3D games produce a buzzing sound

Deleriant

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hope this is the right place to be asking, cos I'm just running through my motherboard, but I think the issue is related to my video card...anyway, here's my problem:

Any time I'm running a game with 3D graphics (Diablo 3, Battlefield 3), my speakers produce a buzzing sound. My headphones don't produce the noise, and if I switch the speakers to the front panel on my case (where my headphones are usually plugged in), the buzzing sound gets louder. I've tried disabling in-game sound, with no effect.

I'm running a GTX 570, AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 and a pair of Mackie MR8 MKII's.

I never noticed the sound until I upgraded from my Logitech Z4s, to the Mackies. Also, while I'm on the topic...will I notice any difference in sound quality if I were to chuck a sound card into my rig? I've heard mixed reports, so I don't want to drop $200+ on a sound card if I won't notice the difference. I can tell when audio quality is shithouse, but I'm no audiophile.

Would really appreciate any assistance here, as I've got nfi when it comes to audio gear and troubleshooting.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Sounds like a grounding issue or interferance with the speakers themseles. Try plugging them into an mp3 player or something and see if you still get buzzing. if you do thenreplace them.
if not then make sure there are no power cables etc near the audio cable between the system and speakers.

Deleriant

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Thanks for the input, plasmastorm.

Plugging them into an mp3 player won't help, because the buzzing isn't a constant. It only happens when I'm playing 3d games.

I tried moving the audio lead as far away from the power supply/cables as possible, but to no avail. Perhaps there is interference happening within the case? How would I test for that?

Deleriant

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help.

I just realised that I didn't mention one thing. If the game is running, but I'm switched away from it, there is no buzz. There is only a buzz when the game is actually on the screen. Definitely seems like a video card thing, but from what I've read, this could also be electrical interference from the card drawing more power.

Deleriant

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Strangeness abound! I've noticed changing my power plan to power saver cuts out the high pitched whine from moving the mouse, but doesn't affect the buzzing sound from 3D games. And yes, I'm shamelessly bumping by replying to myself instead of editing my post <3

syonix

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Did u solved the problem? I've a same problem and didn't found any solutions...

Deleriant

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

I haven't picked up an external sound card as of yet, but after countless hours of research, I feel it's my only option.

Good luck, friend.