Thanks!
You’ve used ryzen master and increased the frequency?

Stooovie

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Are you sure? This look way too low for stock cooler and 3900X. 65C is the kind of temp I see with a 100 dollars Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler in a room temperature of 18C.
That's what RM and all other tools including BIOS setup report. Ambient room temp 25. It goes to up to 85-95 at Pmark Small FFT and stuff like that. Usual temps outside measuring scenarios - such as when working in After Effects - are around 75.

Last edited:

Any ideas? Thanks!

Some things to check, some may be done some you may have done...

BIOS updated to latest w/AGESA 1004b
Installed latest AMD chipset drivers DL'd from AMD's web site

In BIOS, set CPU multiplier and VCore voltage to AUTO and set the following to ENABLED: AMD CoolnQuiet, Global C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

Either DISABLE PBO or just set it to AUTO. DO NOT try out an any auto-overclocking or performance enhancer until you've determined it's working correctly first.

Run the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, installed with the chipset drivers, without making any changes especially the CPU minimum power state. It's set it 99% to keep windows from trying to manage power of the CPU as it's much better and faster at it than the OS is.

Also uninstall or disable any motherboard utilities or other utilities like iCue.

It only boosts to rated clocks on light, bursty tasks and a single core at a time.

Last edited:
Solution