[SOLVED] 3900x or 10700k

Mike12944

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
Just wondering what you're guys thoughts were on this. I was kinda set on getting the 10700k but reading the reviews and seeing how hot it runs and seeing how much electric is sucks down it is starting to make me second guess. It will be for gaming mostly. Right now my local Microcenter has a sale of the 3900x for only $410. What do you guys think? Currently I have an intel 3570k. So I'm really looking forward to upgrading.

Solution
3600, 3700X, 3800X, 3900X....

as none are outrageously expensive, it's hard to make a wrong choice, but, ...the 3600 will offer great performance (often 90-95% of that of the 3900X and, allows $200 saved, which could be forwarded towards a batter X570 mainboard (future 4000 series compatibility), larger NVME storage (I'd not be overly concerned with PCI-e 4.0 storage yet, frankly), or, most importantly...perhaps a better GPU. 5700XT or 2070 Super

As for the 10700K, until we know the specifics of what clock speeds were hit on it's alleged 235W fiasco' of recent outings, one would have to assume it must have been clocked higher than the typical 9900K, so, I'd be tempted to wait until the actual release and reviews have occurred, vice...
If all you're doing is gaming the 3800x is all you need...the 3900x won't be noticeably better...and it if was me I would question spending the cash on 3900x this close to Zen3. I wouldn't spend any money on the 10th gen Intel chips unless you've got outstanding h20 cooling in a top end high air flow case...but Intel is still the fastest setup. When Zen3 rolls out in few months things will get very interesting very quickly.

Reactions: GarrettL

Mike12944

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
If all you're doing is gaming the 3800x is all you need...the 3900x won't be noticeably better...and it if was me I would question spending the cash on 3900x this close to Zen3. I wouldn't spend any money on the 10th gen Intel chips unless you've got outstanding h20 cooling in a top end high air flow case...but Intel is still the fastest setup. When Zen3 rolls out in few months things will get very interesting very quickly.
So it's better to save the money and stick with the 3800x? Yea I was also thinking about waiting until the Zen3's came out but I have been putting off building a new PC for a couple of years now always saying I'm gonna wait until the new processors to come out. My processor is starting to show its age. I was gonna get the 3800x earlier this year but wanted to see what Intel put out.

So it's better to save the money and stick with the 3800x? Yea I was also thinking about waiting until the Zen3's came out but I have been putting off building a new PC for a couple of years now always saying I'm gonna wait until the new processors to come out. My processor is starting to show its age. I was gonna get the 3800x earlier this year but wanted to see what Intel put out.

If I was building an AMD gaming rig today, and didn't want to wait, I would likely go with the 3600 and then buy the fastest Zen3 gaming chip available when they launch. It's the route I went earlier this year when I rebuilt my gaming rig...the 3600 has been a solid gaming chip with everything I've thrown at it. I play a lot of CoD, some WWZ, and quite a lot of the Total War games.

3600, 3700X, 3800X, 3900X....

as none are outrageously expensive, it's hard to make a wrong choice, but, ...the 3600 will offer great performance (often 90-95% of that of the 3900X and, allows $200 saved, which could be forwarded towards a batter X570 mainboard (future 4000 series compatibility), larger NVME storage (I'd not be overly concerned with PCI-e 4.0 storage yet, frankly), or, most importantly...perhaps a better GPU. 5700XT or 2070 Super

As for the 10700K, until we know the specifics of what clock speeds were hit on it's alleged 235W fiasco' of recent outings, one would have to assume it must have been clocked higher than the typical 9900K, so, I'd be tempted to wait until the actual release and reviews have occurred, vice one source's claims, which may or may not be accurate. What if that was an all core 5000-5100 MHz figure, and, what if power consumption, as is often the case, was much more reasonable even 200 MHz lower....? We simply do not know yet.

Solution