xFuchs23

Honorable
May 10, 2014
Okay, so I recently built a 3900x based system
3900x (under volted because 1.48v stock is way too much imo)
Corsair H100i Platinum AIO (Reseated it with fresh past aswell, nice thin layer all across the IHS)
Asus ROG X570-E
Gaming X-Trio 2080
Trident Z Neo 3600 32gb. (DOCP Enabled)
Rm750w PSU
Lian li Lancool II case with 5 intake and 3 exhaust fans.

My Temps at idle are anywhere from 48-55 at idle and gaming they get up to high mid 60s to low 70s. Running C20 get me up to 78-80 and my score is a lot lower to others I've seen, mine is only 61-6200. Aida 64 usually stabilizes around 85C and I've had spikes all the way to 92C.
Of all the things I've heard and read, quite a few people are having heat issues, but I can't seem to find a decent fix.
All of these are with the CPU undervolted to 1.3v, SOC 1.2V, VDDG 1V
Any and all help/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Solution
First, your case can have a huge impact. Try running the CPU while you have the sidepanels open.

Also, your temps aren't terrible. I was hitting similar temps with my 3900x and Noctua NH-U12A. I have now settled on 4.225Ghz 1.2375V. I get over 80 degrees running my CPU at 90%. Your temps will probably be a little worse, but not by much as the cooler has almost the same performance.

I suggest trying to undervolt even further especially when you don't have a high overclock. The chip can probably take it.

xFuchs23

Honorable
May 10, 2014
A few side notes I forgot to mention.
My cpu temps fluctuate so much that my fans almost always idling up, then right back down. Is it normal for temps to fluctuate that much? My previous build was a 1700x and my temps were almost always steady.
Also, more of a random question, when I set my color through the asus software it sets my fans, mobo and ram, but my ram never stays the color I set it to. It'll stay white for a few seconds and switch right back to the rainbow stock flow.
Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

xFuchs23

Honorable
May 10, 2014
Yes, I took everything back to factory settings except DOCP. But the temps were about 10c higher at idle, mid to high 70s while gaming, and the benchmarks were high 80s low 90s.

xFuchs23

Honorable
May 10, 2014
I tried that to begin with, same result. I've done all that I can think to do. I know that lower temps with this same cooler is possible (I've read other forums with people saying it) but I just don't know how. They're temps out of the box are lower than mine that is undervolted. I don't get it!

Temps will fluctuate a lot as the processor boosts and idles. But because it's one core only at a time the temp spikes during boosts are very low energy and don't add a lot to the processors actual thermal load.

The best thing to get an idea of true thermal load is to look at an average temperature readout like Ryzenmaster has, or get HWInfo64 which has an average readout. Tell us what one of those are and how it tracks as you use it.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019
First, your case can have a huge impact. Try running the CPU while you have the sidepanels open.

Also, your temps aren't terrible. I was hitting similar temps with my 3900x and Noctua NH-U12A. I have now settled on 4.225Ghz 1.2375V. I get over 80 degrees running my CPU at 90%. Your temps will probably be a little worse, but not by much as the cooler has almost the same performance.

I suggest trying to undervolt even further especially when you don't have a high overclock. The chip can probably take it.

Solution