[SOLVED] 3900X With H100i running at 90 degrees

Jul 20, 2021
Hi. I have a 3900x with a H100i and I've noticed it's getting up to 90 degrees while gaming. It's in a 280X Corsair case. Is this normal ?

Solution
Hi. I have a 3900x with a H100i and I've noticed it's getting up to 90 degrees while gaming. It's in a 280X Corsair case. Is this normal ?

Yes , you really do have a problem. The temps should not be going that high unless under serious load. What kind of Thermal Paste are you using, stock on AIO or your own?

If you are not sure or it's been a while since you reapplied the Thermal Paste I would clean the old stuff off and apply new Paste. I would try Artic Silver MX5 or Thermal Grizzly Hydonought (Water Cooling)

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015

Yes , you really do have a problem. The temps should not be going that high unless under serious load. What kind of Thermal Paste are you using, stock on AIO or your own?

If you are not sure or it's been a while since you reapplied the Thermal Paste I would clean the old stuff off and apply new Paste. I would try Artic Silver MX5 or Thermal Grizzly Hydonought (Water Cooling)

Solution
Jul 20, 2021

I'm using Arctic MX4. Only installed the CPU at the end of last year. I hate putting the cooler back on the CPU. I'm worried about breaking it.

Jul 20, 2021
Also what are you using to get that temp reading ?
UseRyzen Master or Hwinfo64 (sensors only) to confirm. Also don't let hwi64 monitor the corsair h100i as I have had issues letting it, so tell it no on monitoring h100i.
I used Ryzen Master. Using Core Temp now and I'm currently playing Life Is Strange and it's hitting around 70-80

Do you have any fan speeds or any other readings showing?

If not some things to check
1 that the 9pin usb to micro usb is properly connected to the mobo and at the pump head.
2 try a different 9pin usb mobo header if you have 1.
3 in device manager down in the usb section look for a corsair usb or a unknown device.
There have been times where I have had to enable that device from there.

Here in the last few corsair Icue updates the Gui was changed click on the h100i look for cooling or performance if you still don't see any info I would rerun the corsair software from the original software installer, it should ask if you want to uninstall or repair, you can try the repair 1st if that doesn't repair it then go back in to uninstall it.
If it asks if you want to remove the config files also tell it yes.
I then use Ccleaner using the registry section cleaner, when finished I rerun The Corsair installer to install Icue.

There have been a few occasions where I have had to unhook the 9pin from its header and replug it or change headers While the cpu is up and running.
At that time listen for the windows Usb connect sound as if you plugged in or unplugged a usb device.

Jul 20, 2021
If your case airflow is poor you can easily hit 90c. Try taking the side panel off and pointing a room fan at it...if things improve dramatically it would indicate the h100i is getting heat soaked from poor airflow.
It is in a small shelf on my desk. Can't have it anywhere else since it's carpet. I have reapplied paste and games are hitting between 70-80 now.