Feb 20, 2016
GPU: MSI R9 390X

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150

RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro

GPU Drivers: Windows basic display driver

Description of Problem: On the 8th of February while in a game of CSGO my screen went black and I couldn't do anything. So I hard reset my computer hoping it would work again. Nope! After the window's logo showed it just stayed black. After many tries I went to safe mode and uninstalled my drivers (15.12) using DDU. While installing the latest drivers (16.1.1) it crashes during installation (black screen, no signal.) I started a cycle. Hard reset, stayed black after logo, uninstall using DDU,this time install an older version, and it still crashed during installation. Every driver version including the one that came with the CD goes black screen during installation. I was on Windows 8.1 btw.

I didn’t know what to do so I RMA my card. While my card was away I upgraded and clean installed Windows 10. I have been using the onboard graphics until then. Today on the 19th of February I have received my “new” card since MSI couldn’t fix my old card. Excitedly, I plug in the gpu and booted up my computer. Trying to install 16.1.1 hotfix for windows 10 and it is still crashing. The card is working since I’m able to view my desktop using the basic display driver. I don’t know what to do anymore.

TLDR: This happens whenever I try to install any version of AMD drivers. http://imgur.com/f19Eoby

Troubleshooting: I tried installing the driver while my monitor was plug into the i/O panel. The driver install perfectly but then when I plug in the monitor to the gpu it just black screen after the windows logo. Another thing I tried was installing drivers using hdmi on my tv. Didn't work.
Tried installing the 15.12 driver using AMD Minimal Setup. It was able to install but about 1 min after the reboot (while I was jumping for joy) my computer restarted it self. It got stuck after the windows logo. Also, this time the GPU fans were going 100% full speed.

I have asked in other forums where one I had no responses and the other forum one user suggested it could be my PSU not giving enough power to my GPU. Any other suggestions?

Update: I was really irritated last night so I DDU and shut down my computer. This morning on the 20th of February I got up to post this looking for more help. After I was done posting I decided to maybe try again, so I went to the set up of 16.1.1 hotfix. It gave me a list of what to install. I unchecked everything and only left to install the display drivers. Some how it worked. I rebooted the computer and still no black screen. I don't think I have Crimson since when I right click my desktop I have no "AMD settings" option. But I do believe I have the current drivers. I'll update if I crash. Here is what it says on GPU Z http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/02/20/mgz.png

Update 2: After I got the drivers to work I did a benchmark on GRID 2 and everything was fine. I downloaded MSI Afterburner to set up a custom fan curve because the card runs a little to hot without it (60c idle). While setting up the fan curve my computer just shut down and now won't start at all. I'm pushing the button and it won't start at all.

Update 3: I open my computer and checked the wiring. Push down to make sure all was good. Connected everything in and it turned on. I went to MSI Afterburner and was able to set my fan curve. So far no crashes in the last 5 mins or so...I just have bad luck.

Update 4: So far no crashes and was able to play The Division beta for a bit. I still don't have "AMD settings" but as long as I can play games I don't really care. I just hope it doesn't crash anymore when I have to update again.

MachineGunTRex

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Really? Im not sure about the 8Gb. What problems might occur? I had MSI afterburner for the cpu stats while I was using the on-board graphics. Actually I was about to make an update to the post. After I got the drivers to work I did a benchmark on GRID 2 and everything was fine. I downloaded MSI Afterburner to set up a custom fan curve because the card runs a little to hot without it (60c idle). While setting up the fan curve my computer just shut down and now won't start at all.

MachineGunTRex

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

I know that's hot. When I first bought the card in July I did some research and I guess that's the normal idle temp for the MSI 390X since the fans does not start until it needs to. This is the 2nd card and it's the same (60c) without fan curve. Like I said in my update, everything has been up and running so far. No crashes. Going to try to play TF2 to see what happens. Downloading The Division beta to see if it'll crash.

MachineGunTRex

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. I'm just very unlucky. Yes, they are up to date (I know for sure the mother board is, not sure about my GPU since the issues I'm having). I was able to play The Division beta for about 30 mins without crash so that was good.

Roger_18

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

Amd FX 9370 8 core 32 gigs dram msi r9 390 gaming 8 gb... My processor and GPU was running very hot even with a thermaltake 3.0 on processor and 5 fans built into case. My normal temps now are CPU 17C Motherboard 16C GPU 31C. I installed a window air conditioner behind pc and using fiberglass formed air scoops to force air through my water cooler and directly on my ram and GPU. I also opened the case up No sides at all and reversed the fan on my watercooler to pull air inward. at load of FPS 292 GPU temp got up to 58C I use MSI Gaming app OC Afterburner and Kombuster also as a backup to compare OpenHardwareMonitor And ASUS AI Suite. At loads my CPU temp was 23C and MB temp was 19C. AC forced air is the only way to run these types of systems in my opinion.

Cameron_14

Reputable
Feb 29, 2016
Hey man.

This is old but I had the EXACT same problem. Stupid no signal bullshit had me at my wits end..
Comp would boot fine but after the first windows logo initiation screen i would get "no signal"
If I unplugged my GPU and ran integrated graphics it would boot mint. Easy to assume here that something is f* and needs replaced. But don't underestimate an AMD gpu, because it might just be a stupid driver that gives you all the indications that it's fried when it isn't..

Things I did.

• completely installed windows from fresh -(no success)
  • DDU'd over and over and over then installing new drivers. - (no success as it would lose signal during install)
  • Reset my bios overclocks -(no success)
  • Cleared all dust out of case (-no success)
  • (reseated GPU + checked connections a billion times. -(no success)

Then today. DDU unstalled AMD graphics. Downloaded the new 19.10.1 Drivers released 10/17/19.
Before I installed them I went into services.msc and force stopped windows update, superfetch and windows search.
Thats when I ran the new drivers and BAM. IT ACTUALLY WORKED. WTF??

But ye. Glad to know I'm not the only bastard with this issue. Looking forward to switching to Nvidia this black friday.

Cheers!