[SOLVED] 3900x temp keep increasing. is it a sign of bad thermal paste application?

May 19, 2020
so, I just start building like 2 weeks ago. and notice I can't have a stable thermal performance on my 3900x. it's not that I want to overclock or something.. I just want default performance with stable temp.

so, for a stater, just at the start, my CPU temp is at 70C. I just don't feel it right.. and when I do try stressing it, it's just increasing. When I use manual, default or underclocked, after 5-8 sec and it already hit 100++C. when I use PBO, and even Eco Mode, it thermal throttled.. its good because the temp not going to exceed 95C, but the clock is decreasing constantly to under 2000MHz. I already tried turning off the multithread, same result. even the turn off the core so I only use 6 core. same result.

Is it true if I assume that I did some mistake when applying my cooler?.

I am using stock Cooler, so, AMD Wraith Prism.. with applied thermal paste.. the thermal paste in the box with wraith prism. I'm also using 4x16gb 3600 ram.. if that is also the prob (?).. some people say to volt it to get better temp.. but I'm not doing it yet.

I'm new here, I can't put picture yet.. lol..

so this is my idle stat when PBO on
CPU 1.3++V (PBO so...)
CPU under 1000mhz (Idle)
Temp 74-75
When Stressing with PBO
CPU from 1.3 decreasing to 0.9 constantly it takes like 3-5 sec
Temp Throttle, if I turn off throttle then it shut down because of overheat

Solution
Sounds like a badly mounted cooler. You can try to remount it with the existing thermal compound. Its not good practice, but still might improve your situation.
On top of that you might want to rethink your cooler choice. On that 12 core you might want to get a more potent cooler on the long run.
May 19, 2020
so, I just start building like 2 weeks ago. and notice I can't have a stable thermal performance on my 3900x. it's not that I want to overclock or something.. I just want default performance with stable temp.

so, for a stater, just at the start, my CPU temp is at 70C. I just don't feel it right.. and when I do try stressing it, it's just increasing. When I use manual, default or underclocked, after 5-8 sec and it already hit 100++C. when I use PBO, and even Eco Mode, it thermal throttled.. its good because the temp not going to exceed 95C, but the clock is decreasing constantly to under 2000MHz. I already tried turning off the multithread, same result. even the turn off the core so I only use 6 core. same result.

Is it true if I assume that I did some mistake when applying my cooler?.

I am using stock Cooler, so, AMD Wraith Prism.. with applied thermal paste.. the thermal paste in the box with wraith prism. I'm also using 4x16gb 3600 ram.. if that is also the prob (?).. some people say to volt it to get better temp.. but I'm not doing it yet.

I'm new here, I can't put picture yet.. lol..

so this is my idle stat when PBO on
CPU 1.3++V (PBO so...)
CPU under 1000mhz (Idle)
Temp 74-75
When Stressing with PBO
CPU from 1.3 decreasing to 0.9 constantly it takes like 3-5 sec
Temp Throttle, if I turn off throttle then it shut down because of overheat
It get worst now, it wont go past 800mhz

May 19, 2020
The cooler isn't properly attached. Remove it, clean and replace the thermal paste and try again.

Check to make sure there isn't a clear plastic cover on the bottom of the cooler.

I will get you updated on that, the thermal paste I brought still on shipping. still figuring out other possible mistakes.

the condition right now is cant be use for productivity at all :(

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Sounds like a badly mounted cooler. You can try to remount it with the existing thermal compound. Its not good practice, but still might improve your situation.
On top of that you might want to rethink your cooler choice. On that 12 core you might want to get a more potent cooler on the long run.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution
May 19, 2020
On that 12 core you might want to get a more potent cooler on the long run

I will keep that in mind. maybe underclocked after fixing the thermal compound. saving money comes first at times like this :( hahaha

Is it okay tho? just remount the cooler without reapply the thermal compound?

Last edited: